• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Curry vs Trae Nash

JTB

22 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

He does not need to move more when he doesn't have the ball.  He is standing around ... its like the effort he makes on D.  

I wonder if during practice he is told to run hard to the corner after giving up the ball or do they practice him giving it and walking to a corner... He is playing 35 minutes a game, some of this could be pacing himself and/or fatigue.

I think all the running in GSW's offense is why no one on that team plays 35 minutes in a game. Do you think Trae will ever be second in minutes under LP to anyone? Curry averages less minutes than Klay.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I wonder if during practice he is told to run hard to the corner after giving up the ball or do they practice him giving it and walking to a corner... He is playing 35 minutes a game, some of this could be pacing himself and/or fatigue.

I think all the running in GSW's offense is why no one on that team plays 35 minutes in a game. Do you think Trae will ever be second in minutes under LP to anyone? Curry averages less minutes than Klay.

These are very valid points .

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wouldn't say TS is trying to make him a Steph clone. He just understands that there are aspects of Trae's game that has to evolve for the team to be successful. We know and understand how skilled he is WITH the ball, now lets see how he can develop without it.

To do that and be effective, we have to have another capable ball handler in the lineup with him to shift the defense. We saw what that looked like early in the year without Huerter and Collins. Teams doubled Trae at midcourt and nobody could do much offensively (granted we had 2 overwhelmed rookies).

Less about instinct, more about commitment snd understanding to do it. Trae has to buy in to develop that part of his game but there's a progression to development. He has to build his body and stamina as well.  It's like the expectation is he should just be able to do it now to perfection when that was never part of his repertoire previously. He's in his 2nd season, give the kid a chance to grow. Try and remember your 2nd year out of college. It's a Work in Progress.

From a Pierce article in January after the Teague trade:

It's a learned behaviour that actually takes time to master.

I hear you and I’m not bashing Trae...I’m bashing the concept of Trae playing off ball like curry, jj reddick, etc.

this is just my opinion but forcing the ball out of traes hands or asking him to run nonstop in the half court just isn’t who he is in my opinion even if one believes he’s capable of it .

I see trae as a new era Steve Nash. To me he’s that great of a passer but at While I agree he just can’t stand around on offense when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands , I would much rather he just makes the smart moves and cuts when they are there.

It is more crucial to have Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, and whatever other wing we have learn off ball movement over Trae. That’s not to say we don’t need another ball handler it’s just to say I don’t see trae as that type of off ball mover.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JTB said:

this is just my opinion but forcing the ball out of traes hands or asking him to run nonstop in the half court just isn’t who he is in my opinion even if one believes he’s capable of it .

The idea isn't to make him JJ Reddick like, it's more to have him available when teams double and triple team him to force him to give up the ball. Instead of just standing around, he has to make timely moves etc. to make himself available for catch and shoot opportunities.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I meant to say HE DOES NEED

I knew what you meant and responded in that manner. I question LP's practice and substitution routines more than I ever will Trae's will to win and work hard.

Most coaches practice the same way they expect their plays to be run during the game. If Trae is suppose to run to a corner or even through the paint and then to a corner like Curry does after handing the ball off in practice; I think he would do that during the game. The article even stated Kerr's style of play doubled Curry's catch and shoot attempts in his first season.

Or are we assuming Trae is not doing in game what he is coached to do in practice?

Edited by Buzzard