• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

what player would you want as the Backup PointGuard

Blunt91

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

This is about developing Huerter.  There is no need to have a PG on the floor with Huerter when Huerter is supposed to be running point.  You just need someone who can guard the opposing PG.

What you do need is decent floor spacing because a good way to stifle development of a young guard is to have the game suddenly change when people start laying off your "shooting" guard as your inexperienced playmakers is supposed to be developing his game.

Turner should be fine running point himself in a limited reserve role.  I just think it is unfair to ask Huerter to take on a playmaking role with someone playing the 2 who will create spacing problems and make that job harder than it needs to be.  I'd rather see Turner on the floor with Trae and use that as an opportunity to develop Trae's off-the-ball skills.

Huerter has on shown limited Bazemore grade vision.  Now doesn't make stupid passes like Bembry but Huerter is only a secondary playmaker at best.  Plus I don't consider playmaking swing the ball around to a 3 point shooter.

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Huerter has on shown limited Bazemore grade vision.  Now doesn't make stupid passes like Bembry but Huerter is only a secondary playmaker at best.  Plus I don't consider playmaking swing the ball around to a 3 point shooter.

That is a lot of what Steph Curry does.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is a lot of what Steph Curry does.

Curry isn't a great playmaker.  I've already told y'all what I think of Golden state's offense.  Hero ball city!  As long as you have all of the hero ball marksmen healthy, they have a shot.  But when one goes down to injury and they have to set up a teammate for an easy shot...Ain't happening!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Curry isn't a great playmaker.  I've already told y'all what I think of Golden state's offense.  Hero ball city!  As long as you have all of the hero ball marksmen healthy, they have a shot.  But when one goes down to injury and they have to set up a teammate for an easy shot...Ain't happening!

The first line of that was the best. 

Passing

Trae>>>>>>>> Curry

Stop the comparisons people just because both have range it doesn’t mean much.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

2015-2016 Warriors would like a word.

The arrival of Durant has made them change to a more Iso system because well, KD. Also doesn't help that their team is much thinner since the KD signing. Steph Curry may not be an elite playmaker but he's a pretty good one and improved so much from College to now. He was never a natural PG like Trae, more like a scoring undersized SG turned PG. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Do you think we are trying to develop Huerter to be a "great playmaker"?  Of course not.  We want him to be able to be the lead facilitator on the floor with the ball swinging around and ending up with good 3pt shots or cutters slashing to the rim.  So Huerter feeding an open 3pt shooter is exactly what we want.  But when Turner is on the floor than the defender will sag off of him and you leave only 2-3 viable targets for long distance shots instead of 3-4.  The Hawks are going to continue to emphasize the 3 and Huerter should be developing so he can handle the ball on a team like that.

Use Turner as the primary ballhandler when he is on the floor so you can get some benefit from him playing, not as an off-the-ball wing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

The first line of that was the best. 

Passing

Trae>>>>>>>> Curry

Stop the comparisons people just because both have range it doesn’t mean much.

The comparison is because both like to shoot from 30 + Feet out. Curry's long range is his most distinctive characteristic so when a  young PG like Trae comes in and likes to do the same thing, the comparisons make sense at least superficially. Of course, when you look at both closely you realize they are very different players, but for the average fan they will look at the 35-foot heaves and there aren't any other players outside Steph and Lilliard (referred to as baby Curry) who do that, so the reason the comparison exists makes sense.  

The way I see Trae Young is as a Nash clone with a little bit of Curry sprinkled on top.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

The comparison is because both like to shoot from 30 + Feet out. 

I wasn't trying to trigger a Curry / Trae discussion.  Just using Curry as an example of someone who does a fine job as a lead playmaker but doesn't have amazing passing skills.  I think that is the kind of playmaking roll you'd expect from Huerter if he develops.  And if it is your goal to develop that then you shouldn't make it extra difficult for him.

28 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

5 straight years leading the league in assists = hero ball city? Ball movement has been arguably their greatest strength.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I wasn't trying to trigger a Curry / Trae discussion.  Just using Curry as an example of someone who does a fine job as a lead playmaker but doesn't have amazing passing skills.  I think that is the kind of playmaking roll you'd expect from Huerter if he develops.  And if it is your goal to develop that then you shouldn't make it extra difficult for him.

Huerter has some nice passing skills, he'll be a better passer than the average SG for sure. His lack of court awareness and ability to make quick reads limited his passing numbers last year, but those are things most rookies struggle with and Huerter, in particular, was hesitant from a lack of confidence last year, especially early on in the season. Out of all of our young non-rookie players, I actually expect Huerter to take the biggest jump next season. I think it'll take a while before Cam Reddish makes a consistent impact, and Hunter is not a shot creator. With Bazemore gone we are going to have a lot of shots available for Reddish/Hunter/Huerter and I fully expect Huerter to take the majority of them. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Do you think we are trying to develop Huerter to be a "great playmaker"?  Of course not.  We want him to be able to be the lead facilitator on the floor with the ball swinging around and ending up with good 3pt shots or cutters slashing to the rim.  So Huerter feeding an open 3pt shooter is exactly what we want.  But when Turner is on the floor than the defender will sag off of him and you leave only 2-3 viable targets for long distance shots instead of 3-4.  The Hawks are going to continue to emphasize the 3 and Huerter should be developing so he can handle the ball on a team like that.

Use Turner as the primary ballhandler when he is on the floor so you can get some benefit from him playing, not as an off-the-ball wing.

Like I said...thats not playmaking...That Bazemore/Bembry/Prince level passing. Turner is a real playmaker.

• Premium Member

And this notion that you can't plasy him with Bembry is hog wash! Golden Stae was playing Green, Igadala and Cousin/Looney/Boget a lot in the NBA finals! Only Alanta snobs feel like you can't play on their team unless you shoot 35% or better from the 3 point line!😎

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

And this notion that you can't plasy him with Bembry is hog wash! Golden Stae was playing Green, Igadala and Cousin/Looney/Boget a lot in the NBA finals! Only Alanta snobs feel like you can't play on their team unless you shoot 35% or better from the 3 point line!😎

Just wait and watch what happens with floor spacing if Bembry and Turner get on the floor together.  Hog wash will be too nice a term for what that offense looks like.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, High5 said:

5 straight years leading the league in assists = hero ball city? Ball movement has been arguably their greatest strength.

2 hours ago, High5 said:

Shot makers will make every passer look better

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, High5 said:

I don't know why I bother.

The Hawks have the best ball movement in the league but they didn't have a lot of shot makers therefore their assist numbers don'treflect it.  A poor pass to a guy that is covered that culminates in a basket counts i.e a hand of to Durant who then raises up over his defender to hit a fade away three counts as an assist just as much as a Trae special to Collins for an easy dunk. Without Durant, those numbers went down because they were unable to set up the average NBA player for an easy basket because of the lack of playmaking skill on the team

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Hawks have the best ball movement in the league but they didn't have a lot of shot makers therefore their assist numbers don'treflect it.  A poor pass to a guy that is covered that culminates in a basket counts i.e a hand of to Durant who then raises up over his defender to hit a fade away three counts as an assist just as much as a Trae special to Collins for an easy dunk. Without Durant, those numbers went down because they were unable to set up the average NBA player for an easy basket because of the lack of playmaking skill on the team

The Warrios lead the league in assists before Durant got there. They carved teams up with their passing. You're only focusing on the Toronto series, which they may have very well won if Klay hadn't been injured too.

• Premium Member

There was a play at the end of I think game 4 in the finals where Golden State was losing by 1 and had the ball with10 plus seconds left in the game...One would think that would be the perfect opportunity to run a play or get fouled and get to the free throw line but not Golden State. They inbound the ball to Curry who immediately jacks up a 35 footer with like 8 seconds left on the clock when they only need a 2 point shot to take the lead. That my friend is Hero Ball at its finest!

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

There was a play at the end of I think game 4 in the finals where Golden State was losing by 1 and had the ball with10 plus seconds left in the game...One would think that would be the perfect opportunity to run a play or get fouled and get to the free throw line but not Golden State. They inbound the ball to Curry who immediately jacks up a 35 footer with like 8 seconds left on the clock when they only need a 2 point shot to take the lead. That my friend is Hero Ball at its finest!

Trae had his bad hero ball moments too, but you seem to think the Hawks are the best passing team regardless. Not much consistency there.

• Premium Member
Just now, High5 said:

Trae had his bad hero ball moments too, but you seem to think the Hawks are the best passing team regardless. Not much consistency there.

But Trae was a rookie last year trying to find his way...Golden State is full of vet player..Big difference.  Also in the series, there was a game where Steph had 50 plus points because he was connecting on most of his long bombs. There may have been one other player in double figures in that game. And of course they lost.  Hero ball