• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Curry vs Trae Nash

JTB

I thought it was very well written personally (shockingly it’s by a cbssports writer). Anyways read it and let’s discuss.....

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/if-trae-young-wants-to-rival-stephen-currys-shooting-he-has-to-start-approaching-it-the-same-way/

Let me give you my thoughts....

I worry sometimes that Schlenk is trying on an over the top level to make Trae a Curry like clone rather than accepting what Trae is and I know Trae is his own person, player, etc but we live in an era that always want to compare so let’s compare...with that I said from day 1 “Trae is a scoring Steve Nash” and he does not have offball defined in his star like abilities. 
now moving on I do believe Trae has the ability and somewhat the stamina to run and play off ball right now  but what he doesn’t have is great instincts to do this full time. I don’t believe Trae has figured out exactly where the gaps and holes are offball , it’s like his IQ drops offensively when he doesn’t have the bsll 

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I thought it was very well written personally (shockingly it’s by a cbssports writer). Anyways read it and let’s discuss.....

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/if-trae-young-wants-to-rival-stephen-currys-shooting-he-has-to-start-approaching-it-the-same-way/

I worry sometimes that Schlenk is trying on an over the top level to make Trae a Curry like clone rather than accepting what Trae is and I know Trae is his own person, player, etc but we live in an era that always want to compare so let’s compare...with that I said from day 1 “Trae is a scoring Steve Nash” and he does not have offball defined in his star like abilities. 
now moving on I do believe Trae has the ability and somewhat the stamina to run and play off ball right now  but what he doesn’t have is great instincts to do this full time. I don’t believe Trae has figured out exactly where the gaps and holes are offball , it’s like his IQ drops offensively when he doesn’t have the ball 

THIS

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JTB said:

now moving on I do believe Trae has the ability and somewhat the stamina to run and play off ball right now  but what he doesn’t have is great instincts to do this full time. I don’t believe Trae has figured out exactly where the gaps and holes are offball , it’s like his IQ drops offensively when he doesn’t have the bsll 

This is what practice is for.  Most players aren't complete at 21 and this ain't rocket science.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JTB said:

I wouldn't say TS is trying to make him a Steph clone. He just understands that there are aspects of Trae's game that has to evolve for the team to be successful. We know and understand how skilled he is WITH the ball, now lets see how he can develop without it.

To do that and be effective, we have to have another capable ball handler in the lineup with him to shift the defense. We saw what that looked like early in the year without Huerter and Collins. Teams doubled Trae at midcourt and nobody could do much offensively (granted we had 2 overwhelmed rookies).

Less about instinct, more about commitment snd understanding to do it. Trae has to buy in to develop that part of his game but there's a progression to development. He has to build his body and stamina as well.  It's like the expectation is he should just be able to do it now to perfection when that was never part of his repertoire previously. He's in his 2nd season, give the kid a chance to grow. Try and remember your 2nd year out of college. It's a Work in Progress.

From a Pierce article in January after the Teague trade:

Pierce's thoughts on playing Trae off ball:

Plus, while the Hawks have said they’d like for Young to develop his off-ball skills, he hasn’t shown he’s someone who can constantly run off screens and come off of pin-downs just yet.

“Just because Jeff is here, you don’t just run Trae around,” Pierce said. “I think from a decoy standpoint or second-side action, John (Collins) can run it and come off of pick-and-rolls and kick it to Trae, who is a wide-open shooter or he’s attacking a guy who is running out on him. It’s just a different feel, so you move him off the ball because you have that advantage and not just move him off the ball and run him around and try to find ways to get him in pin-downs like Steph (Curry) or Dame (Lillard).

“That requires skill and still takes a lot of time. Once you buy in to playing and moving that way — JJ Redick and Joe Harris — that’s a skill. Trae has a skill with the ball. Those guys have a skill without the basketball, and it’s not get him off the ball, and he’s all of a sudden that. That’s a lot of commitment to movement and understanding you’re going to get the reward on the back end.”

It's a learned behaviour that actually takes time to master.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I wouldn't say TS is trying to make him a Steph clone.

Yah, I don't really perceive that TS is imposing his will on the player development piece... that's something that has been left exclusively to the head coach and his staff.

8 hours ago, JTB said:

I don’t believe Trae has figured out exactly where the gaps and holes are offball , it’s like his IQ drops offensively when he doesn’t have the bsll 

Maybe. I can see that. Then again, that also could be a matter of just playing to strengths, and not only for Trae, but for the other 4 on the court with him. Also, we have capable but not good passers among our post players. I'm not a fan of signing Harrell, but if we did, I'd be inclined to think among the outcomes from that would be more spot-up game from Trae.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, sturt said:

Maybe. I can see that. Then again, that also could be a matter of just playing to strengths, and not only for Trae, but for the other 4 on the court with him.

Didn't Trae play with Lin during his 1st season and Teague his 2nd year along with other willing passers?  Nah it ain't the rest of the team.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't Trae play with Lin during his 1st season and Teague his 2nd year along with other willing passers?  Nah it ain't the rest of the team.

You'd have to give me something better than that.

As far as I recall, Trae still was left as the first ball handler, and rather, it was Lin and Teague who were the off-ball guards.

And at that, let's be honest... how sane is it to have any two of those three on the floor for any length of time given their defensive warts?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

You'd have to give me something better than that.

As far as I recall, Trae still was left as the first ball handler, and rather, it was Lin and Teague who were the off-ball guards.

And at that, let's be honest... how sane is it to have any two of those three on the floor for any length of time given their defensive warts?

This guy thought it was a good idea!

th?id=OIP.gK30Ppu8PFtDY8Y7ZlpphgHaD4&pid

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Have to agree, that does seem to be the best you can do.

You seem to be always looking for a fight.  Why is that?  I'm trying to figure how to get this team to play better.  I don't know what your motivations are here.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

How many minutes did Trae play with Lin? (I haven't checked) You may have forgotten that Lin was hurt to start camp that's why Trae started as a rookie.

Trae played with Bazemore (until Huerter took his spot) and Prince his 1st season.

Jeff has played 25 games as a Hawk, 20 or so with Trae available, and he played mostly off guard.

Just because a player is a willing passer, doesn't mean he's adept at running the offense and making the right read. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How many minutes did Trae play with Lin? (I haven't checked) You may have forgotten that Lin was hurt to start camp that's why Trae started as a rookie.

Lin averaged 19 minutes per game in 51 contest.  Don't know how many minutes they played together but certainly there was som over lap.

This guy is preaching to the choir about LPs offense but he is blaming it on Trae.

Its not disciplined, its not orchestrated, and it is certainly not flexible. Trae played 35.3 MP this season. Curry has not hit figure since 2013/14. Steve Kerr took over after that season and started limiting Curry's minutes to 32 - 33 for most of GSWs Playoff Seasons. He also instituted a new offense that was not so reliant on the pick and roll.

Kerr changed how the Warriors played offense. Lets see if LP can do that for the Hawks.

Edited by Buzzard