• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to the Hawks, Skal

GameTime

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Because you didn't watch him play.   Portland fans who watched him liked him a lot - as a role player coming off the bench (not that they thought he was replacing Dame as the team's star). 

I did watch him play and not just look at numbers but if y'all want to continue to argue with the guy that is right most of the time...go ahead. Some of y'all like doubling and tripling down on your wrong takes!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I did watch him play and not just look at numbers but if y'all want to continue to argue with the guy that is right most of the time...go ahead. Some of y'all like doubling and tripling down on your wrong takes!

Your view was way out of the mainstream for Portland fans who watched him way more than you.  They liked him.  If he was healthy, you’d like him.  His liability is health not skill or tools.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Your view was way out of the mainstream for Portland fans who watched him way more than you.  They liked him.  If he was healthy, you’d like him.  His liability is health not skill or tools.

Perfect example of what I am talking about...Doubling down on a bad take.  The guy is unemployed while Bembry in someone's rotation.  That alone should tell you what the league thinks of him.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Perfect example of what I am talking about...Doubling down on a bad take.  The guy is unemployed while Bembry in someone's rotation.  That alone should tell you what the league thinks of him.

Show me where it has been reported he is healthy.  I’ll wait.

He is not a star or starter.  He is a rotation guy.  If he can’t play because he is hurt, you aren’t going to fill a roster spot with him.

I N J U R E D.  Common sense.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Show me where it has been reported he is healthy.  I’ll wait.

He is not a star or starter.  He is a rotation guy.  If he can’t play because he is hurt, you aren’t going to fill a roster spot with him.

Common sense.

Isn't Dunn on a roster?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Isn't Dunn on a roster?

Dunn has started the majority of games he has played in the league.  He is a 6th man candidate.  He actually played the 6th most minutes for his teams the last two years and 3rd most the season before that. 

These are not comparable players.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Dunn has started the majority of games he has played in the league.  He is a 6th man candidate.  He actually played the 6th most minutes for his teams the last two years and 3rd most the season before that. 

These are not comparable players.  

HE WAS HURT WHEN SIGNED RIGHT?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Kris Dunn was hurt when signed right?

Right.  He is a guy who was hurt worse than we expected when we signed him and we got him at a discount.  When he comes back he can be a difference maker.  

While you’ll see an article from a Portland writer who was making the case for Skal to start over Hassan Whiteside last year that is an outlier imo.  Skal isn’t that good.  He is a guy who when healthy is your 4th big in a best case at this point in his career.  (He would not threaten CC, JC or Gallo).  

A healthy Dunn could contend for 6th man of the year in a best case scenario.

No idea why you would compare them.  Teams will tolerate health risk more from guys near the top of the rotation than they will from guys who would be in the double digits (10-15th men).

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Right.  He is a guy who was hurt worse than we expected when we signed him and we got him at a discount.  When he comes back he can be a difference maker.  

While you’ll see an article from a Portland writer who was making the case for Skal to start over Hassan Whiteside last year that is an outlier imo.  Skal isn’t that good.  He is a guy who when healthy is your 4th big in a best case at this point in his career.  (He would not threaten CC, JC or Gallo).  

A healthy Dunn could contend for 6th man of the year in a best case scenario.

No idea why you would compare them.  Teams will tolerate health risk more from guys near the top of the rotation than they will from guys who would be in the double digits (10-15th men).

That's ridiculous!!!  Dunn isn't even the 6th man on this team.  Stop that nonsense please!

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

That's ridiculous!!!  Dunn isn't even the 6th man on this team.  Stop that nonsense please!

He has literally been a starter or 6th man for his entire career until this season.  But go on comparing him to deep roster rotation players because lulz right?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

He has literally been a starter or 6th man for his entire career until this season.  But go on comparing him to deep roster rotation players because lulz right?

So when has he won this 6 man of the year award or when has he finished in the 5 in voting?  He is probably not even top 8 on the Hawks.  This is the most ridiculous overrate of a player I've seen on this MB

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So when has he won this 6 man of the year award or when has he finished in the 5 in voting?  He is probably not even top 8 on the Hawks.  This is the most ridiculous overrate of a player I've seen on this MB

His career best case is 6th man.  He is 26.  His most likely scenario is not his best case.  For this year, his most likely scenario is the backup PG spot with spot minutes at the 2.  Kind of like Goodwin has been doing lately but better.

For him to reach his best case, he would (among other things) need to develop a reliable 3 like Jason Kidd and other bad shooting pgs have done.  He hasn’t done that.  But he has been a starter or 6th man for 4 years to date.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

His career best case is 6th man.  He is 26.  His most likely scenario is not his best case.  For this year, his most likely scenario is the backup PG spot with spot minutes at the 2.  Kind of like Goodwin has been doing lately but better.

For him to reach his best case, he would (among other things) need to develop a reliable 3 like Jason Kidd and other bad shooting pgs have done.  He hasn’t done that.  But he has been a starter or 6th man for 4 years to date.

Just take the "L" on this bad take!

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Just take the "L" on this bad take!

I’m not going to apologize for my take.  It appears there may be some confusion with the terms I used (confusing expected outcome with best case) and some conflating of a deep rotation player with a guy who is much higher in the rotation and a lack of recognition of the feedback on Skal from Trailblazers fans and media.  

For his best case, imagine a Jason Kidd 40% from 3pt range combined with improvement from here (All-Defense defending multiple positions and effective scoring both at the rim and on that improved jumper):

Most players never reach their best case.

Apples and Oranges!  We know our player is injured and will recover after surgery.  What we didn't know and what we found after the signing was how bad the injury was.  Apparently, no one knew.

Reputation.  Our injured player is a bull dog on defense.  He should be available for the second half of the season.  We have no guard that has such a reputation.

Skal was a good player in Portland.  We know this only by the players that played with him, the coaches there and the fans and media who covered the team.  We believe, but don't really know, that he has some injury that hasn't healed.  Perhaps he will still join the Hawks later.  If he was a Kris Dunn player, he would be under contract right now.  He is not.  

:sun:

• Like 1