• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How certain are we the Atlanta Hawks are going to be any better this season?

enrique

hace 3 horas, Peoriabird dijo:

The Knicks?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d3b42e53071544f36

Ok, ok, I know it was not going to be a very popular statement but I just like the players they have, I agree floor spacing is an issue but they are not so bad and they are going to win lore than 25 games, I am sure....

His starting lineup is going to be Dennis Smith, Barrett, Morris, Randle and Robinson, their bench is Payton, Bullock, Dotson , Bradziekis, Gibson and Portis, pretty strong bench. Robinson and Barrett are going to be all-stars, they are a pretty good young core... Robinson is going to be a defensive star center, Barrett is going to be a star scorer, Randle is a pretty good PF, can rebound a lot, good passing, can shoot the 3, 1 3pt last year, Morris provides the shooting, 2 3pts made last season and can play SF. At PG I understand Dennis Smith and Payton have failed expectations but I think Smith is a much better player that he has shown. On the bench Bullock, Dotson and Bradzeikis are good shooters, Payton is more than solid PG and Portis is a big that could start in some teams. They are talented, have a big that is going to play for MIP, have an up and coming scorer and very solid and young players, I think they have a good and underated team. Just the trio of Barrett, Randle and Rpbinson I think is very good, recognizing the fir is not very good there is no way they win only 25 games. Watch out with Bradzeikis.

Knicks have a lot of talent but low on impactful talent that has a clue about winning Basketball. 

It reminds you of the Hawks team with Glenn Robinson, SAR, Ratliff and them where the talent was there but the fit wasn't and the talent wasn't impactful. 

They just need to figure who fits around R.J.

hace 7 minutos, NBASupes dijo:

Knicks have a lot of talent but low on impactful talent that has a clue about winning Basketball. 

It reminds you of the Hawks team with Glenn Robinson, SAR, Ratliff and them where the talent was there but the fit wasn't and the talent wasn't impactful. 

They just need to figure who fits around R.J.

Yeah, you might be right, I think Robinson fits any team, we are going to regret passing on him, everyone is going to regret but it was a clear choice for us as we needed a Center badly and we passed twice on him, I could not believe it. Barrett needs the ball and Smith can play off the ball too so is not a terrible fit although Smith needs to improve his efficiency. Morris provides the shooting they need. The biggest questionmark is probably Randle as he plays point Forward, they need to figure out how to share the ball between Randle, Smith and Barrett but if they figure out they could be really dangerous. 

I know alot of you guys are having a problem with accepting this but.........

Len is better then Dedmon, period!

Now I am not dogging Dedmon cause I would like him to still be here, but Len out produced him last year and he will grow even more this year. Bank it!!

Edited by IheartVolt
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Yeah, you might be right, I think Robinson fits any team, we are going to regret passing on him, everyone is going to regret but it was a clear choice for us as we needed a Center badly and we passed twice on him, I could not believe it. Barrett needs the ball and Smith can play off the ball too so is not a terrible fit although Smith needs to improve his efficiency. Morris provides the shooting they need. The biggest questionmark is probably Randle as he plays point Forward, they need to figure out how to share the ball between Randle, Smith and Barrett but if they figure out they could be really dangerous. 

Robinson BBIQ and feel will always be an issue but like you stated, he should be a fit, especially with R.J. 

Smith such a on ball player as we seen with him and Doncic, I have zero faith in the pairing. I am still billing Smith as a future 6th man of the year type which the Knicks have in abundance. I actually like Frank's fit with R.J.

Morris is probably my favorite move from them this offseason outside of the draft. Morris fits well with R.J. 

I like the fit of Frank/Ellington/Barrett/Morris/Rob

But i can see NY trying to play the best guys and it just looking ugly af. 

2 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

I know alot of you guys are having a problem with accepting this but.........

Len is better then Dedmon, period!

Now I am not dogging Dedmon cause I would like him to still be here, but Len out produced him last year and he will grow even more this year. Bank it!!

More talented, yes. Better???

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, gurpilo said:

Just the trio of Barrett, Randle and Rpbinson I think is very good, recognizing the fir is not very good there is no way they win only 25 games. Watch out with Bradzeikis.

Barrett will get exposed for the bad shooter and poor decision maker he is like he did in summer league

43 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Robinson BBIQ and feel will always be an issue but like you stated, he should be a fit, especially with R.J. 

Smith such a on ball player as we seen with him and Doncic, I have zero faith in the pairing. I am still billing Smith as a future 6th man of the year type which the Knicks have in abundance. I actually like Frank's fit with R.J.

Morris is probably my favorite move from them this offseason outside of the draft. Morris fits well with R.J. 

I like the fit of Frank/Ellington/Barrett/Morris/Rob

But i can see NY trying to play the best guys and it just looking ugly af. 

More talented, yes. Better???

You tell me with a straight face that Len's performance the last quarter of the season was not better then Dedmon's. Again I am not dogging Dedmon cause he was solid but I am genuinely excited to see what Len does this year

• Admin
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Hawks were 12th in scoring offense and 30th in scoring defense, giving up a whopping 119 ppg.  For the Hawks to get significantly better, that defensive number has to be closer to 15th in scoring defense.

This 

we are a horrible defensive team and we lost our two best defenders.

we have to hid Trae and Collins in d and til we learn how to stop some peeps we are not going to improve that much.

we have offense in spades but we need to address the d problem.  Drafting defenders was good but that isn’t enough.  

More accurately we were 23rd on offense and 27th on defense. Offensive/Defensive Rating is a lot more meaningful than raw PPG. Either way our defense sucks, but we gotta clean up the offense, too. Granted the offensive rating was a lot better after the break. I forget what we were ranked. 

Edited by High5
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, High5 said:

More accurately we were 23rd on offense and 27th on defense. Offensive/Defensive Rating is a lot more meaningful than raw PPG. Either way our defense sucks, but we gotta clean up the offense, too. Granted the offensive rating was a lot better after the break. I forget what we were ranked. 

We cut down on turnovers and we should be much better on Defense.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, High5 said:

What was our offensive and defensive ranks in the 2nd half of season.

Limiting Unforced turnovers will help the defense. You can't set and play defense when that happens.

• Premium Member

I have a question for the stat heads regarding Trae's defensive metrics.

When we played a team like the Wiz last season, Trae was matched up with Ariza on defense. The PG at the time, Satoransky was having a field day against Huerter, Baze, Bembry etc......does Sato's offensive boxcore numbers count towards Trae's defensive metrics.  I picked this game specifically because @kg01 and @Spud2nique good friend Bob8 clained that Trae was being eaten alive by Sato, I had to tell him stop boxscore watching since Trae wasn't defending him. 

I understand in those instances we are 'hiding' Trae on defense. I just want to know how those metrics are quantified for Trae since that was the case for several games last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have a question for the stat heads regarding Trae's defensive metrics.

When we played a team like the Wiz last season, Trae was matched up with Ariza on defense. The PG at the time, Satoransky was having a field day against Huerter, Baze, Bembry etc......does Sato's offensive boxcore numbers count towards Trae's defensive metrics.  I picked this game specifically because @kg01 and @Spud2nique good friend Bob8 clained that Trae was being eaten alive by Sato, I had to tell him stop boxscore watching since Trae wasn't defending him. 

I understand in those instances we are 'hiding' Trae on defense. I just want to know how those metrics are quantified for Trae since that was the case for several games last season.

It shouldn't count against Trae, although since the only reason he was matched up on Ariza was to hide him on D and it forced our slower wings to matchup with Sato it should also not be considered any great compliment to his defensive metrics.  I suspect how sophisticated these are depend on how they are getting their data.  There are systems out there that track actual matchups for sure.

I think it is possible to see it work against him indirectly for the metrics that look at what happens when a player is on the floor.  In that case, any distortion like that which forces us to play suboptimal matchups will reflect poorly on him.  (I.e., if when he is on the floor we unnaturally put him against the opponents' worst perimeter scorer and force others to matchup with the bigger threats which would be Beal and Sato in this case, even when they aren't natural matchups due to speed, etc., it will make him look bad.  It will also hurt the rating for others on the floor during these times but they will be helped if the lineup reverts to something more natural and effective when Trae is out.)

Long-term, we need Trae to be able to hold his own against guys like Satoransky.

• Like 1

Trae doesn't struggle to stay in front of Sato but his lack of awareness made him food on off ball actions and Sato always took him to the paint like Westbrook did as well. Just a tough matchup. Trae also struggled with Rubio as well

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What was our offensive and defensive ranks in the 2nd half of season.

Limiting Unforced turnovers will help the defense. You can't set and play defense when that happens.

Like I said, I know we were way better on offense than 23rd in the 2nd half, but I don't know where to find those splits.

Actually NBA.com has it. Our offensive rating was 11th after the break. Our defensive rating was 24th. Our net rating was 20th.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season&SeasonSegment=Post All-Star

Edited by High5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1