• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pierce is not the long term coach for this franchise

Plainview1981

This team is starting to look like the 60 win team but with a more skilled back court instead of a more skilled front court.

Jeff Teague --- Young
Kyle Korver --- Huerter
DeMarre Carroll --- Taurean Prince
Paul Millsap --- John Collins 
Al Horford --- ?????

Young and Hueter appear to have better skill sets than Teague and Korver while the front court is not quite as versatile as the 60 win team. Prince is basically a clone of Carroll.

I don't think the newly signed coach is the long term coach. He is a defensive minded guy, but the GM is building an offensive team. Why? Well, you draft a bunch of guys that are offensive players and you hope the defensive minded coach can improve the players defense and then you end up signing a coach that fits the players identity more in the long run.

We've all seen this before... Whomever is coaching at the start of the rebuilding stage is usually not coaching the team when they hit their peak.

I don't think LP is intended to be the coach 3 or 4 years from now.

• Like 1

Just now, bleachkit said:

Pierce is a defensive guy all the way. I wasn't crazy about the hire, but as long as has a good staff to help him on offense, I'm okay with it.

Yeah, I don't think you sign a coach that is all defense and hand him all offense and expect him to be the long term coach.

• Premium Member

This Thread is a bit premature.  No one knows what kind of coach Pierce will be.  Seems like again the typical Atlanta Fan with zero patience who wants to conjure up some made up narrative instead of waiting to see what will actually happen.

Using your logic, Dan Quinn should start looking for his next gig soon since this will be his 4th season!  LOL!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

This team is starting to look like the 60 win team but with a more skilled back court instead of a more skilled front court.

Jeff Teague --- Young
Kyle Korver --- Huerter
DeMarre Carroll --- Taurean Prince
Paul Millsap --- John Collins 
Al Horford --- ?????

Young and Hueter appear to have better skill sets than Teague and Korver while the front court is not quite as versatile as the 60 win team. Prince is basically a clone of Carroll.

I don't think the newly signed coach is the long term coach. He is a defensive minded guy, but the GM is building an offensive team. Why? Well, you draft a bunch of guys that are offensive players and you hope the defensive minded coach can improve the players defense and then you end up signing a coach that fits the players identity more in the long run.

We've all seen this before... Whomever is coaching at the start of the rebuilding stage is usually not coaching the team when they hit their peak.

I don't think LP is intended to be the coach 3 or 4 years from now.

Very logical and I can definitely see your point. I just hope they don't just use him  and toss him away. Let him go out with some dignity so that he can have an opportunity down the road, unless he just BLOWS!!

But I can get with your thinking. Maybe he surrounds himself with offensive assistants to run/manage the offense until he can learn and master the system. We may not employ a scheme too complicated. Just have some plays handy and run sets tailored to your offense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JCDBaptist said:

But I can get with your thinking. Maybe he surrounds himself with offensive assistants to run/manage the offense until he can learn and master the system. We may not employ a scheme too complicated. Just have some plays handy and run sets tailored to your offense.

He already has done this

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He already has done this

He has won half the battle already then. Always need a good team of coaches and staff to work with.

I think Ressler wants to build a contender. I think he is really vested, especially with the potential development of the Gulch. Hopefully he spends for the top shooting coaches and staff. I'm not sure.

What do you think of the staff, are they pretty solid and credible?

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JCDBaptist said:

He has won half the battle already then. Always need a good team of coaches and staff to work with.

I think Ressler wants to build a contender. I think he is really vested, especially with the potential development of the Gulch. Hopefully he spends for the top shooting coaches and staff. I'm not sure.

What do you think of the staff, are they pretty solid and credible?

Personally, I don't think NBA offenses are that complex.  Everyone wanted to crown Bud as some offensive wizard but his offense didn't look much different than half the teams in the league.  They all do the same things depending on their personnel

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Personally, I don't think NBA offenses are that complex.  Everyone wanted to crown Bud as some offensive wizard but his offense didn't look much different than half the teams in the league.  They all do the same things depending on their personnel

I maybe missing something here but I think you have a certain scheme to fit your players and roster skillsets...pnr, pnp, run and gun, motion, triangle, high low, etc. and then you have your on rhe court plays for out of bounds at mid court and full court, press plays, and quick shot plays. A

As you said, how complex is that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JCDBaptist said:

But we can get that with Noerlens Noel. Why waste that pick?

That's not going to happen.  Travis Schlenk will never sign Noel.  First, there is a small chance that if Noel actually gets his head out of his rear end and plays the way he is capable of playing, then he messes up the Hawks tank.  Second, he's an offensive zero, and Travis has already shown that he values offensive ability over defensive ability.  In Travis's view, John Collins is the center going forward, and the Hawks will ultimately be a full time small ball team.  Do not be surprised when Taurean Prince is playing a lot more four this year for the Hawks.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That's not going to happen.  Travis Schlenk will never sign Noel.  First, there is a small chance that if Noel actually gets his head out of his rear end and plays the way he is capable of playing, then he messes up the Hawks tank.  Second, he's an offensive zero, and Travis has already shown that he values offensive ability over defensive ability.  In Travis's view, John Collins is the center going forward, and the Hawks will ultimately be a full time small ball team.  Do not be surprised when Taurean Prince is playing a lot more four this year for the Hawks.

More wild conspiracies...It amazing here!  So why did he sign Dedmon?  Why did he draft Spellman?

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

More wild conspiracies...It amazing here!  So why did he sign Dedmon?  Why did he draft Spellman?

He signed Dedmon to trade him for an "asset".  He drafted Spellman to give the team some depth as a small ball center.

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He signed Dedmon to trade him for an "asset".  He drafted Spellman to give the team some depth as a small ball center.

Is Spellman Small?  Isn't he 250 plus?  Is Jordan a small ball center?  What about Thompson or Horford?