• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is Doing a Rebuild Right... Anyway??

Diesel

As far as the ten man rotation idea, I actually like our forward depth chart. At SF we have one guy who can play PF as well and the other guy can play both guard spots pretty soon. Seems pretty wonderful. At PF we have two offense weapons and one is a truly great rebounder and then if needed Hunter can swing over. I'm counting Bembry and Crabbe as guards only at this point and that is if Crabbe ever shows. Parsons and VC aren't part of the ten man but we do have that extra coach and locker room guy in Vince. Think our four main forwards are set up here quite nicely (a Parker injury would be the most likely wrench to me, fingers crossed).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 9/1/2019 at 10:24 PM, High5 said:

When were we in contention? We won one 2nd round series in 10 years of playoffs and were promptly swept. And it's much better to be a first round exit with a team of ~21 year olds instead of a team of overpaid vets. 

If we contend again our young players will be vets.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, High5 said:

You've always seemed to ignore the existence of the salary cap. People don't care about the money. People care about the money being used within the salary cap to build a contender and not to max out on mediocrity. Which is where we were before Schlenk got here.

Well winning teams dont worry about the cap or $$$, they just go get what they need to win.  I remember those days in the ATL.  

No trying to start a argument, just stating the other side of those statements.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Well winning teams dont worry about the cap or $$$, they just go get what they need to win.  I remember those days in the ATL.  

No trying to start a argument, just stating the other side of those statements.  

Those winning teams didn't worry about the cap since they were spendinv for superstar players. Remind me when the Hawks were doing that?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:

I remember those days in the ATL. 

Really? When? Even 30 years ago when we were winning, for some reason the guys that we wanted didn’t just fall into our laps and we could never land them.

I will say we got 2 vets in the late 80’s that should have put us over the top... Damnit that 88 Celts series is prolly the one I’ll never get over. 

1988 NBA finals: Hawks Lakers

1994 NBA finals: Hawks Rockets

We should have made it. 😩 

Oh btw the 2 vets were Moses and Theus.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Those winning teams didn't worry about the cap since they were spendinv for superstar players. Remind me when the Hawks were doing that?

Never, we’ve literally never done that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Remind me when the Hawks were doing that?

Yup never. You can count Moses and Theus but to me those are more regular transactions and trades and at the time a lot of teams had given up on those two guys because Moses was old and Theus was a ball hog. Demand was less, so the league left them for us. 

I love Moses and he brought whatever was left which was a lot in the first year but age caught up.

Theus was an absolute problem. I was listening to NBA radio yesterday where he mentioned playing for a stacked team with the Hawks in 88 and only getting like 15 minutes a game. NOT TRUE! THAT WAS THE PROBLEM REGGIE! You shoulda gotten 15 minutes but you got double that. Thought he provided good numbers..roughly 17/3/5 with us in 3 years they would only be individual type numbers and very ANTI team winning numbers.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

I disagree with the thought that you keep taking swipes at the draft. 

I think the draft can help a lot but to keep taking swipes without planning is BK thinking.   And the moment you make a mistake with the picks is the moment you realize that what you could have had would have led to greatness.  i.e. CP3 over Marvin. 

Why did we need Marvin... we had Childress, Smoove, Harrington, Joe, and probably 3 other SFs.   Donta...  We needed a PG.

Right now, Travis is doing the same thing. 

I like Reddish.  But Hunter...  I don't know.   Was the Trae pick one that we will regret?  There's a lot of questions right now and it's the same feeling you had when we picked Marvin.   Some people (just like with Marvin) are putting out their ... OH... Management is right about this guy speech.   He's going to be a star... blah blah blah.  As for me. I just hope that we've done our due diligence and we know how the next group fits and we're not just hoping that one will be a star. 

Whole buncha nope...

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a9baa567bfc1ef696bd

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Really? When? Even 30 years ago when we were winning, for some reason the guys that we wanted didn’t just fall into our laps and we could never land them.

I will say we got 2 vets in the late 80’s that should have put us over the top... Damnit that 88 Celts series is prolly the one I’ll never get over. 

1988 NBA finals: Hawks Lakers

1994 NBA finals: Hawks Rockets

We should have made it. 😩 

Oh btw the 2 vets were Moses and Theus.

Never, we’ve literally never done that!

Moses was a superstar.  

4 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Reggie Theus, Moses Malone.  

Ya I said that in my last post but at that point in the late 80’s there wasn’t a HUGE market for Moses. Plus we were one of the top 5 teams in the league at the time. Right now we are not, so it makes no sense to just outright sign guys that will keep us on the treadmill. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

was

Operative word here. With the Rockets 🚀 he was the man. Late 80’s with us he had a year that was pretty good but declined kinda fast. He was in the league forever though so..his body was just done.

No doubt in history though Moses is a top 15 guy in history. Amazing talent.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Yup never. You can count Moses and Theus but to me those are more regular transactions and trades and at the time a lot of teams had given up on those two guys because Moses was old and Theus was a ball hog. Demand was less, so the league left them for us. 

I love Moses and he brought whatever was left which was a lot in the first year but age caught up.

Theus was an absolute problem. I was listening to NBA radio yesterday where he mentioned playing for a stacked team with the Hawks in 88 and only getting like 15 minutes a game. NOT TRUE! THAT WAS THE PROBLEM REGGIE! You shoulda gotten 15 minutes but you got double that. Thought he provided good numbers..roughly 17/3/5 with us in 3 years they would only be individual type numbers and very ANTI team winning numbers.

Huh?  He was putting up 22/9.7 when we got him from the Bullets... this was some of his best basketball.  (Moses). 

Moses, Theus, and Nique just didn't work. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

22/9.7 

Made up stats. He actually put up 20.2 and 11.8 boards in his first year with us which was an all star year but he was 34 years old and had the body of a 43 year old at the time. Too much wear and tear and immediately after we got rid of him his career was essentially over.

My main point is that we were a top 5 or 6 team in the league and we got a center that was old and Theus who hogged it. Right now, we aren’t a top team. So I guess I’m not understanding why you want us to sign championship pieces and add players right now when we are a year too early on that front. We need to grow from within that’s it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

this was some of his best basketball.  (Moses). 

Again no it wasn’t. Look at Moses’s stats from 78-87, he averaged way better numbers and played better basketball than with us. Comon Diesel you can’t make up stats bro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1