• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luka will start PF ....here’s why it’s hawks related

JTB

12 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

That's alllllright with me.  As a parting gift, Dolf gave me a Money in the Bank case and guess when I'm cashing that sucker in :cool:

I9_Z8O.gif

kg cannot be bought.  On a totally unrelated note, can you meet me in my office ....... bring the briefcase, please.

:cool:

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 10:14 AM, bleachkit said:

To be fair, so is Trae. Trae has no ups.

Eh to a different degree. Trae is much more closer to being avg in comparison to other guards in the league. Luka could possibly be one of the worst (or Top 5)  under-30 athletes at the SF spot this year. We have yet to see him against NBA comp so it’s hard to know for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

How can you say that?  All this is specious conjecture. I have not seen one scouting report to say he is a subpar athlete. 

Actually numerous reports questioned his athletic ability. He is a great shooter and passer, but his quickness and leaping ability are average at best. 

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Actually numerous reports questioned his athletic ability. He is a great shooter and passer, but his quickness and leaping ability are average at best. 

I haven't found them.  I saw his size and strength questioned.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Well @HawkItus I"m with you about not worrying about Trae's ability to physically (or otherwise) compete at this level.   But there have been a lot of negative reports on his athleticism.   Here is one:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2018-scouting-report-trae-young-has-every-skill-but-will-he-get-pushed-around/

I think what they overlook is how crafty he is.  He isn't relying on speed, strength, or leaping ability to take over games.   

13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Well @HawkItus I"m with you about not worrying about Trae's ability to physically (or otherwise) compete at this level.   But there have been a lot of negative reports on his athleticism.   Here is one:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-draft-2018-scouting-report-trae-young-has-every-skill-but-will-he-get-pushed-around/

I think what they overlook is how crafty he is.  He isn't relying on speed, strength, or leaping ability to take over games.   

Thanks.  I would love to see his Draft numbers and how they matched up to previous PG's mentioned.

27 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Thanks.  I would love to see his Draft numbers and how they matched up to previous PG's mentioned.

Unfortunately, a lot of information isn't released. It seems like they only release heights and arm length, but selectively release other info. But basketball is weird, Kevin Durant had horrendous athletic measurables as far as speed and strength. So go figure.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

No that is an opinion.

Wait a minute.  Does anyone here really believe that Young is equal to the athlete that Rajon Rondo was coming out of college?  From a pure speed, quickness and leaping perspective as described above?  Surely we aren't that blind.

PG's don't need to be all-world athletes to be effective (see Mark Jackson, Mark Price, Steve Nash, etc.) so this isn't a criticism of him but really?

1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

Here is a really shallow search:

NBADraft.net profile:

Strengths:  ...he is not the most explosive athlete...

Weaknesses:  He lacks the length and vertical explosiveness to finish through NBA length and athleticism and does not project as an efficient scorer at the basket in the NBA

Opposing guards are easily able to get into the lane against him and he is often caught ball-watching when his man does not have the ball ... Due to his lack of ideal size and athleticism, he will be a guy for opposing offenses to attack ... He is not explosive enough to stay in front of quick guards, and he is also not big enough to stop anyone else on the court

ESPN profile:

Underwhelming physical profile for a starting NBA point guard.

Lack of elite physical tools 

Struggles to finish in traffic against length and athleticism

Draft Express

Physical Comparables:  Seth Young & Shabazz Napier (neither noted for athleticism)

A below the rim guy

It is not just his lack of effort [on D] that is concerning, it is his lack of tools.

He is not a physical or explosive finisher.

NBC Draft Scouting Report

Strengths:  Young is not the quickest or most explosive guard you’ll find

Weaknesses:  He’s not all that strong, he’s not all that physical and he’s not all that tough, and that’s before you question if he has the quickness to guard elite NBA point guards.

That doesn’t diminish the concerns with his physical tools, but defending is about want-to, and it will be on the teams that are drafting to figure out whether or not he actually wants to defend.

CBS Scouting Report

Weaknesses

• Below average strength and athleticism 

Young's lack of both athleticism, strength and lateral quickness [was exposed]

His lack of athleticism and burst could turn him into an easy target on defense early in his career.

NBA Draft Room

Lacks ideal strength/size/speed by NBA standards and will be over-matched physically against many of today's NBA PGs. 

Young doesn't have ideal size or athleticism

Sports Illustrated quoting NBA Scouts

I was never high on him to begin with because of his physical limitations, lack of athleticism and how he doesn't defend.

he doesn’t have the same physical tools that Steph has

He’s not a very good athlete

Note I have omitted all the positives about his craftiness, skill and mind for the game since that is all irrelevant to this.  Every scouting service had real positives about his craftiness and ability to use deception to overcome more athletic opponents.  Some of the same ones with the criticisms of his athletic tools above predicted his skills were such that if things went the right way for him that he could become a superstar.  But all of these marked his athleticism as a negative.

• Like 2