• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next Bud rumor: New York Knicks

rd79

This entire situation captures the dilemma the Hawks brass found themselves in. Talent wins games. The best way to get a top flight talent has proven to be through the draft. However, a top flight coach may not want to wait around to see that come to fruition. As painful as it might be to see Bud walk, it feels like Schlenk/Ressler would rather get the talent, suffer through a few miserable years and then (as the talent flourishes) either find a coach that can take it to the next level or hope that a cheaper option has what it takes to do the same.

I'd really hate to see Bud go. Over the past few days, I've been up and down around the notion of him leaving. I'm at the point where (as much as it pains me to say it)...let him walk. Schlenk obviously has a plan and most GMs want to bring in their own guys anyway. You can't find much better than Bud. That said, finding the next big thing won't happen in free agency. The draft is the way to go. Onward with the process.

2 hours ago, WillBarrow said:

Would NY lottery pick even be in play??

I would imagine it would be. That NY only main asset that out there. This is why I believe there is no way Bud will leave Atlanta.. the cost is too high

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Then the solution is simple.  Give Bud an extension and a pay raise that ensures all the losing this team is going to suffer over the next several years doesn't affect his status as head coach.

My guess is, that sleazeball Schlenk wants Bud to absorb the losses so "his" choice at head coach doesn't have to.

I dont think that is happening either. I think there is an issue even if all parties like each other. This really comes down to the tanking. Something happen and we just dont have Bud 100% buy in right now. 

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I dont think that is happening either. I think there is an issue even if all parties like each other. This really comes down to the tanking. Something happen and we just dont have Bud 100% buy in right now. 

I think Bud made his disdain for tanking very clear when he mentioned that Brett Brown should be "Coach of the Last 5 years" and said that Brett is one of the only ones he knows of that could handle what he has gone through for the past 5 years.

• Like 1

Just now, KB21 said:

I think Bud made his disdain for tanking very clear when he mentioned that Brett Brown should be "Coach of the Last 5 years" and said that Brett is one of the only ones he knows of that could handle what he has gone through for the past 5 years.

Yep, he hates this tank and he hates that Senlenk wants to use the cap space to get more draft picks instead of trying to sign or trade for a legit player. Hes not 100% down with the tank and that's the problem. Right now, hes limited in the teams Atlanta will approve for interviews due to Atlanta's high demands for draft compensation. 

That said, Bud anger is due to Senlenk wanting to use cap space in 2020 lowering Buds coaching value for when hes a coaching FA. At the end of day, it really depends on this draft. If Atlanta hits this draft out of the park, Bud will likely get an extension this off season paying him in the 10 mil + range.

But Bud and his agent are really pushing for more long term stability and the Hawks are open to it but it seems the direction is the problem. The thing is, everyone is down for the tank. Everyone.  Bud is one who isn't and maybe some other coaches. 

If Bud leaves, Atlanta will be well compensated and that's the reason why Bud ain't leaving because teams are balking at the price tag 

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

The cupboard was never too bare to have that option.  Retooling on the fly takes a little bit of work though, and I don't think Schlenk was willing to do any hard stuff to retool the team on the fly.  The easiest route for him was to just fill the roster with filler and go with a bunch of damn G-League level players.

When Schlenk assumed the GM role in May of 2017, he was left with the following expiring contracts:

Jose Calderon, Mike Dunleavy, Tim Hardaway Jr, Thabo Sefolosha, Kris Humphries, Ersan Ilysova, Paul Millsap, Ryan Kelly, Mike Muscala

Remember, the era of big sign-and-trades has passed us by. We were lucky to get a late 1st rd pick for Millsap.

So, he was really only left with the following assets:

Dennis Schröder, Malcolm Delaney, De'Andre Bembry, Kent Bazemore, Taurean Prince, Dwight Howard

This collection of assets includes 3 bloated contracts (in a tight financial market), 1 Euro refugee, and 2 unproven youngsters.

That's a pretty bare cupboard.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yep, he hates this tank and he hates that Senlenk wants to use the cap space to get more draft picks instead of trying to sign or trade for a legit player. Hes not 100% down with the tank and that's the problem. Right now, hes limited in the teams Atlanta will approve for interviews due to Atlanta's high demands for draft compensation. 

That said, Bud anger is due to Senlenk wanting to use cap space in 2020 lowering Buds coaching value for when hes a coaching FA. At the end of day, it really depends on this draft. If Atlanta hits this draft out of the park, Bud will likely get an extension this off season paying him in the 10 mil + range.

But Bud and his agent are really pushing for more long term stability and the Hawks are open to it but it seems the direction is the problem. The thing is, everyone is down for the tank. Everyone.  Bud is one who isn't and maybe some other coaches. 

If Bud leaves, Atlanta will be well compensated and that's the reason why Bud ain't leaving because teams are balking at the price tag 

Like I said earlier, Schlenk is a sleazy son of a bitch that wants Bud to absorb the heavy losses so "his choice" at head coach doesn't have to.

1 minute ago, parfait said:

When Schlenk assumed the GM role in May of 2017, he was left with the following expiring contracts:

Jose Calderon, Mike Dunleavy, Tim Hardaway Jr, Thabo Sefolosha, Kris Humphries, Ersan Ilysova, Paul Millsap, Ryan Kelly, Mike Muscala

Remember, the era of big sign-and-trades has passed us by. We were lucky to get a late 1st rd pick for Millsap.

So, he was really only left with the following assets:

Dennis Schröder, Malcolm Delaney, De'Andre Bembry, Kent Bazemore, Taurean Prince, Dwight Howard

This collection of assets includes 3 bloated contracts (in a tight financial market), 1 Euro refugee, and 2 unproven youngsters.

That's a pretty bare cupboard.

We didn't get a late 1st round pick for Paul Millsap.  We got a late 1st round pick for taking on Jamal Crawford's contract.  Paul wasn't a part of that deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Like I said earlier, Schlenk is a sleazy son of a bitch that wants Bud to absorb the heavy losses so "his choice" at head coach doesn't have to.

When I say everyone is down for the tank, that means way more than Travis S. That's the entire leadership. Atlanta wants to be a marquee franchise. Cant do that without stars and a great team.

From all I heard in the convo. Atlanta sees Bud as the coach for this franchise for many years to come.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

We didn't get a late 1st round pick for Paul Millsap.  We got a late 1st round pick for taking on Jamal Crawford's contract.  Paul wasn't a part of that deal.

You're right. The original deal was reported as a multiple team trade, but then it was simplified for technical reasons. But the pick was sent as part of all of the machinations surrounding the signings of Galinari and Millsap.

4 minutes ago, terrell said:

Letting milsap walk was a HUGE mistake. He's been a beast for Denver in the playoffs. Same for Dwight in Charlotte.. Oh wait a minute..

Denver was a lot closer to being in the playoffs than the Hawks were with their tanking strategy, and had he played the entire season, they would be in the playoffs right now.

6 minutes ago, terrell said:

Letting milsap walk was a HUGE mistake. He's been a beast for Denver in the playoffs. Same for Dwight in Charlotte.. Oh wait a minute..

Ressler can only be blamed for Al Horford but even Bud knew Al was only willing to sign if Atlanta made a serious commitment in trying to build a contender, Bud sign the only player who wanted to sign for Hawks in Dwight. Al wasn't impressed. Al asked for the max. Travis wasn't interested, they offered more than what Boston offered but Al did what Joe did. I want the max. Travis not wanting to make the mistake ASG, passed on Al's demands. He left the Hawks were history. 

Paul did want to stay in Atlanta but the Hawks knew this was a organization that is not highly profitable, so why lock into something that doesn't work. So they passed on him. Honestly, I would have paid Al the max. Hes worth it to me but many even on this site disagree with that take and some thought it was anti Hawks to give Al that contract he demanded.

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Denver was a lot closer to being in the playoffs than the Hawks were with their tanking strategy, and had he played the entire season, they would be in the playoffs right now.

Close only counts in horseshoes. lol. And injuries happen alot to older players. He'll miss games next year too. bank on it.....

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Why do you keep saying 5 years?  I keep this timeline repeated when it has been addressed several times.  Let's repeat:

Year 0 - 2012-13 Philly Attempting to Make the Playoffs Fails -Coach Doug Collins

Year 1 - 2013-14 Philly Starts Tanking, Hires Brett Brown

Year 2 - 2014-15 Tank Year 2

Year 3 - 2015-16 Tank Year 3

Year 4- 2016-17 Tank Year 4, End of Tank

Year 5 - 2017-18 - Philly Wins 52 games, Earns Third Seed and Looks Likely to be In the Second Round of the Playoffs

Year 5 since the start of the tank and year 5 of Brett Brown's time as Philly Coach has been a joy for everyone involved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

The cupboard was never too bare to have that option.  Retooling on the fly takes a little bit of work though, and I don't think Schlenk was willing to do any hard stuff to retool the team on the fly.  The easiest route for him was to just fill the roster with filler and go with a bunch of damn G-League level players.

Besides Dennis who do we have that you would consider would be top twenty at there position. Whiffed on draft picks. One thing I love a about the spurs, warriors, Celtics of the world they love teams that over think things and take the best talent and worry about the other things later.

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Ressler can only be blamed for Al Horford but even Bud knew Al was only willing to sign if Atlanta made a serious commitment in trying to build a contender, Bud sign the only player who wanted to sign for Hawks in Dwight. Al wasn't impressed. Al asked for the max. Travis wasn't interested, they offered more than what Boston offered but Al did what Joe did. I want the max. Travis not wanting to make the mistake ASG, passed on Al's demands. He left the Hawks were history. 

Paul did want to stay in Atlanta but the Hawks knew this was a organization that is not highly profitable, so why lock into something that doesn't work. So they passed on him. Honestly, I would have paid Al the max. Hes worth it to me but many even on this site disagree with that take and some thought it was anti Hawks to give Al that contract he demanded.

Supes, I think you meant to say Bud-Cox passed on Al by not offering the max. That was a year before Travis came aboard.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

Besides Dennis who do we have that you would consider would be top twenty at there position. Whiffed on draft picks. One thing I love a about the spurs, warriors, Celtics of the world they love teams that over think things and take the best talent and worry about the other things later.

KB wanted to keep Paul Millsap.  He wasn't a top 20 PF this season but was his last year with us.  Good chance he returns to that level next year.

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Why do you keep saying 5 years?  I keep this timeline repeated when it has been addressed several times.  Let's repeat:

Year 0 - 2012-13 Philly Attempting to Make the Playoffs Fails -Coach Doug Collins

Year 1 - 2013-14 Philly Starts Tanking, Hires Brett Brown

Year 2 - 2014-15 Tank Year 2

Year 3 - 2015-16 Tank Year 3

Year 4- 2016-17 Tank Year 4, End of Tank

Year 5 - 2017-18 - Philly Wins 52 games, Earns Third Seed and Looks Likely to be In the Second Round of the Playoffs

Year 5 since the start of the tank and year 5 of Brett Brown's time as Philly Coach has been a joy for everyone involved.

Because that is what it was:  https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/csn/sixers/Coach_of_the_Year__Brett_Brown__Coach_of_the_Last_5_Years_-478454213.html

"Obviously it's a ‘Coach of the Year' thing, but I think it's a ‘Coach of the Last Five Years," Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer said.

"I don't want to be too dramatic, but I think he's one of the only guys that can pull a team and an organization through what they've been through," Budenholzer said.