• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pierce is not the long term coach for this franchise

Plainview1981

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

I don't think the newly signed coach is the long term coach. He is a defensive minded guy, but the GM is building an offensive team. Why? Well, you draft a bunch of guys that are offensive players and you hope the defensive minded coach can improve the players defense and then you end up signing a coach that fits the players identity more in the long run.

You know, I raised this question from the start, whether it seemed more likely that the new guy is a bridge to someone else or if he is, indeed, "Schlenk's guy," in the same vein as Bud was Ferry's. (And if not him, who possibly could be that guy somewhere out there in the universe, NBA or otherwise... no one is an obvious suspect.)

It is, of course, unanswerable, but that's what we do around here, talk about what we think is happening and what we think is going to happen, often informed by our perception of what happened in the past, here or elsewhere.

But I quote this part of the OP b/c I actually think this could be a good argument for Pierce being longer term.

Assume that this team becomes regarded as a solid defensive roster in a couple of years. Project what will be the prevailing sentiment about Pierce as a result.

I can imagine that, because more of the high picks came to the league with less of a defensive pedigree, Pierce is going to get credit for developing them as a unit into that. And to the degree that their identify as a team is tied to their coach... forgive the double negative here... it will be less likely that he won't get the chance to take the team into the playoff promised land.

Being balanced, on the other hand, history just stands in the way of him lasting more than 2-3 seasons. We all realize that, I think.

3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

This Thread is a bit premature.  No one knows what kind of coach Pierce will be.  Seems like again the typical Atlanta Fan with zero patience who wants to conjure up some made up narrative instead of waiting to see what will actually happen.

Using your logic, Dan Quinn should start looking for his next gig soon since this will be his 4th season!  LOL!

If you ask me they should of promoted Kyle Shanahan to head coach in order to retain him. Best offensive mind in the game. Look at our offense after he left, went from 1st to 15th.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Is Spellman Small?  Isn't he 250 plus?  Is Jordan a small ball center?  What about Thompson?

Spellman is only 6 - 9 though.   His role will probably be similar to Marresse Speights.  A guy who can come off the bench and knock down a coupe of 3s, while playing the 5 spot.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Spellman is only 6 - 9 though.   His role will probably be similar to Marresse Speights.  A guy who can come off the bench and knock down a coupe of 3s, while playing the 5 spot.

Doesn't he have a 7'2" wing span?  His standing reach is longer than Horford's

• Premium Member

Spellman plays defense though. The Hawks are getting an excellent spot-up shooter who can score from three levels. Spellman is also well-equipped defensively for the modern game. He is able to defend multiple positions and play both the 4 and 5.

Defensive outlook

Spellman slides his feet well for a man his size. He also does a good job using his length against perimeter players, giving enough space that he can recover if a guard tries to drive past him.

The ability to defend multiple positions and switch onto a guard in the pick-and-roll will serve him well and get him on the court immediately. Spellman's girth and strong lower body help him hold his ground against bigger players. He needs to work on his body and add quickness, which is something he improved greatly at Villanova.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Doesn't he have a 7'2" wing span?

Yes, oh yes he does.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

This team is starting to look like the 60 win team but with a more skilled back court instead of a more skilled front court.

Jeff Teague --- Young
Kyle Korver --- Huerter
DeMarre Carroll --- Taurean Prince
Paul Millsap --- John Collins 
Al Horford --- ?????

Young and Hueter appear to have better skill sets than Teague and Korver while the front court is not quite as versatile as the 60 win team. Prince is basically a clone of Carroll.

I don't think the newly signed coach is the long term coach. He is a defensive minded guy, but the GM is building an offensive team. Why? Well, you draft a bunch of guys that are offensive players and you hope the defensive minded coach can improve the players defense and then you end up signing a coach that fits the players identity more in the long run.

We've all seen this before... Whomever is coaching at the start of the rebuilding stage is usually not coaching the team when they hit their peak.

I don't think LP is intended to be the coach 3 or 4 years from now.

I don't think that Schlenk has some long term vision of who will be the coach in 4 years.  

I do think LP can play his way into a 2nd contract, but he'll have to get this team to the playoffs in that span to get it.  If he doesn't, it'll be easier for management to pull the trigger and replace him.   If we become a playoff level team soon, he'll of course then be judged on how the team performs in the playoffs.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think he can do more than just shoot 3s off the bench.

Omari Spellman NBA Draft 2018: Scouting Report for Atlanta Hawks' Pick
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2780627-omari-spellman-nba-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-atlanta-hawks-pick.amp.html

• Like 1

Our so-called head coach has not won a single game as leader of the Hawks. Pierce needs to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Spellman plays defense though. The Hawks are getting an excellent spot-up shooter who can score from three levels. Spellman is also well-equipped defensively for the modern game. He is able to defend multiple positions and play both the 4 and 5.

Yes, oh yes he does.

This means that he can be a small ball center.  And this is also the reason why people were comparing him "somewhat" to Draymond Green.

The Hawks may trot out a lineup like this at some point during the season, to strengthen the 2nd unit

• PG - Young
  • G - Dorsey
  • F - Huerter
  • PF - Prince
  • C - Spellman

This would enable the team to play a Golden State style "5 Out" offense, with 3 point shooting threats at every position.

• Premium Member

This means that he can be a small ball center.  And this is also the reason why people were comparing him "somewhat" to Draymond Green.

The Hawks may trot out a lineup like this at some point during the season, to strengthen the 2nd unit

• PG - Young
  • G - Dorsey
  • F - Huerter
  • PF - Prince
  • C - Spellman

This would enable the team to play a Golden State style "5 Out" offense, with 3 point shooting threats at every position.

I'm good with that.

It will be a season of experimentation and learning.

• Premium Member

• PG - Young
  • G - Dorsey
  • F - Huerter
  • PF - Prince
  • C - Spellman

Dramond Green is Small as a center, Spellman is not

4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

This Thread is a bit premature.  No one knows what kind of coach Pierce will be.  Seems like again the typical Atlanta Fan with zero patience who wants to conjure up some made up narrative instead of waiting to see what will actually happen.

Using your logic, Dan Quinn should start looking for his next gig soon since this will be his 4th season!  LOL!

1.I'm not being impatience... I see a GM that signed a coach that appears to be about defense, but instead is handing him a bunch of young offensive minded talent.  Do you think that is how GM's usually start building teams? To give the newly signed coach a bunch of mainly offensive minded players? Because that's what he has been given so far.

2.Exceptions don't make the rule. Moreover, Dan Quinn is not an NBA coach.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Come on P.  How many 6 - 9 centers do we have in this league?   Spellman is the same size as Julius Randle.  

He's also bigger than Triston Thompson, just saying. 

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Come on P.  How many 6 - 9 centers do we have in this league?   Spellman is the same size as Julius Randle.  

Actual height is 6'91/4" 

Tristian Thompson 6'83/4"  Shorter

Capela is 6'10"    3/4 inch taller ...

Horford is 6'93/4    1/2 inch taller

Anthony Davis 6'101/2   1 1/4 inch taller

So are they small ball centers too?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

1.I'm not being impatience... I see a GM that signed a coach that appears to be about defense, but instead is handing him a bunch of young offensive minded talent.  Do you think that is how GM's usually start building teams? To give the newly signed coach a bunch of mainly offensive minded players? Because that's what he has been given so far.

2.Exceptions don't make the rule. Moreover, Dan Quinn is not an NBA coach.

2 of the 3 this year have defensive potential... Plus effective defense in the NBA isn't all on the individual.  Defense is more scheme than individual

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

2 of the 3 this year have defensive potential... Plus effective defense in the NBA isn't all on the individual.  Defense is more scheme than individual

You're lucky if late first rounders turn out to be worthwhile at all.

You still need some guys that play some defense. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

You're lucky if late first rounders turn out to be worthwhile at all.

You still need some guys that play some defense. 

Prince, Baze, Collins, Bembry, Spellman and Dedmon have the tools to be good defenders.  So do Dennis and Heurter to be honest.

24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Prince, Baze, Collins, Bembry, Spellman and Dedmon have the tools to be good defenders.  So do Dennis and Heurter to be honest.

Bembry is a fringe NBA player. The Hawks tried to trade Baze already.... Dedmon appears to be here for the short term. The chances of Dennis being here long term with Young here are slim. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Plainview1981 said:

Bembry is a fringe NBA player. The Hawks tried to trade Baze already.... Dedmon appears to be here for the short term. The chances of Dennis being here long term with Young here are slim. 

Lebron might be short term in Cleveland but it still doesn't change the fact that Baze and Dedmon are currently on the roster