• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young: Reasons for Optimism & An Unexpected Concern

vdunkndunk

Just now, Final_quest said:

Something about a Trae Young to Josh Smith comparison rings hollow to me.  Definitely need more time to see how this unfolds.  

Right now I think Trae is benefitting from defenders respecting his shot based off of reputation.

There is no comparison. Smoove was open almost always. No one with any sense is leaving Trae open

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Something about a Trae Young to Josh Smith comparison rings hollow to me.  Definitely need more time to see how this unfolds.  

Josh Smith is just a proxy for a bad shot that opposing defenses want you to take.  Use a different shorthand if you want but notionally opposing teams wanted Josh to take those jumpers and I think they'll be happy with Trae shooting from 38 feet.  There will be a "Pero Antic" period where they keep respecting the shot even though it isn't worth contesting (think of how Indy honored his shot his first year with us but teams didn't mark him so closely his second season) but it is unlikely to sustain in the long run because smart teams will eventually adjust and just let him have that shot if he isn't shooting 37% or so on them.

• Like 2

While I am still decidedly bummed both by us losing Bud and worse getting nothing for him and the protections on the Mavs pick, I cannot honestly believe in Trae and Smoove are remotely being compared.  And I say this as a Smoove fan.

Of all the things that concern me with Trae, shooting ain't remotely one of them.  Ultimately, he needs to shoot less off the dribble and golly am I missing Collins who should really open up the pick and roll.  Trae is a great shooter and the season is quite (sorry) young.  His defense is what I always will remain concerned with and even in the best possible multiverse version of the Hawks, it well might be a disaster once we are in the playoffs.  Come 2026 or whenevs.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2018 at 8:51 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Listening to the game on satellite radio. Trae is 1 for his last 16 from 3.   ?????

Tonight

Doncic is 2-7. 0-2 from 3. 7 points at the half..

JJJ is 2-8. 0-2 from 3. 7 points . 1 min left in the 4th qtr.

Every rookie will struggle from time to time..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrell said:

Tonight

And JJJ only has 1 rebound......

Just now, terrell said:

And JJJ only has 1 rebound......

In 37 min. Wow..

1 hour ago, terrell said:

Tonight

Doncic ended the night with 22pts, 6 reb, 8 assists on 9-15 shooting. He is absolutely rock solid. He hardly ever has a bad game.

On 11/8/2018 at 11:54 AM, High5 said:

He's been great at catch and shoot 3's. 43.5% on 2.1 attempts. Unfortunately he's shooting 19.1% on his 4.3 pull up 3's. I'm not worried about it yet. There's a lot that can and should happen that will improve the percentage. 

This post hits it on the head. He is a very go 3pt shooter. It’s just that he doesn’t take the high % 3s, which is for him, the catch and shoot. I think most of this comes from not having another player the other team fears. So Trae is stuck with making his own shot. You rarely see the defense leave him in order to get a catch and shoot / pass from a team mate. 

I think when John comes back it will help Trae’s shooting. Once his other 2 draft class members get comfortable in the game Trae is going to be deadly. They all are capable of shooting high percentage three-point shots.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Right now Trae is 19-73 from three on the year, his .260% ranking 141 of 143 qualifying players. Ouch.

Hes at 42%fg, and 81% FREE THROW. The 3's will come. CP3 and others shot low % from 3 as rookies. And we all knew Doncic was the most NBA ready player. Nothing new there. Plus it takes time for young pg's especially..

7 minutes ago, terrell said:

Who u taking?

It’s tough but I liked Zion or Barrett until today when Cam Red went off. 

Those 3 for our own top pick if it’s top 5, and for the Mavs I like Romeo Langford a lot and Bol Bol is really improving with that 6th pick maybe we can snag him. People are saying he’s a lock for top 5 though.

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

It’s tough but I liked Zion or Barrett until today when Cam Red went off. 

Those 3 for our own top pick if it’s top 5, and for the Mavs I like Romeo Langford a lot and Bol Bol is really improving with that 6th pick maybe we can snag him. People are saying he’s a lock for top 5 though.

Tankathon has us at #3 and #8...Reddish/BolBol? lol

• Like 1

I remain at the same point I was on with Trae. There will be ugly nights and there will be great nights. I think all young PGs are going to suck as it's gotten harder for younger PGs than QBs in football. But if he's going to be great, we'll see the step forward quickly. Not the 2-3 year stuff, during next season.

• Like 1