• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bidding war for the #3 pick

thecampster

Reports they were taking Doncic might have been a smoke screen. 5 teams calling to try and trade for the pick.  Orlando, Chicago, Dallas, Knicks, Clippers.

We know the basis for the Clips offer. Orlando offering #6 + future 1st. I'm sure Chicago's offer is #7 and #22 (discussed yesterday). Knicks offer will be complicated.  We shall see.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/6/20/17486868/nba-draft-2018-atlanta-hawks-trade-rumors-number-three-pick-luka-doncic-orlando-magic-first-round

I swear this team can't get out of it's own way if this happens.  You literally have the best player in this draft possibly more than likely falling to you to help change the franchise and if this is correct you don't even want him. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, falconfan13 said:

I swear this team can't get out of it's own way if this happens.  You literally have the best player in this draft possibly more than likely falling to you to help change the franchise and if this is correct you don't even want him. 

I’m ok with getting Trae Young.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, falconfan13 said:

Best player at this point is VERY much subjective.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, falconfan13 said:

Man, I can't wait for this draft to start. Just when I was getting ready to see what Luk can do... This rumor smh. I would rather them draft at 3 and trade for the 4th. If we didn't draft anymore after that, I'm good!

• Like 2

I really believe they're just checking all their available options and creating a backup plan in case Luka gets picked by the Kings. I can't bring myself to believe that they would trade out when possibly the best player in the draft miraculously falls to them. 

But if you give away Luka for Trae and it blows up in your face in a year or two, the backlash will be bad. Especially if you trade him to Orlando, a division rival. 

• Like 3

I would keep the #3 and go hard after the #4.   Doncic and JJJ.  Bamba would also work, but I still believe JJJ has more potential.  Frankly, I would be happy with either JJJ or Bamba.   

The Hawks could end up with a set-up man and a quick big with those two picks......and both of them are young and still growing.

So, what, besides Parsons' contract, would it take to acquire the Memphis pick?   

• Moderators

Doing your due diligence is smart.  Getting too cute for your own good is not.

I hope Schlenk does try to get something to give us a Ricky Williams / NJ Nets type of deal but short of that I am not on board with the deals I’m seeing.  7/22 is just laughable for example.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, AHF said:

Doing your due diligence is smart.  Getting too cute for your own good is not.

I hope Schlenk does try to get something to give us a Ricky Williams / NJ Nets type of deal but short of that I am not on board with the deals I’m seeing.  7/22 is just laughable for example.

Would you trade the 3rd pick for an Orlando Magic Penny Hardaway deal where Orlando got 3 future firsts from the Warriors in 93?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, falconfan13 said:

Yea this team tanked to get a very good player in the draft, the top three of Ayton, Bagley and Doncic are supposed to be the cream and we have the 3rd pick.    I believe also you go with the best player left at 3.  Im sure there is just a lot of chatter about trading the 3 pick and if the Hawks were overwhelmed you should take a look, but I doubt any team would give what the 3 pick is worth.   We need a go to player and whichever of Bagley and Doncic is available I would take that player.  

8 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Yea this team tanked to get a very good player in the draft, the top three of Ayton, Bagley and Doncic are supposed to be the cream and we have the 3rd pick.    I believe also you go with the best player left at 3.  Im sure there is just a lot of chatter about trading the 3 pick and if the Hawks were overwhelmed you should take a look, but I doubt any team would give what the 3 pick is worth.   We need a go to player and whichever of Bagley and Doncic is available I would take that player.  

Agree.  But also with the post above:  get ready to be disappointed 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, DrReality said:

Agree.  But also with the post above:  get ready to be disappointed 

Well I dont have a lot of confidence in the GM so nothing surprises me.  

15 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

When’s the last time the top 3 players in a draft went 1,2,3? Just because scouts think those 3 are the top 3 shouldn’t mean much.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Would you trade the 3rd pick for an Orlando Magic Penny Hardaway deal where Orlando got 3 future firsts from the Warriors in 93?

My best guess is that Orlando wins a ring if they don't make that deal.  Webber / Shaq frontcourt could have been amazing.  Penny was good but not at the same level as Webber.  

So if I see someone on the board who I think is a superstar I am only doing a deal like that if I can get the guy I want while still trading down ala Dallas' tradedown leading to Dirk and or Boston's deal leading to Tatum.

If I think 4 guys are comparable value and fit then I'd logically have to trade down with Orlando for example.  Like if Ayton and Doncic are gone and I see Bagley, JJJ, Bamba and Young all as great adds then I take Orlando's unprotected first next year and deal.  

Unfortunately, I think the value for the 3rd pick will only be juiced if Doncic is on the board and then I am very unlikely to do a deal (unless Memphis wants up for JJJ or something).

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

My best guess is that Orlando wins a ring if they don't make that deal.  Webber / Shaq frontcourt could have been amazing.  Penny was good but not at the same level as Webber.  

So if I see someone on the board who I think is a superstar I am only doing a deal like that if I can get the guy I want while still trading down ala Dallas' tradedown leading to Dirk and or Boston's deal leading to Tatum.

If I think 4 guys are comparable value and fit then I'd logically have to trade down with Orlando for example.  Like if Ayton and Doncic are gone and I see Bagley, JJJ, Bamba and Young all as great adds then I take Orlando's unprotected first next year and deal.  

Unfortunately, I think the value for the 3rd pick will only be juiced if Doncic is on the board and then I am very unlikely to do a deal (unless Memphis wants up for JJJ or something).

Agree with most of this except the beginning. I think the Magic has the best chance with Shaq and Penny. Shaq and Webber would have been too congested and nobody could have gotten them the ball at the right spots. Imo

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Agree with most of this except the beginning. I think the Magic has the best chance with Shaq and Penny. Shaq and Webber would have been too congested and nobody could have gotten them the ball at the right spots. Imo

They went out and got HoGrant for serious $$.  In my vision they spend that on a pg instead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

They went out and got HoGrant for serious $$.  In my vision they spend that on a pg instead.

That’s true...wonder what facilitators were there at the time that would have worked. I thought they had the perfect team though, Mike stood in the way.

Penny

nick

3D

Ho

Shaq

Thats as perfect as it gets to me if I’m building.

Hakeem stood in the way too in 95 when Mike was swinging at balls

I really hope this is a smokescreen to a smokescreen.  If you will.  Even the patron saints of sucking tended to keep their tippity top picks, but most went the way of Okafor and not Simmons/Embiid.  The 30th and 34th?  Have at as 4 picks is just too many.  3 would be fine, but still have on roster two players (and maybe 2 more besides) that demand playing time. 

Like has been pointed out here and elsewhere, the whole point of having the worst season in Atlanta Hawks history was exactly to have a top 3 pick and for once we were lucky there.