• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where does Dennis end up?

drzachary

Since it's probably a non-starter to have both Dennis and Young on the roster (at least for very long), what are the realistic options for where Dennis might go?

For that matter ... can anyone explain to me how serious the assault charges are?  I've not seen recent news on it, only stuff from a few months ago.   If it's career-ending stuff, drafting a future PG will end up looking pretty good.

• Moderators

From what I’ve seen it is not career threatening.  Not sure why Travis undercut his draft day message to fans by pretending he is keeping both.  No one believes that around the league.  Given Dennis’ comments, legal troubles, and mixed game, I have zero faith in Schlenk’s ability to get a real return for him.  He couldn’t even get a concession from Bud when we had all the cards.  So where will he go?  To whoever will take him for whatever price they name (is my fear at this point - Dwight trade 2.0).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

From what I’ve seen it is not career threatening.  Not sure why Travis undercut his draft day message to fans by pretending he is keeping both.  No one believes that around the league.  Given Dennis’ comments, legal troubles, and mixed game, I have zero faith in Schlenk’s ability to get a real return for him.  He couldn’t even get a concession from Bud when we had all the cards.  So where will he go?  To whoever will take him for whatever price they name (is my fear at this point - Dwight trade 2.0).

I wasted er spent a 'like' on this.  I have absolutely, positively no confidence in Slink getting anything advantageous for us.

It's why I'm not excited about the PROTECTED 1st we got from DAL.  He's probably going to give that up in the DennisDump.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

There is no urgency to trade Dennis.

Cuts into Young development time because Dennis has zero value when he isn’t handling the ball.  As long as Dennis is here, Trae’s true role is on hold.  Trae’s high usage won’t exactly feature Dennis for boosting his trade value.  It will be more about seeing another team’s pg situation go down in flames and then trying to capitalize on their desperation (assuming they haven’t thrown in the towel and started tanking).

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Cuts into Young development time because Dennis has zero value when he isn’t handling the ball.  As long as Dennis is here, Trae’s true role is on hold.

I disagree.  Dennis will have no effect on Young's development just like Teague had no effect on Dennis' development

• Like 1

Some weeks ago Dennis said he is thinks his legal problems will be solved this summer. So it actually might be not the worst idea to keep Dennis until this happens. Of course they have to start Dennis, if they want to increase the chances to get something for him at the trade deadline. The knowlegde of this beeing the months to increase his value could even help Dennis to focus on his flaws and let him grow as a person...

I just started a similar thread, mods feel free to delete or merge. 

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

There is no urgency to trade Dennis.

I disagree, I think his trade value is already low and his being discontent with the Hawks will only get worse now that we drafted Young. I thought we would have traded him last night, but oh well. I think we need to trade him before the befinning of the season and will probably have to absorb bad contracts to do so. I can see a package around Noah and 2nd rounders, or Biyombo and a 2nd rounder.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Cuts into Young development time because Dennis has zero value when he isn’t handling the ball.  As long as Dennis is here, Trae’s true role is on hold.  Trae’s high usage won’t exactly feature Dennis for boosting his trade value.  It will be more about seeing another team’s pg situation go down in flames and then trying to capitalize on their desperation (assuming they haven’t thrown in the towel and started tanking).

It’s an opportunity for Young to improve his movement off the ball. Dennis ain’t great, but he still gets in the lane with ease. Here’s to hoping now that we added 3 more prolific shooters to the roster, he actually passes the ball. I still think the starting PG position goes to Dennis. Schlenk has said they will try playing them together on the floor.

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Dennis is a top tier backup PG

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Dennis is a top tier backup PG

Which is not the way you want to sell him in a trade.  At all.

6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I disagree.  Dennis will have no effect on Young's development just like Teague had no effect on Dennis' development

Teague kept Dennis out of a starting job for years.  I hope to god we neither plan to do that with our top pick nor plan to play Young off the ball longterm.  

4 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

It’s an opportunity for Young to improve his movement off the ball. Dennis ain’t great, but he still gets in the lane with ease. Here’s to hoping now that we added 3 more prolific shooters to the roster, he actually passes the ball. I still think the starting PG position goes to Dennis. Schlenk has said they will try playing them together on the floor.

Learning to play off the ball is super low on my list of priorities for Young’s development but I agree that will be the best case result of them playing in the floor together.  

Cant wait to see whether we throw our rookie or the suspect defender we are trying to make look good for trades up against an opposing 6’8” shooting guard.

• Like 1

Atlanta Hawks fans think  alike. 

I was just being a super nerd and going through each team  and looking at their PG spots, to see who needs a PG. then I come on the squawk and see fellow squawkers pondering the same.  I havnt seen all teams but up till NYK.

It seems Chicago, Clippers, Knicks,  Magic Need a PG in the worst way. 

? Pacers.  Spurs

11 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Are you really advocating playing Dennis and Trae in the floor at the same time?

I can't think of a worse idea for Trae's development.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

No one is predicting that Young and Dennis will start together I hope...This aint your Bud Hawks

Lol at the Squawk:

Poster 1: Trae can become a better and more confident defender despite lacking defensive tools because of coaching.

Poster 2: Word. Let's have the coach tell Trae to guard Beal.

Poster 3: Also our point guard of the future, who was taken for marketing reasons, can learn how to not play PG at a shade under 6 '2.

If Trae's ceiling is Nash, and you want him to hit, you don't want him playing off ball and guarding 2s. Talk about how to destroy a kid...

19 minutes ago, ATLBob said:

Are you really advocating playing Dennis and Trae in the floor at the same time?

I can't think of a worse idea for Trae's development.

I’m just repeating what our GM proposed. It’s a defensive nightmare, but just getting on the floor as a rookie will help Young. More playing time beats less playing time. 

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

No one is predicting that Young and Dennis will start together I hope...This aint your Bud Hawks

I don’t know about starting, but Schlenk did say the Hawks will try them out together on the floor.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, AHF said:

Teague kept Dennis out of a starting job for years.  I hope to god we neither plan to do that with our top pick nor plan to play Young off the ball longterm.  

Young is 19...There is nothing wrong with him coming off the bench for half a year until the trade deadline next season or even for the entire season until he earns the starting job.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Young is 19...There is nothing wrong with him coming off the bench for half a year until the trade deadline next season or even for the entire season until he earns the starting job.

He is already a better PG than Dennis. Dennis has to go. He could be a locker room cancer a la Dwight.