• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Search is over; Pierce is the man!

Buzzard

This really might be a great thing for Dennis.  He is still so young and am cautiously optimistic he could have a great year.   While his salary is highish, I really don't think his or Bazemore's for that matter is a disaster.  Rather, the dead money for the two fellas who went to Philly actually bother me more.

Given our current direction,  I really hope we hang on to Ham and other top tier assistants considering Summer League takes on added importance when we are going have a surfeit of first and second year players.

• Moderators
Just now, Jungle Jack said:

This really might be a great thing for Dennis.  He is still so young and am cautiously optimistic he could have a great year.   While his salary is highish, I really don't think his or Bazemore's for that matter is a disaster.  Rather, the dead money for the two fellas who went to Philly actually bother me more.

Given our current direction,  I really hope we hang on to Ham and other top tier assistants considering Summer League takes on added importance when we are going have a surfeit of first and second year players.

Both are UFAs so no dead money coming into next year from Ilya or Belli.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Both are UFAs so no dead money coming into next year from Ilya or Belli.

My mistake, I read somewhere else that they still had either salary or cap consequences.  Really glad that is not the case.  Maybe we can jettison Plumlee with the 32 or whatever our 2nd pick.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Flight said:

The fact that a number of players from other teams are giving us props for the hire is actually really encouraging. I’m excited to see what Pierce can do with us going forward. 

Isn't that typical, though? Especially for an assistant getting his first HC gig?

Then again, I'll grant you this much... if it were the opposite, then that would make a huge statement the other way.... so I'm happy that they're not saying, "How'd he get a HC job???" :D

I'm "excited" about this in the same way that I'm excited about my Cowboys' 4th round draft choice, replacing a HOFer TE...

Anxious to see what happens. Conscious that there's the occasional 4th rounder who rises to the top, like that starting QB of ours.... and... to be balanced.... conscious of the scrap heap of 4th rounders who proved to be JAGs on special teams for a couple of years then faded into football history oblivion.

Maybe Dalton Schultz will be the next generation's Jason Witten.

I sure hope so.

And Pierce, the next generation's Popvich.

I sure hope so.

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

My mistake, I read somewhere else that they still had either salary or cap consequences.  Really glad that is not the case.  Maybe we can jettison Plumlee with the 32 or whatever our 2nd pick.

No reason to give up draft capital to jettison any player now...I trust that LP won't have a Bud like rotation so no chance Bumlee gets 34 starts next season.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, SerbianHawk said:

Bottom of the bottom of the bottom of the bottom of the barrel junior college move. Great!

Prepare yourself for three years of tanking.

Looks like KB21 has other accounts

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I understand the sentiment of both Plumlee and Bazemore being overpaid but as it currently stands neither are prohibiting us from taking on a bad contract for picks or siging a FA if we choose. We can have up to $30 mil in capspace even with their contracts.

Sending out an asset, even pick #33 is not good asset management based on the current team structure, we are in asset collection mode, not giving them away.

Next offseason there is value in their expiring contracts.

Hey...I said it first but of course you said it better!  I guess great minds do think alike!:biggrin:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sturt said:

I'll grant that possibility. Maybe so.

And I totally agree.... he seemed like a person who had been sideswiped.... or, just as plausible, to me anyway... a person who just made a monumental decision that he was now nervous about answering to.

Impose into the narrative the Steve Koonin interview not that long before the "mutual agreement" was released... the one where Koonin implied that he knew something about the whole drama that would eventually be made public and would make everyone feel positive about the situation... and the head scratching intensifies.

And I agree that I saw a different person when he was first introduced, and for the first several weeks after. Honestly, that deer headlights look, from where I sit, has been a pretty consistent look for the better part of the year.... maybe the time of the Jamal Crawford release(?). I'm sure there have been ebbs and flows in that regard, but the ebbs have been noticeable... I've found myself talking about that a lot in the last 12 hours here. It might actually be meaningless in the big picture and how the story ends, but it would do a lot for my confidence if I only could see a man who himself was confident.

Finishing up, the person that quite possibly, if not probably, had the most to do with all of this is Ressler.

The thrown-for-a-loop thing could easily be a function of Ressler unexpectedly imposing a decision on both Schlenk and Bud.... which might explain why Koonin thought things were going to evolve into something very positive, and then, it didn't.

Was it Bud, Ressler, Schlenk or some combination of two or all three? One day it will come out and if the person stating it is not sued for libel, chances are it will be closer to the truth than anything we know now.

What I do know is Bud was under contract, he did say he loved coaching the Hawks, and a week later we are all shocked to hear he was interviewing in Phoenix with the just as bad Suns. The week after that he was interviewing with the pitiful Knicks. Schlenk looked a little shocked as well the day he had to announce Bud and the Hawks were going their separate ways. These things are all I know.

We have a new coach, we have some young talent, we have the draft coming up. These things I know as well. Lets get er done! Go Hawks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rd79 said:

I'm totally aware of that. I just wanted to have some fun... Who knows when we will have some - while watching the Hawks - again :cool:

My bad. Carry on. Go Hawks!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

We have a new coach, we have some young talent, we have the draft coming up. These things I know as well. Lets get er done! Go Hawks!

Right.

Good luck, Coach Pierce, and may you and the Colonel find a groove that obviously was lacking in the previous relationship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sturt said:

Isn't that typical, though? Especially for an assistant getting his first HC gig?

Then again, I'll grant you this much... if it were the opposite, then that would make a huge statement the other way.... so I'm happy that they're not saying, "How'd he get a HC job???" :D

I'm "excited" about this in the same way that I'm excited about my Cowboys' 4th round draft choice, replacing a HOFer TE...

Anxious to see what happens. Conscious that there's the occasional 4th rounder who rises to the top, like that starting QB of ours.... and... to be balanced.... conscious of the scrap heap of 4th rounders who proved to be JAGs on special teams for a couple of years then faded into football history oblivion.

Maybe Dalton Schultz will be the next generation's Jason Witten.

I sure hope so.

And Pierce, the next generation's Popvich.

I sure hope so.

All this time I thought you were a cool cat.  Cowboys fan bruh?

As far as Pierce, welcome.  My opinion of him will form after seeing 20 games worth of assist, rebounding, and defensive numbers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

All this time I thought you were a cool cat.  Cowboys fan bruh?

As far as Pierce, welcome.  My opinion of him will form after seeing 20 games worth of assist, rebounding, and defensive numbers.

It will be on Schröder, Prince, and Collins. If those three show some real improvement, I will be impressed. I am not sure about our rookies since we do not know who they will be. I am hoping at least one center or a shooting guard is in our draft class. I want both but taking BPA may not setup for that.

If some great prospect drops that Schlenk really likes, it would not surprise me to duplicate a position or two with this many draft picks.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

Anytime you can be considered to be in the mold of someone who has won as many championships as Stevens, that's saying something.

"Something" being the operative word.

I don't need to hear the yadayadayada hype, me. Just let this guy be himself, and let's see where it takes us.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Anytime you can be considered to be in the mold of someone who has won as many championships as Stevens, that's saying something.

I don't need to hear the yadayadayada hype, me. Just let this guy be himself, and let's see where it takes us.

Some are going to hype him, some will hate him, some will take the wait and see middle ground. And all this before he has coached his first game. I think you can find a little of all that in this thread.

We will see how he handles himself at his firs press conference to start with. Then it really is wait and see.

11 minutes ago, sturt said:

Well there’s a lot more to coaching than just winning championships.  I for one would be more wary if a coach is compared to Phil Jackson because my initial thought would be “well that’s good but where’s our MJ, Scottie, Shaq, and Kobe?”

I think it’s apt to make comparisons beyond the end result in terms of approach, scheme, player relations, strategy etc.  I’d even say Phil is not a bad comparison if you’re discussing a coach’s ability to handle egos.  

Also, Cowboys and Nationals?  Throw out any hopes of friendly discourse between you and I.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Some are going to hype him, some will hate him, some will take the wait and see middle ground. And all this before he has coached his first game. I think you can find a little of all that in this thread.

We will see how he handles himself at his firs press conference to start with. Then it really is wait and see.

Maybe he can breathe a little confidence in his boss (?).... hehe... 

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Speaking of Press conferences....any word on when that'll be? I would assume Monday, then draft spot selection on Tuesday.

Edited by JayBirdHawk