• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to the Hawks, Skal

GameTime

If we can get him on the floor he should not ever have to play more than twenty minutes at the very most so his durability may well show better moving forward. Certainly hoping so because he has the skills for the strech big.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

If we can get him on the floor he should not ever have to play more than twenty minutes at the very most so his durability may well show better moving forward. Certainly hoping so because he has the skills for the strech big.

He should spend the majority of his time at College Park, but so should the majority of the young players that have been getting heavy minutes on this team.

So to be honest I didnt know much and I just watched a few analysis vids.  Watched the player, didnt really listen to the analysis.  Slow release on his shot. Lumbering frame for such a narrow. More athletic than the eye test which almost looks lazy. Relies on hops over positioning. Clumsy footwork too passive getting position. The good...man this guy needs a good big man coach to work with him on footwork because his frame and hops are excellent. His attitude is great but his body language tells you when the play is going away from him. Good shot would be better if he would get to his spots more aggressively. Good vision and understanding of what the team is trying to accomplish. Overall a useful player. Could really use a few lessons with Oakley about aggressiveness.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I want to watch this back up PF before season's end!  He's 23 years old, 6'10" and 235 lbs.  Most of us either forget that he's a Hawk or ignore him because he's not playing right now.

Somewhere, someone said that he was nearer to playing than our center, Capela.  Vince Carter has already helped some of our young lads.  I hope he gets to work with Skal before season's end.  Maybe, I hope, Vince will be back next season as a coach.  

:sun:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

I want to watch this back up PF before season's end!  He's 23 years old, 6'10" and 235 lbs.  Most of us either forget that he's a Hawk or ignore him because he's not playing right now.

Somewhere, someone said that he was nearer to playing than our center, Capela.  Vince Carter has already helped some of our young lads.  I hope he gets to work with Skal before season's end.  Maybe, I hope, Vince will be back next season as a coach.  

I ignore him because he’s not any good.  

16 hours ago, KB21 said:

I ignore him because he’s not any good.  

Should I agree with you?  Or, should I agree with the Hawk's GM?  I can't have it both ways.  He says yes and you say no.  Is he no good?  Is he desirable?  

Guess I will just have to wait and see him on the floor, with the Hawks.  Watch him play.  See for myself whether he is any good.  See if he fits our Hawk team.

Impatiently I await his being cleared to play this season.  I want to hear from his team mates.  How they feel about his talents and if they believe the fit is there.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The advanced metrics would tell you that Skal is a decent role player when healthy.  That is why Portland fans were disappointed he got moved.  15.4 PER, .588% TS%, .121 WS/48 (balanced positive contributions on both sides of the ball), -1.3 BPM (better on D from a BPM perspective than on O) - overall suggests a nice deep bench player (i.e., not in the top 8 of your rotation).  He has potential but nobody should expect him to come in and be an immediate impact player, IMO.  He would need to significantly develop to have more than a marginal impact on Ws and Ls for next season.  At age 23 and given how raw he was coming out of college, that is fully possible but will likely take some time.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AHF said:

The advanced metrics would tell you that Skal is a decent role player when healthy.  That is why Portland fans were disappointed he got moved.  15.4 PER, .588% TS%, .121 WS/48 (balanced positive contributions on both sides of the ball), -1.3 BPM (better on D from a BPM perspective than on O) - overall suggests a nice deep bench player (i.e., not in the top 8 of your rotation).  He has potential but nobody should expect him to come in and be an immediate impact player, IMO.  He would need to significantly develop to have more than a marginal impact on Ws and Ls for next season.  At age 23 and given how raw he was coming out of college, that is fully possible but will likely take some time.  

I wouldn't mind him as a 5th big next year. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

I wouldn't mind him as a 5th big next year. 

That is the right sort of role for him. He needs more development to reach his full potential and really needs to start staying healthy.  Tough to develop when playing half a season.

• Like 2