• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nearly 50 point loss games happening too often overall...

JTB

Unfortunately this is hawks related because we are one of the current bad teams in the league that this has already happened to twice this season vs the clippers and vs the rockets....which is inexcusable.

Now while I understand that 2 really really bad losses almost by nearly 50 points is only JUST two games...it’s two too many in my opinion for the professional basketball league that’s suppose to have the best talent in the world when it comes to basketball.

I’m disgusted looking around the league and seeing the Knicks getting beat by nearly 50 twice back to back last week and last night philly destroys the cavs by nearly 50 meanwhile the mavs won by nearly 50 last night too and just being a fan of the nba overall I find it truly upsetting that these bad teams aren’t at least competing for 3 quarters or so. I don’t care if the other bad teams win ...i of course only care if the hawks win but I expect all teams to compete no matter the talent difference between the teams.

i watched the league a long time like many of you and I don’t recall bad teams in any era losing this bad (maybe once for the whole season a bad team slips)...but at this rate in this new era we are bound to see more nearly 50 point loss from the bad teams this season and again it’s already too many as whole.....let’s all just hope it’s not the hawks losing by that many points again this season!

this is the nba folks and I don’t expect these college type blowouts at this level in any game. Have some pride and at least compete. I will take the “use to be ass whoopin” 20 point loss over these nearly 50 point loss and won’t side eye the competitiveness or effort of the losing team but I’m sorry already a handful of nearly 50 point loss games from these teams overall suggest that some of the players on these rosters probably shouldn’t be in the nba.

Yes a loss is a loss but nearly 50 pts! CMON MAN! That’s got to be historic that we’ve seen this many already (not a good thing for the nba either might I add)

• Like 4

@TheNorthCydeRises speaking of the cavs and proper development. HOF coach Larry Brown had a very interesting interview on nba radio that I wish I could post here as it’s something every Hardcore  fan should listen to .

anyways Coach Brown said many interesting things but one in particular that really stood out was when he said something along the lines of “these gms today are too busy hiring development guys to be head coaches instead of hiring actual head coaches to run these teams”

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JTB said:

@TheNorthCydeRises speaking of the cavs and proper development. HOF coach Larry Brown had a very interesting interview on nba radio that I wish I could post here as it’s something every Hardcore  fan should listen to .

anyways Coach Brown said many interesting things but one in particular that really stood out was when he said something along the lines of “these gms today are too busy hiring development guys to be head coaches instead of hiring actual head coaches to run these teams

That's what a young team should do. If you have draft picks and are aiming to develop them for the future, you should hire a guy that's good at developing young talent.  You may not be the highest on Lloyd Pierece, but he stuck with Trae through his strugggles and look at Trae now. John and Kevin improved exponetionally last season.  Cam has shown flashes, Bruno shown flashes, and De'Andre has shown flashes.  You don't want a coach that will bench these players for making mistakes.  They need to play through them. 

The NY Knicks hired David Fizdale (whom I wanted) and I don't think he's a good developmental coach.  I think a coach can be both a good coach and a developmental coach. Hopefully that's Lloyd Pierece.

Edited by marco102
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

That's what a young team should do. If you have draft picks and are aiming to develop them for the future, you should hire a guy that's good at developing young talent.  You may not be the highest on Lloyd Pierece, but he stuck with Trae through his strugggles and look at Trae now. John and Kevin improved exponetionally last season.  Cam has shown flashes, Bruno shown flashes, and De'Andre has shown flashes.  You don't want a coach that will bench these players for making mistakes.  They need to play through them. 

The NY Knicks hired David Fizdale (whom I wanted) and I don't think he's a good developmental coach.  I think a coach can be both a good coach and a developmental coach. Hopefully that's Lloyd Pierece.

I don’t disagree with the strategy...but u do wonder if Coach LP will get the boot once the teams does vastly improve 

4 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The blowouts are occurring because of the new NBA strategy of jacking up a lot of 3s.  Combine that with teams who play REALLY bad defense, and can't rebound worth ( bleep ),  you have a recipe for all of these blowouts.

The Knicks are the worst shooting team in the league in overall FG%.  The Knicks are also the worst FT% team in the league, shooting less than 70% from the FT line ( which is incredible for an NBA team ).   The Knicks are also the 2nd worst defensive team in the league in defending the 3 and DEAD LAST in points scored per game.  It'll be interesting to see if the coaching change will really help that team, because they have too many major issues that need to be dealt with.

The Hawks have the worst 3FG% in the league at barely over 31%.  There hasn't been a team in the NBA that has shot that poorly from 3, since the early 2000s Philadelphia Sixers teams.  We're basically shooting at 1980s levels, with a lot more volume than those teams ever shot.  And this is with Trae Young, a guy shooting 39% from 3 and is by far our highest volume 3 point shooter.  It just shows you how bad most of his supporting cast has shot from 3.  And we all know about the Hawks rebounding woes.  ( 28th overall - 29th in defensive rebounding ) . . . I put that on the coach though, for putting small ball, non-shooting lineups out on the floor.   And we turn the ball over the 2nd most in the NBA.

You look at the 2 blowout losses last night. 

The Pelicans lose by 46 points to "that team in Texas", mainly because they go a whopping 3 - 32 from 3 point range and got outrebounded 55 - 34.  Yes, that team misses Zion's presence and activity in the paint, and they miss Derrick Favors impact on the boards.   But you have to play REALLY bad to lose like that.  Ball and Holiday, who are good all around guards, have 2 fatal flaws.  1) They can't shoot well enough from 3 on a consistent basis ( Ball at 34% actually shoots better than Holiday at 33% ) . . and 2) Neither guy goes to the FT line.  Holiday averages less than 3 attempts a game.  Ball averages less than 1 FT attempt and has only taken 14 FTs all season.

The Cavs lose by 47 to Philly, and were down 76 - 36 . . . at HALFTIME.  They have a bunch of small guards that they're trying to play, which kills their defense.  Those guards aren't good shooters either.  Kevin Love flat out disappears at times and functions like he still has Lebron and Kyrie playing beside him.  So when you're bottom 5 in overall FG% and 3FG%, and you can't defend ( 29th in defensive FG% ), you're not only going to lose games, you may get blown right out of the gym.

You have too many teams trying to duplicate what Golden State and Houston try to do, without having the shooters that those teams had when they were the best teams in the league.   You also have coaches who won't develop offensive and defensive game plans to fit the personnel they have on the team.  And lastly, you have GMs who are poorly constructing these teams and are just flat out doing a bad job.

The Warriors been getting whooped this year which speaks to our problem as well. Key injuries. 

The Hawks with Collins/healthy Kevin doesn't get whooped.

The Warriors with Steph, Klay, Russell, healthy Green and Russell doesn't get whooped. 

The Pels with Zion and Favors doesn't get whooped. 

The Rockets would get whooped without Harden. 

The Lakers would get whooped without LeBron and AD.

Get my point. 

The Cavs and Knicks were trash teams so yes, they still get whooped. 

The Hawks before the last game was shooting 28% from 3 without Trae Young volume. That's one of the worst in NBA history.

A lot of this is on the rookies especially Cam. The guys we brought in and obviously injuries. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The Warriors been getting whooped this year which speaks to our problem as well. Key injuries. 

The Hawks with Collins/healthy Kevin doesn't get whooped.

The Warriors with Steph, Klay, Russell, healthy Green and Russell doesn't get whooped. 

The Pels with Zion and Favors doesn't get whooped. 

The Rockets would get whooped without Harden. 

The Lakers would get whooped without LeBron and AD.

Get my point. 

The Cavs and Knicks were trash teams so yes, they still get whooped. 

The Hawks before the last game was shooting 28% from 3 without Trae Young volume. That's one of the worst in NBA history.

A lot of this is on the rookies especially Cam. The guys we brought in and obviously injuries. 

Supes....

i think @TheNorthCydeRises meant too many teams are trying to mimic the style of the warriors/rockets with all the launching of 3s

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, marco102 said:

This. Fizdale was more interested in playing the vets vs developing the young players. So you haven't seen any improvement from them as yet.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I agree the number of 3 pointers is a real factor but have a slightly different take on it.  Taking more 3's introduces more variability into a team's game.  When they have a bad night from 3, it can go really, really bad.  When they have a great night, they can win games they have no real right to think about.  I don't think the overall trend is a bad strategic decision but agree it is a sign of problems when a team that isn't good at shooting 3's takes a huge volume of them.  It shows the coach is either trying to instill that offense knowing it will lose now but that it is right for the long-term (i.e., when a lot of the current roster has been replaced with better talent then the remaining guys already know how to play) or is just a moron.