• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where does Dennis end up?

drzachary

• Moderators
4 hours ago, DeacKillsaDevil said:

What exactly do you expect Schlenk to say? That he wants to dump a Dennis for nothing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He already said that loud and clear on draft day.  No press conference can say it louder than passing on Doncic, Bamba, JJJ, etc. to grab Young.  I don't even know why he is pretending otherwise.  Every team in the league will be looking to get Dennis either for a price (i.e., we pay them to take him) or a song (i.e., they give up nothing of real value).  If Atlanta won't do that type of deal today, they will wait for the milk to sour while Dennis and Young both want the ball in their hands on the floor and Dennis' already declining attitude gets worse as he wants o-u-t.  No press conference claiming something as insane as guarding swingmen with Dennis or Young is an actual plan will persuade a single NBA franchise to see this as anything but a distressed asset.

• Moderators

For guys who want Young coming off the bench, what do you expect to see from Dennis in terms of attitude and effort?  I have little faith that he would play along if we are holding him to increase trade value while the writing is on the wall.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I definitely agree with this.

Just seem to me that there is a group of posters that want to get rid of all the vets asap and start the rookies right now to somehow make them develop faster.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Just seem to me that there is a group of posters that want to get rid of all the vets asap and start the rookies right now to somehow make them develop faster.  Doesn't make any sense to me.

I’m personally sick of watching other teams star rookies play and build buzz for the team while our rookies are kept under wraps so you can count me in for wanting to see Young have a rookie season more like Jason Tatum (80 games played, 80 games started) than Josh Jackson (35 games started).

But for me this is as much about the bad attitude I expect from Dennis if he is forced to return when his replacement is just biding time to push him aside.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I’m personally sick of watching other teams star rookies play and build buzz for the team while our rookies are kept under wraps so you can count me in for wanting to see Young have a rookie season more like Jason Tatum (80 games played, 80 games started) than Josh Jackson (35 games started).

Last year was on Bud...We didn't really have a young vet in front of Collin to keep him on the bench especially when Ilyasova was hurt at the beginning of the season.

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, AHF said:

For guys who want Young coming off the bench, what do you expect to see from Dennis in terms of attitude and effort?  I have little faith that he would play along if we are holding him to increase trade value while the writing is on the wall.

I would be much happier with Young coming off the bench behind a vet point guard like an old Bibby rather than someone I expect to be disgruntled.

• Premium Member

With arrival of Trae Young, can Hawks really keep Dennis Schröder?

The Hawks would trade point guard Dennis Schröder for the right price, but interest in him from other teams has been tepid, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions. There’s a possibility that Schröder will remain with team in 2018-19, which also will be the rookie season for their new point guard, Trae Young. 

This situation would seem to be a potential problem for the Hawks even if Schröder hadn’t apparently expressed a desire for a trade last month. Now the Hawks have added a top prospect who plays his position, also needs the ball to be effective and certainly will play heavy minutes next season. 

That’s why, soon after the Hawks acquired Young via the No. 5 pick in the draft Thursday night, Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk was asked how his new rookie point guard can coexist with the incumbent. 

“I think both guys can play together, especially the way the league is played,” Schlenk said. “You will see two point guards on the floor a lot. I don’t’ think that’s an issue.” 

That comment raised hackles from Hawks fans, and I get it. But look at it from Schlenk’s perspective. 

If the Hawks can’t trade Schröder, it means he will have to coexist with Young next season. That would be harder to do if Schlenk publicly expresses a desire to trade Schröder, who was upset when his name surfaced in rumors at the deadline. Schröder probably believes he’s going to be traded, but if he stays put, it would be foolhardy for Schlenk to exacerbate any hurt feelings by making it know Schröder is expendable. 

From what I hear, Schröder has not pushed the issue of wanting to be traded directly with the Hawks. After drafting Young, the Hawks reached out to reassure him that he’s still part of their plans. 

And I still don’t think the Hawks believe Schröder is that expendable. Schröder regressed last season because of poor defense and 3-point shooting, and his playmaking was up-and-down. But he’s still an elite rim attacker, and he doesn’t turn 25 years old until September. 

Those are reasons why I tend to believe Schlenk when he said the Hawks are willing to roll with Schröder and Young. There are teams who use two point guards, though usually one of the two is bigger than Schröder and Young. Defense would be a huge issue for lineups with Schröder and Young, but let’s be real, winning games won’t be the focus for the Hawks in 2018-19. 

There is no circumstance in which I can see Young starting over Schröder. A more plausible scenario has Schröder starting alongside shooting guard Kent Bazemore, with Young coming off the bench to play alongside Schröder for a few minutes before taking over the point. 

In my view that’s not an ideal situation. It probably would be better for the Hawks to move on from Schröder. 

But I doubt Schlenk is inclined to give Schröder away in a wildly uneven deal. He made a lopsided trade to send Dwight Howard to Charlotte last year because he was eager to get rid of him, but I don’t think there is the same desperation for trading Schröder. 

But the lukewarm trade market for Schröder indicates that other teams don’t value Schröder the same as the Hawks. He’s owed $46.5 million over the next three seasons, which isn’t an awful contract for a starting point guard, but it’s still significant. Schröder’s lackluster season hurt his value, and so does the pending battery charge for his alleged role in a DeKalb County assault. 

For those reasons, Schröder could remain with the Hawks next season even as Young, his heir apparent, arrives with buzz and high expectations. Schlenk said that won’t be a problem. That may be wishful thinking, but under the circumstances, hoping that it works out may be the only good choice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I think he would play along and try to make himself as attractive a player as possible.   Dennis playing well could land him on a playoff contender that needs guard help.   As of right now, I would say that Dennis is a better NBA player than Trae is right now.  Trae will have to learn the pace of the NBA and how to play effectively in this league.  That may take a few months.  In the meantime, Dennis will probably start and still play 30 minutes a game, while Trae gets his minutes off the bench to be the spark plug for the 2nd unit.

Dennis may play selfishly at times on the court, but I don't view him as a bad teammate.   And he's not going to sulk or back down just because the so-called future PG of the team is here.  

Remember, Schlenk was in Golden State when these 2 were playing alongside each other.

I am cautiously optimistic that Dennis and his advisors might be realizing that to salvage his repuation (and future contracts) in the NBA he might need a bit of a reboot.  How many 24 year old PG's with a legitimate amount of playoff experience and who has seen quite the investment by the prior admin seemingly become untradable short of career threatening injury?

While it seems quite likely and even probable that we could trade Dennis for Deng or pick your fave albatross contract, but holy crap would this be absurd.  I am not entirely sure what happened in respect to Dennis saying what he did to the German media.  That is was this narrative driven by his agents or was this simply a 24 year old that was despondent that his HC was gone and that the team that had only known relative success became the worst team in the East?

vor 11 Stunden, Dragitoff sagte:

I agree, but he most likely is going to be that anyway unless he goes to PHX, ORL, or possibly NY.  Not a lot of teams needing PG's right now.  

I think he's going to be dealt in a YUK deal like Dennis for Biyombo and a 2nd or something like that.  Shorter deal and slightly less $.  

This is the only possible trade i can think of rn. Hawks make space for Young, Magic make space for Bamba. Could be good for both teams. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I and many thought he could be a borderline all-star. If not a 3rd choice and making the team outright; then a alternate one year when a player took the weekend off. Most of our hopes were based on his scoring and assist potential. We all knew he needed to improve his turn overs and efficiency but most of us were confident Dennis and with Buds guidance he would get that done.

Dennis has the tools to shoot threes, he has the tools to get in the paint at will, he has the tools to draw fouls. But having talent and getting the most out of it do not go hand in hand for most basketball players. To me this is the case with Dennis. Maybe he just does not want to put the work in to be great.

I think Dennis attitude was evident pretty early.  I don't think he has decided to play team ball.  Like most though he wants to win.  

The ideal situation is to start Young and Dennis every game, and just let them get abused on D.  Get Dennis's scoring numbers way up and finish 0-82 for that sweet, sweet #1 pick.

The team needs a sit down with Dennis. No more antics, no more JR Smith style "WTF" moments on the court, better effort on defense, and fewer bad shots. Trae is more a passer, shooter. Dennis is a rim attacker, and he's actually pretty good at that. So I think it can work. Teague and Dennis worked. Lloyd is going to have to let Dennis know that his non-existent defense is no longer going to fly though.

• Like 1

Orlando needs to “get eeeeeeeeeeem.”

”Orlando, is that you???”

”Damn baby, whatchoo do to yo hair?”

”You like it? It’s Autumn Sunrise (in a single spot on front/top)”