• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pierce is not the long term coach for this franchise

Plainview1981

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Lebron might be short term in Cleveland but it still doesn't change the fact that Baze and Dedmon are currently on the roster

Travis didn't acquire Baze at all and has tried to get rid of him.

Point still stands. Schlenk is mostly providing a defensive minded coach with offensive players. Perhaps Collins is an exception, but even he is more of an offensive player than a defensive one at this point. It's easy and quite clear see what type of team Travis intends to build. And it likely isn't the type of team that the coach prefers to coach.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Point still stands. Schlenk is mostly providing a defensive minded coach with offensive players. Perhaps Collins is an exception, but even he is more of an offensive player than a defensive one at this point. It's easy and quite clear see what type of team Travis intends to build. And it likely isn't the type of team that the coach prefers to coach.

We will just have to disagree on Spellman and even Huerter.

14 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Maybe Schlenk is showing faith in his coach to have a good defensive scheme and not have to worry about the offensive side of the ball so much because he has players that can score?

Also, no one knows how good anyone will be on defense in the NBA until they start playing.  Klay Thompson was known as a terrible defender coming out of college and he's pretty decent.  The number 1 thing with defense is effort.  Did you not see how terrible Cleveland was during the regular season during defense and the minute the playoffs started they turned on their defensive effort and made it to the finals.

Just now, marco102 said:

Maybe Schlenk is showing faith in his coach to have a good defensive scheme and not have to worry about the offensive side of the ball so much because he has players that can score?

Also, no one knows how good anyone will be on defense in the NBA until they start playing.  Klay Thompson was known as a terrible defender coming out of college and he's pretty decent.  The number 1 thing with defense is effort.  Did you not see how terrible Cleveland was during the regular season during defense and the minute the playoffs started they turned on their defensive effort and made it to the finals.

It's not shocking that a team that makes the finals every year is complacent. 

There is a reason that basically no coach with a decent resume would have been interested in coaching here.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Actual height is 6'91/4" 

Tristian Thompson 6'83/4"  Shorter

Capela is 6'10"    3/4 inch taller ...

Horford is 6'93/4    1/2 inch taller

Anthony Davis 6'101/2   1 1/4 inch taller

So are they small ball centers too?

Yes.

Especially when the majority of the centers are 6 - 11 and taller.

Old timers around here will remember me hoping the Hawks would find and sign a "Tractor Trailer" type of center.  Any one remember him?  I ask because, from what I can read about Spellman, he somewhat fits this description.  Big enough that other players will not push him around.  He can rebound.  He may even hit an occasional shot.

We have watched as, sometimes, the Hawks get pushed around and run over.  Teams with all offense and no defense sometimes has this happen to them.

Can Spellman be our temporary stopper?  I like our center and hope he stays.  He can be Dedmon's backup.

Just now, Plainview1981 said:

It's not shocking that a team that makes the finals every year is complacent. 

There is a reason that basically no coach with a decent resume would have been interested in coaching here.

I thought we were discussing why Schlenk selected offensive players with a defensive coach and how that implied Pierece would be fired.  

Do you see the point I made? If he isn't a offensive coach, get him offensive players and have him teach them defense so he doesn't have to worry too much about the offensive side of the ball.  Although, I'm pretty sure his assistant coahces will take care of that anyway. 

Just now, marco102 said:

I thought we were discussing why Schlenk selected offensive players with a defensive coach and how that implied Pierece would be fired.  

Do you see the point I made? If he isn't a offensive coach, get him offensive players and have him teach them defense so he doesn't have to worry too much about the offensive side of the ball.  Although, I'm pretty sure his assistant coahces will take care of that anyway. 

Yeah, you don't need an offensive system or any real focus on offense because the players will just go out there and do their thing and score.

4 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

We just got to give him some time, beside Mark Jackson was a defensive type coach before Steve Kerr took over at Golden State.  Maybe this could be the same way.

In the same way I felt that Mark was only out of GS when they realized he couldn’t get them over the jump. I don’t think we would move on from Pierce until we have a team that he isn’t gettin the most out of with his coaching.

2 hours ago, Flight said:

In the same way I felt that Mark was only out of GS when they realized he couldn’t get them over the jump. I don’t think we would move on from Pierce until we have a team that he isn’t gettin the most out of with his coaching.

There was a little more behind the reasoning why Mark Jackson was railroaded out of Golden State.  

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

There was a little more behind the reasoning why Mark Jackson was railroaded out of Golden State.  

I’m sure there was more to it. Just saying “getting over the hump” as a more brief way of putting it.