• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dewayne Dedmon traded to Detroit for Snell and Thomas

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I hate to see Dedmon go.  He contributes to the team in more ways than one.  We lost this trade imo.  

I do see Dedmon as a casualty of drafting OO.  Only reason to keep him is if Capela's health is up in the air to start the season and that doesn't seem to be the case.  Otherwise, you've too many centers with Capela, OO, Bruno and spot minutes from JC before even factoring in minutes for Dedmon.  

That is a positive development for this roster that we've gone from a complete hole last season to an abundance of options for those 48 minutes.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do see Dedmon as a casualty of drafting OO.  Only reason to keep him is if Capela's health is up in the air to start the season and that doesn't seem to be the case.  Otherwise, you've too many centers with Capela, OO, Bruno and spot minutes from JC before even factoring in minutes for Dedmon.  

That is a positive development for this roster that we've gone from a complete hole last season to an abundance of options for those 48 minutes.

You think Snell will see the floor especially if we sign another wing?  IF not  What the difference?  Why does Dedmon have to be in the rotation to be on the team and Snell does not.  Me personally, I rather have competent back up centers any day of the week over a marginal wing player anyway.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

By all accounts Dedmon was a great locker room guy but Snell brings 3 point shooting off the bench that we desperately needed.  

More importantly, defense. 

But I get where @Vol4ever is coming from. I've enjoyed Dedmon's stints in Atlanta, especially  the long distance calling and he was a good vet for the kids. Now that we have Capella, Gwu, Bruno, Skal, and Collins; there's just not much room for him.

Overall, I feel like the trade is a wash. Just moves some pieces around to better balance the roster. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You think Snell will see the floor especially if we sign another wing?  IF not  What the difference?  Why does Dedmon have to be in the rotation to be on the team and Snell does not.  Me personally, I rather have competent back up centers any day of the week over a marginal wing player anyway.

"Competent backup" is fairly synonymous with "marginal player", don't ya think?

• Premium Member
Just now, warcore said:

"Competent backup" is fairly synonymous with "marginal player", don't ya think?

No not really...Carmelo ratings make a distinction between marginal player and rotational player.  Dedmon is definitely classified as a rotational player while Snell is not.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Yes.  There are 96 minutes to fill the wing positions and 48 minutes for the center position.  You should have at least twice as many wings as you have dedicated centers.  Capela, OO and Dedmon don't look to play any minutes at PF (at least to start his career for OO).  Bruno seems the most versatile of the bunch and he is still a tough fit at PF.  So I think additional depth is more valuable for a wing than for another center.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You'd rather bring back Bembry? :ninja:

That's how I see his role somewhat. But unlike Bembry, he can shoot.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, warcore said:

More importantly, defense. 

But I get where @Vol4ever is coming from. I've enjoyed Dedmon's stints in Atlanta, especially  the long distance calling and he was a good vet for the kids. Now that we have Capella, Gwu, Bruno, Skal, and Collins; there's just not much room for him.

Overall, I feel like the trade is a wash. Just moves some pieces around to better balance the roster. 

And, don't forget, Hawks have Nathan Knight.  He's another Hawk center - 6'10' and 245 lbs.

:hi:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

I think we're over rating Dedmon and I like the guy.  He was pretty terrible last season for the Kings and us.   Snell started more than half his NBA games.  Most of those in his seasons with the Bucks.   He averaged 28 minutes a game last year.   It's not like he's a garbage time player. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/19/2020 at 3:45 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Just looked up Snell.

Shot 40.3% from 3 last season on 4 attempts per game. Also was 100% from the freethrow line. I'll leave you guys to figure out the number of attempts 😁😁😁

When the Hawks traded Dewayne Dedmon to Detroit for Tony Snell and Khyri Thomas (who was later waived), Snell’s agent, Austin Brown, asked general manager Travis Schlenk if there was going to be an opportunity for his client to receive meaningful playing time for this team. Before the season began, it seemed like a long shot that Snell would be a firm piece in the rotation just because of how deep this roster was on paper. De’Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Kevin Huerter and Kris Dunn were likely going to be ahead of him on the pecking order to receive minutes in the backcourt. But with lengthy injuries to Hunter, Reddish, Bogdanovic and Dunn, Snell got the opportunity he was looking for.

“You got to give him a ton of credit,” Schlenk said last week. “He stayed ready. “He’s done everything and more that we could ask him to do. He defends. He makes shots. He doesn’t make mistakes. I think he’s earned the right to maintain some sort of role on this team with the way he’s played.”

Just a few weeks ago, a source close to the team sent me a text with a question I did not foresee coming before the start of the season and one that did make me think: “Where would this team be without Snell?”

Snell’s numbers will never pop on the box score, but his impact seems to always be felt on both ends of the floor. Even after the free-agent spending spree, this has been a team that’s mostly been the same group as last season because of all the injuries the Hawks have dealt with. They’ve needed an adult on the court, and that’s what Snell has been.

“He does the little things that a lot of times you don’t see on the stat sheets,” Danilo Gallinari said. “He does all of the little things that are required to win the game. That’s why he’s been playing great for us.”

On 11/20/2020 at 11:32 AM, Vol4ever said:

I hate to see Dedmon go.  He contributes to the team in more ways than one.  We lost this trade imo.  

Still think we lost the trade?

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

More:

Snell isn’t coming close to filling the production the Hawks are missing with Hunter, but he’s been a more-than-capable replacement, and an argument can be made that he’s played better than Reddish and should be playing over him when Reddish returns from his right Achilles soreness injury.......Snell’s play over the past few months, though, warrants him having a spot on this team as it makes a push for the playoffs in the second half of the season. 

“I just call him a pro,” McMillan said. “He comes in and doesn’t talk much. When he has something to say, he’ll say it, but he comes in and gets his work. You never have to worry about him. He comes in every single day and has his same routine. 

“He’s pretty quiet with us, but he talks a lot on the court,” Gallinari said. “That’s all that matters when you’re on the court. You know that Tony is there, and he makes sure that you listen to him. He’s a great pro.....“Very few words but always the right words,” Young said of Snell’s demeanor. “He’s always a positive person, always has a smile on his face. He’s just the true definition of a pro. He comes in, gets his work in and is always on time. He doesn’t say too much but always speaks in the right moments and always gives us good knowledge when he sees it. It’s good having a vet like him on our team.”

He’s also a fascinating guy, who still owns a BlackBerry and an old version of an iPad, even though he’s made millions of dollars. :laugh1:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Late to the discussion.   Snell!!!!   Love that guy.   I could go dig my old posts saying he was a good acquisition for us but I'm too humble for that. 

Let me help you with that 😁.  Look below:

On 11/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, macdaddy said:

This is just a start.   As others have said Snell is better than Bembry.  We're upgrading the whole bench not just 7 and 8.  

On 11/19/2020 at 4:06 PM, macdaddy said:

Snell shot 40% and had a 102 made 3s last season.  That would have been 4th on the Hawks behind Tray, Heurter, Hunter in made 3s and 1st on the team in % just ahead of Collins.  

On 11/20/2020 at 12:00 PM, macdaddy said:

By all accounts Dedmon was a great locker room guy but Snell brings 3 point shooting off the bench that we desperately needed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

By making his 37th 3 in our 37th team game played last night, Snell finally qualifies on the league 3PT% leaderboard.

He sits 1st in 3Pt% at .569, with Joe Harris 2nd at .500.

Korver holds our single season franchise 3PT% record at .492 (2014-15), from our famous 60-win year.

• Like 4