• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My take on our Forwards.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Cam Reddish... Got the It factor. 

De'Andre Hunter... Don't. 

I don't know how badly Reddish was hurt but this dude has that power/finesse.   The only thing I don't like is that he shot more than 2/3rds of his shots from 3.   That's a college 3 before you guys get too beside yourself.   I think he definitely has around the basket ability that could rival young Lebron.   But he's only 218.   Vince Carter ought to be his shadow. He ought to soak up every ounce he can from Vinsanity.

Hunter is an all around player but I don't think he excels at any one thing.  He'll be good but not dominant. 

I like the size on Huerter.  Now... among these three, the two that shows that they can play defense will be starters.  Unfortunately, I think that means that Reddish is out... but Reddish won't be off the bench for long.   He's too naturally dominant. (once he comes back 100%) .

I don't think Collins is suited for the 5.   I think we may see more of Collins Len in the front court.   I'm good with it until we can find a suitable replacement for Len.  I'm not against Len but I would love to see Marcin Gortat setting picks for Trae.

Right now though.   Jabari Parker, Chandler Parsons.   are these guys just here for trades later?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even though I don't always agree. I always find Diesel's comments to be interesting and I always read. Thanks Diesel

Diesel, what you think about Bruno?

I went back to posts over the years and while Diesel hit or miss is per with most others, he tends to have strong opinions which are interesting to say the least

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

Hunter reminds me of Al Horford. He is potentially elite at things that a lot of people don't value outside of teams, coaches and guys like me. Like Al, he is not elite at those things as a rookie but will be in time. 

Diesel, while I don't agree with parts of the take on Cam, I do agree with two things you said, he got the it factor and VC needs to be his vet. 80% of his shots being threes is not an issue to me. Like John Collins displayed a shooting touch at Wake in a limited role, Cam displayed iso skills at Duke in a limited role. He also has high end 3pt variance which is most critical and translates. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Even though I don't always agree. I always find Diesel's comments to be interesting and I always read. Thanks Diesel

Diesel, what you think about Bruno?

I went back to posts over the years and while Diesel hit or miss is per with most others, he tends to have strong opinions which are interesting to say the least

I like Bruno's strength underneath for a college player.   He's very athletic.   Does that mean he should start right away??  Probably not.  I would let him bang some with Alex Len in Practice.  I think he's not going to enjoy the body maturity that he did in college but if he is in practice learning to bang with other bigs, it will help him to get use to facing bigs.  Unlike Collins, I think he can play some 5.   In the future, I can easily see:   Bruno, Collins, Reddish, Huerta, and Trae being a starting lineup that will give other teams fits. Mainly because of their speed and shooting. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Hunter reminds me of Al Horford. He is potentially elite at things that a lot of people don't value outside of teams, coaches and guys like me. Like Al, he is not elite at those things as a rookie but will be in time. 

Diesel, while I don't agree with parts of the take on Cam, I do agree with two things you said, he got the it factor and VC needs to be his vet. 80% of his shots being threes is not an issue to me. Like John Collins displayed a shooting touch at Wake in a limited role, Cam displayed iso skills at Duke in a limited role. He also has high end 3pt variance which is most critical and translates. 

I'm always afraid of a player who has it... going all Smoove on us.  I see inside dominance written all over Cam.   I mean I don't think he will have trouble finding the hoop because he has the outside threat.   At the same time, I don't want to see him fall in love with the 3 pt shot because he's always had the green light to shoot it.   IN a sense, I believe what happened to Smoove is that he got SCARED.  He became SCARED of the Physicality inside.   So he had this God given Gift... Athleticism..., Ignored.  Cam has all Smoove's potential And he can shoot from outside.  33% from College range aint exactly Kyle Korver so I would rather he start focusing more on getting to the bucket.  I believe once he figures out how easy it is for him to do... A star is born.

I also agree about Horford- Hunter.    I believe that Hunter can do a whole lot of things that can translate for a team.  But he doesn't have It.   He's not going to be the guy that goes out and gets you 29/12.  He's going to be the guy who goes out and gets you 17/7 with a very good defensive effort and timely passes.  That's great, but you don't bench Cam for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFuzz said:

You know who Cam reminds me of? Marvin Williams.

@Diesel and @NBASupes what do you think of that comparison?

Marvin was much much better as a college player and I am a strong believer that he would have been a much better player today than he was for 2005 in today's NBA. That said, the player that reminds me of Marvin Williams is Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Cam is his own player. 

I compare Cam to a mix of Jamal Crawford(In space and how he gets it)/Lonzo Ball(athletic ability and defense)/T-Mac (body, fluidity and frame)/Jodie Meeks (movement) with 3pt volume and high end 3pt variance as his go-to translatable Day 1 skills. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheFuzz said:

You know who Cam reminds me of? Marvin Williams.

@Diesel and @NBASupes what do you think of that comparison?

No.  Marvin didn't have the mentality to be great.  He was a defer-er.  I think Cam shoots better.  I think Marvin had a better NBA body even with the duckbutt of doom.   But just like with Smoove... it's what's upstairs that can make all the difference in the world.  Im not falling for the Marvin Curse.

The only curse that worries me about Cam is the Duke curse.   That is that it's like every 10 years Duke puts out a star NBA player and all the rest of the time they put out mediocrity.   Im hoping Cam doesn't become the next Shane Battier. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Even though I don't always agree. I always find Diesel's comments to be interesting and I always read. Thanks Deisel!

Someone resembles that remark 😬

• Haha 3

• Moderators

I agree entirely with what you said, Diesel.  We are overloaded at wing players and I'm not as high on Deandre as others.  I hope he proves me wrong though because supposedly he's our best defender. I think Bruno will be the next fan fave on this team... seems like a likable player. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/4/2019 at 11:11 PM, Diesel said:

Cam Reddish... Got the It factor.

I think he definitely has around the basket ability that could rival young Lebron.   But he's only 218.   V

Ummm I think you are imagining things that aren't a strength in his game yet!  Reddish was historically bad around the rim in college!

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Ummm I think you are imagining things that aren't a strength his game yet!  Reddish was historically bad around the rim in college!

It was definitely a weakness for him last season.  Tough to tell what is real or not if you buy into injury being a huge factor, though. 

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Kinda hard to compare him to Lebron James at this stage don't you think?

Yeah, I don't get the Lebron comparison at the rim stuff. Lebron was a freight train around the rim even as a rookie.

I don't see that in Cam.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yeah, I don't get the Lebron comparison at the rim stuff. Lebron was a freight train around the rim even as a rookie.

I don't see that in Cam.

Agreed.  Apples and Oranges....

:clapping:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Don't see the comparison at all.  Just saying that I'm hoping a lot of his game shows out much better in our system and with a healthy Cam than it did when he was at Duke.  Until we understand his true baseline, comparisons can't be made and certainly shouldn't be made to the strongest elements of the game of a guy who was a generational talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bringing Billy Knight into this seems a waste of time. Base PF is JC and Parker. Base SF is Hunter and Cam. We may have a fairly ridiculous amount of options off of that but they are not main rotation so the BK reference seems weak. Hunter can play both forwards, yet, we have a seemingly never available shooter off the bench in Parsons and a ref intimidating cat in VC. Think our base four is good and that is what we will have on the floor almost all minutes with some growing pains here and there no doubt.