• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting Justin Anderson split stat

thecampster

Too small a sample to really make a determination but per 82games.com, Justin Anderson was a dominant player defensively at the 2.

He played 519 minutes last year.  8% at the 2, So about 45 minutes at the 2.  During that time he posted a 14.5 PER and the opposing SG  posted an embarrassing 6.4 PER.

He played about 80% of his time at the 3. So about 400 minutes.  He posted a 16.7 PER and his opposing 3 posted a 15.5 PER.'

He played the rest at the 4 where he was destroyed 8.3 to 27.9.  His defensive numbers at the 2 and 3 were better than Baze, though Baze posted better offensive stats.

Still, he was a net positive PER player at the 2 and 3 where as Baze was a net negative PER by position.  Most of that was against backups but I would really like a similar stat sample. I really like his potential.

• Like 3

Nice.  That suggests he has great foot speed and off ball awareness for a guy at 228.  Probably squares his chest up very well to cut off drives too.  I miss the exquisite defensive stylings of Thabo.  Anything similar is welcome.

• Like 4

@nathan2331

I agree, Justin may be the next version of Bazemore.  Its great to have those high energy, defensive guys come off the bench.

@thecampster

Great find on the splits.  Sort of shows why Schlenk is interested in moving Baze for a PF.  Justin can take Baze's role and whomever the trade returns, gives some depth at PF where the team is thin. The problem with the Rockets rumor is Ryan is not a great pickup...

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, thecampster said:

Too small a sample to really make a determination but per 82games.com, Justin Anderson was a dominant player defensively at the 2.

He played 519 minutes last year.  8% at the 2, So about 45 minutes at the 2.  During that time he posted a 14.5 PER and the opposing SG  posted an embarrassing 6.4 PER.

He played about 80% of his time at the 3. So about 400 minutes.  He posted a 16.7 PER and his opposing 3 posted a 15.5 PER.'

He played the rest at the 4 where he was destroyed 8.3 to 27.9.  His defensive numbers at the 2 and 3 were better than Baze, though Baze posted better offensive stats.

Still, he was a net positive PER player at the 2 and 3 where as Baze was a net negative PER by position.  Most of that was against backups but I would really like a similar stat sample. I really like his potential.

Interesting numbers.  I take a lot more from the overall numbers and SF numbers, though, based on SSS.  Given how few minutes he played at SG, there is a good possibility he was playing garbage time against scrubs in those minutes in which case even a larger sample size wouldn't be meaningful.  Don't know - just that I expect playing against good competition in larger numbers wouldn't result in such an extreme split at SG.  I'd love to be wrong and see him continue it, though!

• Like 1

There is a great article, here, under NBA Draft Talk heading, covering Justin Anderson when he was entering the draft in 2015.

Apparently, we can't move it to here so I urge you to go there and read it.  Makes one think that we did all right, just a dab late, when we got him !!

Check it out - - - PLEASE

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

There is a great article, here, under NBA Draft Talk heading, covering Justin Anderson when he was entering the draft in 2015.

Apparently, we can't move it to here so I urge you to go there and read it.  Makes one think that we did all right, just a dab late, when we got him !!

Check it out - - - PLEASE

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/407405-tales-from-coachx-justin-anderson/#comment-949392

Who did we picknat #15 that year? Oh yeah, Kelly Oubre but then we traded him for THJr who is no longer here.

He turned out better than RJ Hunter who hasn't stuck in the NBA.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

https://hawksquawk.net/community/topic/407405-tales-from-coachx-justin-anderson/#comment-949392

Who did we picknat #15 that year? Oh yeah, Kelly Oubre but then we traded him for THJr who is no longer here.

He turned out better than RJ Hunter who hasn't stuck in the NBA.

Link..

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of several "sleepers" on our roster.  Pretty good player who probably just needs the right team.  Two of our three draft picks we hear almost nothing about and our new, young center, Alex Len.

We hear a lot about Trae Young, great or bust and Jeremy Lin, healthy enough to play or not.  Another player that most Hawk fans are excited to have on our roster and everyone else seems to forget is Vince Carter.

With our new head coach and all our new players, we await, with a nervous twitch or two.  We know that we're no good.  But, do we?  What if - - - There is always that part no one really knows about - - -Including Anderson!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Moderators
13 hours ago, thecampster said:

I can't remember a year when a team added more players that I have coveted.  Here's to hoping Anderson sticks on the Hawks and Hawks fans give him a chance. 

Anderson might cause the end of Bembry's Hawks career.   Does it seem like Anderson could be a decent shooter?  I haven't seen much of him. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Anderson might cause the end of Bembry's Hawks career.   Does it seem like Anderson could be a decent shooter?  I haven't seen much of him. 

He is a pretty terrible shooter.  Hopefully, he has done some serious work there over the summer.  Here are his career %s:

3-10 feet from the basket:  29.8%

>10-16 feet from the basket:  34.1%

>16-23 feet from the basket:  25.5% 

3pt range: 30%

4 hours ago, AHF said:

He is a pretty terrible shooter.  Hopefully, he has done some serious work there over the summer.  Here are his career %s:

3-10 feet from the basket:  29.8%

>10-16 feet from the basket:  34.1%

>16-23 feet from the basket:  25.5% 

3pt range: 30%

hustle player who really really really about 100 hours of gym time with Kyle Korver.  Like most "muscular" players, his shot is very stiff.

• Like 1