• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Offense--Am I tripping?

Wurider05

I rewatched the preseason games and the 2 regular season games yesterday and it appears to me that we are not running any type of recognizable offense. It appears that we are playing street ball out there on offense.  has anyone else noticed that or is it me? Pierce only seems to speak about defense. I noticed this in the summer league but I chalked it up to  being summer league. We may not have any structured offense on this team.

This may be true.  Whatever it is, it seems to be working.  Hawks are scoring enough to win.

Defense is our problem.  Whatever we are doing, it isn't working.  Hawks are losing, big time.  They can't stop some player who suddenly becomes Superman when he sees Atlanta.  Hawks have played two games and it has happened both times.

Lloyd Pierce is said to be a defensive coach.  All right, coach, make the Hawks a defensive minded team.  Teach them.  They desperately need this!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

ps -And hit your free throws!  Please.....

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

This may be true.  Whatever it is, it seems to be working.  Hawks are scoring enough to win.

Defense is our problem.  Whatever we are doing, it isn't working.  Hawks are losing, big time.  They can't stop some player who suddenly becomes Superman when he sees Atlanta.  Hawks have played two games and it has happened both times.

Lloyd Pierce is said to be a defensive coach.  All right, coach, make the Hawks a defensive minded team.  Teach them.  They desperately need this!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

ps -And hit your free throws!  Please.....

I think the biggest problem with our defense is with the bigs during pick and roll situations.  Instead of trapping ball out of the ball handler's hands once he comes around the screen, they are falling back to cover the roll guy leaving the shooter open and the shooters are hitting those shots now.  Maybe Len and Plumlee are incapable of trapping but we are getting killed by the shooter once the screen free him up for a jump shot.

I’m surprised we didn’t start a thread or at least go into some depth about the new coaching staff.  If we did I didn’t see it.  Long story short just seems like a bunch of lackeys holding a clipboard save for the dividends we know Jent paid last season.  Melvin Hunt lead assistant?!  We all know this team would have looked considerably more respectable under Ham in first two games, let alone the other guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wurider05 said:

I rewatched the preseason games and the 2 regular season games yesterday and it appears to me that we are not running any type of recognizable offense. It appears that we are playing street ball out there on offense.  has anyone else noticed that or is it me? Pierce only seems to speak about defense. I noticed this in the summer league but I chalked it up to  being summer league. We may not have any structured offense on this team.

I mean, there appears to be some semblance of an offense only due to the fact that it looks like guys are hitting certain spots on the perimeter. But yeah...I'm curious to see what we look like when we need a play drawn up on the spot. So far, we haven't been competitive so I'm not sure if that has even come up.

1 hour ago, Wurider05 said:

It's very clearly no longer Bud's beautiful offense.

There is sort of a organized chaos to it all. We are trying to push the pace and put up shots early in the clock. When we run sets it’s usually the same action at the top of the key where the 3 guys on the wing swing it from one side to the other and set high picks. We did this under Bud. Afterwards however aren’t many counter reads, we appear to be focused on attacking or shooting the open shot at that point. 

Either way, due to the pace we are scoring a decent amount of points.

Like someone said we aren’t stopping anybody at all right now giving almost 70 points in each of the 2 first halves. 

That’s ok tho. Bud established his offense here in his first season and then went back and added the defensive focus in his second year. Lloyd is probably going to do the same thing when it’s all said and done 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

Yes you are tripping! LOL!

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

54 minutes ago, hazer said:

Indeed. Scoring is way up ☝?

As are pace, assists, and tonight’s franchise record 22 3-pointers made. Only 12 turnovers too. Beautiful indeed ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KB21 said:

13 hours ago, hazer said:

Indeed. Scoring is way up ☝?

12 hours ago, hazer said:

As are pace, assists, and tonight’s franchise record 22 3-pointers made. Only 12 turnovers too. Beautiful indeed ?

32 assists on 48 field goals ?