• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Two things I don't want to see this season....

Diesel

• Premium Member

I encourage you to have your own list:

1.  Gallo playing primarily at the 3.

2.  Trae playing the 2 in a small ball lineup. 

Trae is not Jason Terry.   He's better than that.  And that's really saying a lot.   However, just because we have Rondo and we have Dunn doesn't mean that this is time to play Trae as a two for periods of time.  IMO that leads to injuries. 

Gallo playing primarily at the 3.. especially if we do get Bogo means that we will be underdeveloping Hunter and Cam. 

My number 3 is that we trade Hunter or Cam. 

Just now, Diesel said:

Trae is not Jason Terry.   He's better than that.  And that's really saying a lot.   However, just because we have Rondo and we have Dunn doesn't mean that this is time to play Trae as a two for periods of time.  IMO that leads to injuries. 

Gallo playing primarily at the 3.. especially if we do get Bogo means that we will be underdeveloping Hunter and Cam. 

Also.. I don't think that Gallo has the footspeed to defend the 3. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I don't think any of those scenarios will happen. Gallo might get spot minutes in lineups where he, Collins, and Gwu/Capela are on the floor though.

I'm seeing a lot of predictions that Gallo will start at the 3 and we will have a lineup of:

Trae, Huerter, Gallo, Collins, Cap

I honestly don't think that Gallo can guard a 3 anymore... unless he has lost some weight.

I've also seen as it applies to us getting Bogo and we're not getting Bogo...

Rondo, Trae, Bogo, Gallo, Collins.

as being our small ball unit.

Diesel, I agree with 1 and 2, but not with 3. There is no need to trade Cam or Reddish. If we get Bogo, I believe Cam and Hunter will be the primary Small Forwards. I would love to see Gallinari at Center, Power Forward, and Small Forward. I know he would struggle at Center against certain players but I would love to see him being guarded by a center on the perimeter. They would be at his mercy on offense. Gallinari might play just as much 5 as he does 3. He will be the best sixth man in the NBA.

7 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'm seeing a lot of predictions that Gallo will start at the 3 and we will have a lineup of:

I honestly don't think that Gallo can guard a 3 anymore... unless he has lost some weight.

Huerter over bogi or cam . Get outta here lol

7 minutes ago, TRW said:

Diesel, I agree with 1 and 2, but not with 3. There is no need to trade Cam or Reddish. If we get Bogo, I believe Cam and Hunter will be the primary Small Forwards. I would love to see Gallinari at Center, Power Forward, and Small Forward. I know he would struggle at Center against certain players but I would love to see him being guarded by a center on the perimeter. They would be at his mercy on offense. Gallinari might play just as much 5 as he does 3. He will be the best sixth man in the NBA.

Cam or reddish, who?

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

That first starting lineup you posted would be one of the worst defensive lineups in the league. You need one of Hunter or Reddish on the wings at all times to help slow down the opposing team's perimeter attack.  

And you're right, Gallo cannot be expected to play 20+ minutes a night at the 3 position. Offensively he's a 3, but defensively he's drastically better at the 4 (and that's not really saying much), as he won't be required to chase wings on the perimeter, as well as keep up with some of the more athletic slashers at the 3. 

All in all, I trust Pierce to recognize this, and best utilize Gallo in lineups that play to his strengths.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, TRW said:

My #3 was the 3rd thing that I don't want to see. I want to see Cam and Hunter develop with us.    I would play either one before Huerter to be honest.  After 1:00 PM, I will be able to speak appropriately about lineup.. but I don't want Gallo sucking up all the minutes at 3. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, hawkzlova123 said:

This maybe unpopular but i dont want to see gallo start. 

2nd) i agree with ur 2nd point

With Capela and Collins starting and Gallo not playing the 3, the bench would be the only place for him.... but Gallo will be starting at the 3 for at least the beginning of the season.

C - Capela

PF - Collins

SF - Gallinari

SG - BoBo (pending)/Huerter if Sac matches

PG - Young

Bringing back Hawks International from the Ferry days. lol

8 hours ago, Diesel said:

Also.. I don't think that Gallo has the footspeed to defend the 3. 

Just to tick you off, LP will close games with this lineup.

Rondo - Trae - Bogon - Gallo - Collins

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Can we please stop with this notion of Gallo playing SF?  It’s complete fantasy to think that will result in anything positive. He’ll get torched at will and probably hurt himself instantly. If there’s a player that needs to be used cautiously and very specifically, it’s Dalino Gallinari. We don’t need to see our $20 million talented scorer riding the bench because he’s tweeked something trying to guard small forwards. Let’s end this now for god’s sake!!

Edited by Eddielives

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

That first starting lineup you posted would be one of the worst defensive lineups in the league. You need one of Hunter or Reddish on the wings at all times to help slow down the opposing team's perimeter attack.  

And you're right, Gallo cannot be expected to play 20+ minutes a night at the 3 position. Offensively he's a 3, but defensively he's drastically better at the 4 (and that's not really saying much), as he won't be required to chase wings on the perimeter, as well as keep up with some of the more athletic slashers at the 3. 

All in all, I trust Pierce to recognize this, and best utilize Gallo in lineups that play to his strengths.

You're right, Gallo can't defend 3, but can play there offensively. I could see a lineup that played Gallo and Hunter at the 3/4. On offence, Gallo (3) and Hunter (4), and on defense, Hunter (3) and Gallo (4).  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Time to throw in some Zone defense as needed.

If Lloyd Pierce doesn't have a defensive set that includes a zone... Something is wrong with him.   Keep it simple.... 2-3.  Miami style...