• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks Mock Draft 1.0

GrimeyKidd

9 hours ago, falconfan13 said:

I still think im blind and can't find the edit button so i'll just quote what i had typed and add on that if by any chance Doncic says he will play with any team including us then.  No other name besides Bagley, Ayton, or Doncic should be linked to us in this draft.   Thats the true legit tier 1 guys and at 3 we are guaranteed one of them if we don't do anything dumb.   My tier 2 guys would be Porter and Bamba at 4 and 5 and i would have Porter tier 1 as well if he was 100% fully healthy no back problem concerns.    Tier 3 would be Young, JJJ, Carter etc...

I wouldn't trade down past 6 in this draft and honestly wouldn't trade down at all if we can get one of those tier 1 guys guaranteed.

I think Ayton and Bagley will go #1 and #2. I doubt the Hawks take Luka and rumors are both Kings and Hawks will pass on him. 

Trae led the nation in point and assists as a 19 year old freshman. No way I risk Porter who has proven nothing past high school over him. 

Tier 1

Ayton

Bagley

Young

Tier 2

Bamba

Luka

Tier 3 

JJJ

Porter 

Let me clarify that.  If we draft all 4 slots and Dedmon walks, we are in a bind financially.....we'll have too much money for 1 player. We are better suited to draft 3 so we can split the $25 ish million we'd have on 2 players....paying out about $15 million of that so we are above the team minimum but that's it.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Let me clarify that.  If we draft all 4 slots and Dedmon walks, we are in a bind financially.....we'll have too much money for 1 player. We are better suited to draft 3 so we can split the $25 ish million we'd have on 2 players....paying out about $15 million of that so we are above the team minimum but that's it.

Yup...so how far up the draft does 19,30 Dennis and Baze get us? To #8 Cavs? #9 Knicks #10 Sixers? #11 Horcats? #14 Nuggs?

• Like 1

It isn't about who we include, it will be about who we take back?  There are teams that don't want to wait on a pick to develop.  Those teams would be Dallas, Orlando, Cleveland, NY. Those are your targets.  Anyone after 9 isn't worth the trade risk.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Yup...so how far up the draft does 19,30 Dennis and Baze get us? To #8 Cavs? #9 Knicks #10 Sixers? #11 Horcats? #14 Nuggs?

Not far. Besides Dennis' perceived negative value. I don't see one team taking on approx. $34 mil for #19 and #30.

• Like 2

Dennis, 19, and 34 would be the better trade for a top 10 pick from a team wanting/needing a starting PG right now.

“Orlando, is that you?”

”Daaaamn baby, whatchoo do to yo hair?”

”You like it? It’s Autumn Sunrise.”

• Like 2

• Premium Member

No one is giving up cheap draft picks for expensive Vets...  So we are drafting 4 players.  Maybe someone dumps salary to sign Lebron and we pick up a draft pick that way but the other scenarios are what Hawk fans wish would happen not reality

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

No one is giving up cheap draft picks for expensive Vets...  So we are drafting 4 players.  Maybe someone dumps salary to sign Lebron and we pick up a draft pick that way but the other scenarios are what Hawk fans wish would happen not reality

If we draft 4 players, i think one will be a draft n stash. It's more likely we combine 2 picks to move up a little.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

If we draft 4 players, i think one will be a draft n stash. It's more likely we combine 2 picks to move up a little.

Why?  Can someone answer that for me?  Why do posters keep saying that we can't draft 4 players?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why?  Can someone answer that for me?  Why do posters keep saying that we can't draft 4 players?

I don't know that we can't, per se.  However, I do know it's not a good idea to have that much of your team on the same cycle financially.  I mean, what if they all pan out?  That basically means you have to re-up them all at the same time.  That's not feasible because it's highly unlikely that we'd be winning at a high level by then.

What if they all pan out as NBA players but not necessarily title-worthy guys?  You wanna Portland-up our cap for middling guys?

What if some pan out but you don't consider them all on the same level?  Well, that means somebody's getting a higher contract and somebody isn't.  What does that do to the lockerroom?

All in all, it's just not good.  And I didn't even touch the fact that having that many rookies usually means developing 'winning' habits is really difficult.

JMEO's

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We technically can, I just don’t think we will. Too much youth at once, too many salaries lining up on the same calendar, too many assets to not “bundle” and try to improve draft position.

• Like 1