• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next Bud rumor: New York Knicks

rd79

49 minutes ago, KB21 said:

GM Bud didn't do the damage though.  That was the owner Ressler when he mandated that GM Bud sign Dwight Howard.

The fact that Schlenk chose to tank this team to the bottom of the NBA tells me all I need to know about him.  

Bud the GM was not good.  Your rose -colored glasses don't see it, but I agree that's he's a helluva coach.  While you are upset at the rebuild, even if Bud would have maintained some sort of separation of duty and stayed coach, this roster would not have needed this overhaul you complain about.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KB21 said:

GM Bud didn't do the damage though.  That was the owner Ressler when he mandated that GM Bud sign Dwight Howard.

The fact that Schlenk chose to tank this team to the bottom of the NBA tells me all I need to know about him.  

That you don't know what you're talking about? 

• Like 2

I am ready for this to end. Bud clearly does not want to be the Hawks coach. The real problem is who is going to pay him what we are? After getting coach of the year and then redoing his contract he is probably one of the top ten highest paid coaches in the NBA.

Secondly, he probably wants some type of GM authority and I doubt he gets that from the GMs who are conducting the interviews. Quite honestly, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We have a coach who does not want to be here; and apparently a few NBA teams are interested but not at his asking price.

If he is willing to take a pay cut to say 5 million a year, he gets hired. If not, he should stop with the damn interview drama and get back to Atlanta, his team, and his family.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Bud should tell Tony Ressler that he's not coaching if Schlenk remains GM.

I doubt very seriously Bud is willing to quit and give up his 13 to 14 million over the next two years. If so, he would be gone. Bud's power play is weak as he has no real options since he is under contract.

Bud should really be worried about how badly he is hurting his reputation. Two more years of this and he will be hoping to get on as an assistant again with the Spurs when his contract is up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Ressler forcing Howard upon Bud, as is the prevailing rumor, was definitely foolish on his part, and ranks as the 2nd worst move that he has made as an owner. The #1 worst move he has made as an owner was not conducting a proper search for a replacement GM for Danny Ferry and handing the title to the unqualified duo of Bud and Wilcox.

And, unfortunately, the Howard deal was not the worst of contracts given out. The worst contract given out by the Hawks organization in recent memory was the 4 year deal for above-average starter's money Bud gave to a 7th man, Kent Bazemore. This is probably the worst contract given by the Hawks organization since Jon Koncak. Heck, at least Howard is still considered by most to be a starter, and the deal was only for 3 years.

GM Bud also pissed away the 2015 draft for 2 years of Tim Hardaway, Jr. Not to mention his lack of savvy in handling the expiring contracts of Horford and Milsap. Can't blame those on Ressler. GM Bud was simply in over his head.

GM Schlenk has the pedigree to do far better. Let's give him a reasonable amount of time to prove it.

Edited by parfait
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, parfait said:

Ressler forcing Howard upon Bud, as is the prevailing rumor, was definitely foolish on his part, and ranks as the 2nd worst move that he has made as an owner. The #1 worst move he has made as an owner was not conducting a proper search for a replacement GM for Danny Ferry and handing the title to the unqualified duo of Bud and Wilcox.

And, unfortunately, the Howard deal was not the worst of contracts given out. The worst contract given out by the Hawks organization in recent memory was the 4 year deal for above-average starter's money Bud gave to a 7th man, Kent Bazemore. This is probably the worst contract given by the Hawks organization since Jon Koncak. Heck, at least Howard is still considered by most to be a starter, and the deal was only for 3 years.

GM Bud also pissed away the 2015 draft for 2 years of Tim Hardaway, Jr. Not to mention his lack of savvy in handling the expiring contracts of Horford and Milsap. Can't blame those on Ressler. GM Bud was simply in over his head.

GM Schlenk has the pedigree to do far better. Let's give him a reasonable amount of time to prove it.

So, how much time is a reasonable amount of time?  5  years?  10 years?  You know who else had the pedigree and went the tanking route just like Schlenk?  Rob Hennigan.  Where's he at now?

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I doubt very seriously Bud is willing to quit and give up his 13 to 14 million over the next two years. If so, he would be gone. Bud's power play is weak as he has no real options since he is under contract.

Bud should really be worried about how badly he is hurting his reputation. Two more years of this and he will be hoping to get on as an assistant again with the Spurs when his contract is up.

Y'all just keep making excuse after excuse for this dude!!!  No one is forcing Bud to do the things he is currently doing.  Management is not delusional about Bud's value..Bud is over valuing his importance in the NBA all by himself.  The cold reality will hit Bud at some point and he will realize that he is not in as much demand as he thinks because his resume is not all that great.  Aside from a marvelous 1 month during his career, his record has been close to .500...Not good.  I actually hope someone wants Bud and is willing to give up compensation.  But even I know that at this point it will be highly unlikely.  He will likely serve out his last 2 years here and continue a mediocre career with another team cause ain't no stars recommending his services to their GM's.

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, how much time is a reasonable amount of time?  5  years?  10 years?  You know who else had the pedigree and went the tanking route just like Schlenk?  Rob Hennigan.  Where's he at now?

You know what's a reasonable amount of time?...more than just 1 year, lol. I would say at least 3 years. In fact, what if I told you that this rebuild is not the endless, slow-burn of a rebuild that you are assuming it to be. What if the parameters of the rebuild are as follows:

Year 1 ('17-18): Tank majorly, but remain competitive/entertaining, Sign quality veterans to value 1 year contracts. Accumulate draft capital - ALREADY ACCOMPLISHED.

Year 2 ('18-19): Accumulate further draft capital via taking on bad contracts no greater than 2 years. Develop current youngsters. Integrate more quality rookies. Sign quality veterans to value 1 year contracts. - SHOOT FOR 30+ WINS.

Year 3 ('19-20): Accumulate further draft capital via taking on bad contracts no greater than 1 year. Develop youngsters further. Integrate a couple of more rookies. Sign quality veterans to value 1 year contracts. - SHOOT FOR 40+ WINS/PLAYOFF CONTENTION.

Year 4 ('20-21): The Schröder, Plumlee, and Bazemore contracts have expired. A bevy of youngsters have been developed. Sign 1-2 impact free agents the summer of '20 with massive capspace. - SOLID EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFF TEAM.

Of course, they have to pick the right players. But accumulating more #1's provides better odds to do so. And they need to continue to develop players as they have. But, if they were a borderline playoff team by '19-20, and a solid playoff team by '20-21, wouldn't that be reasonable? I believe so, and I believe that this is in fact Schlenk's timeline based on the length of their current contracts.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all just keep making excuse after excuse for this dude!!!  No one is forcing Bud to do the things he is currently doing.  Management is not delusional about Bud's value..Bud is over valuing his importance in the NBA all by himself.  The cold reality will hit Bud at some point and he will realize that he is not in as much demand as he thinks because his resume is not all that great.  Aside from a marvelous 1 month during his career, his record has been close to .500...Not good.  I actually hope someone wants Bud and is willing to give up compensation.  But even I know that at this point it will be highly unlikely.  He will likely serve out his last 2 years here and continue a mediocre career with another team cause ain't no stars recommending his services to their GM's.

I am not making any excuses for him. I agree and think he is over valuing himself. In a previous post, I even said if he needs to take a pay cut to get hired by someone else. No one will probably pay him what we are paying him. He needs to come to terms with that one way or the other.

His hometown, Phoenix, balked on signing him. That alone should have given him a clue.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, parfait said:

You know what's a reasonable amount of time?...more than just 1 year, lol. I would say at least 3 years. In fact, what if I told you that this rebuild is not the endless, slow-burn of a rebuild that you are assuming it to be. What if the parameters of the rebuild are as follows:

Year 1 ('17-18): Tank majorly, but remain competitive/entertaining, Sign quality veterans to value 1 year contracts. Accumulate draft capital - ALREADY ACCOMPLISHED.

Year 2 ('18-19): Accumulate further draft capital via taking on bad contracts no greater than 2 years. Develop current youngsters. Integrate more quality rookies. Sign quality veterans to value 1 year contracts. - SHOOT FOR 30+ WINS.

Year 3 ('19-20): Accumulate further draft capital via taking on bad contracts no greater than 1 year. Develop youngsters further. Integrate a couple of more rookies. Sign quality veterans to value 1 year contracts. - SHOOT FOR 40+ WINS/PLAYOFF CONTENTION.

Year 4 ('20-21): The Schröder, Plumlee, and Bazemore contracts have expired. A bevy of youngsters have been developed. Sign 1-2 impact free agents the summer of '20 with massive capspace. - SOLID EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFF TEAM.

Of course, they have to pick the right players. But accumulating more #1's provides better odds to do so. And they need to continue to develop players as they have. But, if they were a borderline playoff team by '19-20, and a solid playoff team by '20-21, wouldn't that be reasonable? I believe so, and I believe that this is in fact Schlenk's timeline based on the length of their current contracts.

...and I will tell you that it will not work out that way.  For one, unless this team signs some quality vets this off season that aren't just roster filler like what Schlenk signed this off season, 30 plus wins for this team is a pipe dream.  This team is going to be worse in year two than they are in year one.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Bud should tell Tony Ressler that he's not coaching if Schlenk remains GM.

I don’t think bud is in position to tell anybody anything. His current situation is all on him. I mean he asked for permission to interview.  His contract demands prolly won’t get met. Although I’m hoping New York sells him the world because I don’t want anyone that doesn’t want to be a hawk here.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

I don’t think bud is in position to tell anybody anything. His current situation is all on him. I mean he asked for permission to interview.  His contract demands prolly won’t get met. Although I’m hoping New York sells him the world because I don’t want anyone that doesn’t want to be a hawk here.

That's certainly the case if the Hawks don't want an actual good coach at this point, which it appears they don't.  They'd rather continue the losing ways from this year.

18 minutes ago, JTB said:

Some of you sure do like to shit on the good we have ....then bitch when it’s gone.

Like some like to bitch about the NOW situation which is rebuild, retool, re-whatever you want to call it?  If Bud doesn't want to be here he shouldn't.  I don't blame him, but at the end of the day LeBron and the reincarnate of Michael Jordan and Pippen aren't here nor are any viable free agents.  @parfaitlaid it out well.  Bud the GM is just as much to blame.  Most posters have said they'd like him to stay but if he doesn't want to be the Hawk's coach, godspeed.

Edited by deester11
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, JTB said:

Some of you sure do like to shit on the good we have ....then bitch when it’s gone.

This fan base is baffling...While other coaches are hoisting trophies and competing like Brad Stevens, this fan base continues to think that their coach is superior to those coaches.  Just confusing!:blink:

7 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Like some like to bitch about the NOW situation which is rebuild, retool, re-whatever you want to call it?  If Bud doesn't want to be here he shouldn't.  I don't blame him, but at the end of the day LeBron and the reincarnate of Michael Jordan and Pippen aren't here nor are any viable free agents.  @parfaitlaid it out well.  Bud the GM is just as much to blame.  Most posters have said they'd like him to stay but if he doesn't want to be the Hawk's coach, godspeed.

This is it in a nutshell. The complainers, antagonist, make up 2/3 of the post here; so if we ever do win a championship all you will get is crickets.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I heard through the grapevine that NY could offer us Mudiay and a 2nd rd pick. lol..(just a rumor from a friend up North). I guess people wanting a 1st rdr for DUI Bud can keep dreaming..haha.. I like him, but he's starting to get on my damn nerves........Im a Hawks fan more than IM a Bud fan...

Edited by buckyboy2
  • Like 3