what player would you want as the Backup PointGuard

Blunt91

Here is a list of free Agent Point guards whom the hawks could sign to backup Trae.  I listed players who I think we could get without spending a lot of money on and are good character guys.    

1. Jerryd Bayless

2. Jeremy Lin

3.  Ryan Arcidiacono

4.  Shabazz Napier

5.  Corey Joseph(maybe not so cheap, but I like him)

For me in order (realistic):

1. TJ McConnell: price tag 🏷 is probably higher than most but gritty tough player and a perfect backup to Trae.

2. Corey Joseph: Slotted as the perfect backup pg to anybody. Knows his role and plays it hard.

3. Delon Wright: (Restricted FA): Look we have a bit of money to spend. If we have to spend a little on a contract I’d dip my toes for this kid. He’s a youngster but a vet in my mind. Dueling with Dorell since a ways back. More of a longer term solution behind Trae. 

4. Tyus Jones: see above (same exact thing but didn’t duel 🤺 with Dorell but rather Tre, his younger bro). Young player with a vet scent to him.

5. JJ Barea: At the right price, he could teach Trae some unwritten tricks like how to win a title while clinging Andrew Bynum’s nuts 🥜 together like he’s playin the bongos! Coming off an injury but he’s a tough SOB.

6. Milos Teodosic: NBA career got wasted a bit. Was hoping he came over earlier and landed with the Spurs. He got caught up in some LA drama. Prolly going back to Europe but classy dude who could teach Trae a lot and be invaluable in the locker room. Most likely not happening.

7. Time Frazier: A few years ago he came to Atlanta and the Pelicans beat us by 77 points...ok not 77 but a lot and he played like Magic Johnson that night. 😆 He knows how to ball. Like him a ton. Rebounds well for his size and competes hard on both ends.

8. Ron Baker: 6’4” 220. Great size for a point. Specially a backup to a smaller Trae. Can do a bit of everything. Not flashy but fundamental for the most part. He belongs on that 70’s show but wouldn’t mind him at State Farm for 41!  Headed to Europe probably.

Aaaannnd.. 8 is enough. @sturt the theme of the 80’s continues from Hunter to..

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

No love for Lin?

I left a few off that definitely still fit but just don’t think it’s in the cards ♦️ to get them back. Lin and Cook were a couple x Hawks that fit but I left off because I just don’t think it’s happening. Shelvin Mack and Jose Calderon as well. Wow that’s actually 4 x Hawks. Crazy.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I left a few off that definitely still fit but just don’t think it’s in the cards ♦️ to get them back. Lin and Cook were a couple x Hawks that fit but I left off because I just don’t think it’s happening. Shelvin Mack and Jose Calderon as well. Wow that’s actually 4 x Hawks. Crazy.

Why? You think after sitting the bench in TOR, Lin became a hot commodity that can demand big dollars? What I'm reading from independent writers suggests he might not even be in the top dozen of free agent PGs out there.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

Why? You think after sitting the bench in TOR, Lin became a hot commodity that can demand big dollars? What I'm reading from independent writers suggests he might not even be in the top dozen of free agent PGs out there.

He most definitely has some left in the tank but I feel like he came with a lot of baggage...mainly other fan baggage so it’s probably a bit of personal selfishness wanting to keep him off the Hawks roster again. Let’s just say me and a bunch of his fans...

We don’t get along. 😆 I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, sturt said:

That one was for Spud, btw.... something I'd correct if I had an edit button.... this is weird that we have no edit button.

Is this new?  Doesn’t show up like that for me but I always have some differences.

So we throwing Jaylen under the bus and backing it up huh lol.

An upgrade is essential though.  

I’ve always thought Collison and Beverly were elite level BUs, but only good starters.  The erroneous evaluation of small guards by themselves and GMs has blurred the lines and wrecked payrolls so much.  What the hell make Rozier think he can demand starters’ money?

I’m looking at Quinn Cook all playoffs thinking how the hell did we let him out our sights?

I like Arcidiacono (good job predictive spelling). I’m an assist to turnover fiend, my man at Nash level (4:1 career). Great size at 6’3”, 200, > -1 defensive box, more Win Shares than Trae.  At only 11% usage that potential is just waiting to be unlocked.  I expect Schlenk to take a good look.

I like Napier’s defensive effort, can’t get with the efg.

I’d rather see Devin Harris play 5 more years than Raymond Felton play 1 more minute out this mofo.

Always was a Norris Cole fan.  Had no idea he was killing it over in Europe.