• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ready to see Trae's Nash Comparison?

sillent

I was thinking about this as soon as our team was constructed but I'll say it now while it still looks iffy (based on turnovers/chemistry)...

Trae will/should average 15 assist this yr. 

I can see a 20+pt 15asst average 

He has been waiting to shed the Steph Curry comparisons and this is the yr to do so (hence the trying extra hard to dish out as many passes as possible preseason).

Once he gets his rhythm and figures out the team I can see him having atleast 1 30assists night and a nice amount of 20asst night. We haven't quite seen that being done often since J Kidd and Steve Nash but I think Trae is going to try and bring that back and he's going to start this yr. 

If he doesn't atleast average 12 or more I may be disappointed depending on how we run our offense. (If we keep him off the ball of course that dynamic may change).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, sillent said:

I was thinking about this as soon as our team was constructed but I'll say it now while it still looks iffy (based on turnovers/chemistry)...

Trae will/should average 15 assist this yr. 

I can see a 20+pt 15asst average 

He has been waiting to shed the Steph Curry comparisons and this is the yr to do so (hence the trying extra hard to dish out as many passes as possible preseason).

Once he gets his rhythm and figures out the team I can see him having atleast 1 30assists night and a nice amount of 20asst night. We haven't quite seen that being done often since J Kidd and Steve Nash but I think Trae is going to try and bring that back and he's going to start this yr. 

If he doesn't atleast average 12 or more I may be disappointed depending on how we run our offense. (If we keep him off the ball of course that dynamic may change).

20/30+ assists nights seem near impossible in todays NBA.  You need to be making the extra passes to find the open man.  I could definitely see Trae having 20/30+ nights if you count hocket assists.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

20/30+ assists nights seem near impossible in todays NBA.  You need to be making the extra passes to find the open man.  I could definitely see Trae having 20/30+ nights if you count hocket assists.

Averaging 12 isn't crazy....There were easily 3 missed assists a night last year based on stone hands on the interior, missed shots on the outside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, thecampster said:

Averaging 12 isn't crazy....There were easily 3 missed assists a night last year based on stone hands on the interior, missed shots on the outside.

Yeah, I agree with that 100%.  30 assist night is asinine though and I doubt he even has a 20 assist night.  I'll probably be mad if he does because that's not the type of offense I want us to run.  Trae's usage was the highest in the league last year... that shouldn't be the case with the talent added this offseason.

With today's Hawk shooters, getting them involved early should make more assists not only probable but likely.  Too much double teams last season will be more costly this season for our opponents.

:sun:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, I agree with that 100%.  30 assist night is asinine though and I doubt he even has a 20 assist night.  I'll probably be mad if he does because that's not the type of offense I want us to run.  Trae's usage was the highest in the league last year... that shouldn't be the case with the talent added this offseason.

January 30 vs Philly. 39 points, 18 assists.  Taking 4 less shots and dishing out 2 more dimes is in reason with the new crew. He had 15 or more assists 6 times last season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

January 30 vs Philly. 39 points, 18 assists.  Taking 4 less shots and dishing out 2 more dimes is in reason with the new crew. He had 15 or more assists 6 times last season.

Again, 40% usage that game and one of the highest usage rates in the NBA last year (he was about the same as Harden).  Trae was the only person on the team who could dribble last year.  There's no way we will see Trae's usage anywhere close to 40% this upcoming year.  Bogi can bring the ball down court, Heurter showing he can do it, Rondo, Dunn, possibly Cam, even Gallo has done it...Collins been working on his handles... I suspect (hope) Trae will help out a lot more with non-stat counting things like his gravity/on and off ball screens/off-ball movement/etc.  instead of racking up assists.

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

You couldn't throw anything below the waist to Len or Dedmon....You couldn't throw anything but lobs to Jones. Bruno wasn't terrible catching the ball....unless it was a rebound.

Yeah I saw Len blow a layup for Toronto the other night, and I couldn't stop laughing..

• Haha 1

He will have much better shooting around him, but he's also not going to have the ball as much. I'm expecting 10 to 11. When our offense was humming the other night we saw assists coming from everyone. Even Collins had 4 which matched his high from last season.

My favorite play was when Gallo got an offensive rebound and kicked it out to Huerter who immediately whipped it over to Bogi for the corner 3. It was beautiful. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Unless I'm reading the numbers wrong and overlooking someone, I don't think anyone in NBA history has averaged 15 apg.

Only one player in history has averaged 14+ apg in a season and it has only happened in two NBA seasons.

There are only 8 seasons of a player averaging 13+ apg in a season (Magic's career high of 13.06 barely squeaks past that mark).

Only 5 players in NBA history have averaged 12+ apg.

12+ seems more realistic to me but 5 players and 17 seasons isn't exactly a common occurrence.  

I'm a big believer in Trae and his special passing was the first thing he proved as an NBA but let's not start putting too much on his shoulders.  Trae has better teammates but won't be able to dominate the ball to the same extent this season.  

I'll be happy to see 25 and 10 or something with equal or better scoring efficiency and improved A/TO ratio especially if that comes with materially better defense.

Thanks for the info and input. Let's not forget though Trae has been breaking records since he's come into the league. It's very possible he'd be the one to do it. His personal competition with LaMelo alone could push him over the edge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Unless I'm reading the numbers wrong and overlooking someone, I don't think anyone in NBA history has averaged 15 apg.

Only one player in history has averaged 14+ apg in a season and it has only happened in two NBA seasons.

There are only 8 seasons of a player averaging 13+ apg in a season (Magic's career high of 13.06 barely squeaks past that mark).

Only 5 players in NBA history have averaged 12+ apg.

12+ seems more realistic to me but 5 players and 17 seasons isn't exactly a common occurrence.  

I'm a big believer in Trae and his special passing was the first thing he proved as an NBA but let's not start putting too much on his shoulders.  Trae has better teammates but won't be able to dominate the ball to the same extent this season.  

I'll be happy to see 25 and 10 or something with equal or better scoring efficiency and improved A/TO ratio especially if that comes with materially better defense.

All about efficiency for me.  With the way Trae gets to the line, there's no reason he can't average 28-30 pts on 17-18 shots imo.  He just needs to increase his efficiency a little and control his shot selection. I break it down like this:

Shot Distribution

FTs - 10 attempts per game at 90% = 9.0 pts

2pt - 9 att/gm at 55% = 4.95 makes or 9.9 pts

3pt - 9 att/gm at 40% = 3.6 makes or 10.8 pts

Total - 8.55 fgm on18 fga or 47.5% overall = 29.7 pts

As for assists, with the higher caliber players around the rim and on the perimeter, I don't see why he can't increase his assists by 3-4 per night, even with a lower usage.  That would put him around 12-13 per night.  So for me, I think 30 / 13 is doable (aggressive but doable) even with a lower usage and within the confines of the offense IF he can be more efficient with his shot selection.  

• Like 2

I think his scoring will certainly come down just from the standpoint of we will have Dunn and Rondo CLOSING games whereas Trae would have previously still been in the game trying to dig back in (unseccuessfully). His minutes should also be reduced given the unique scheduling this season. 

14 hours ago, High5 said:

He will have much better shooting around him, but he's also not going to have the ball as much. I'm expecting 10 to 11. When our offense was humming the other night we saw assists coming from everyone. Even Collins had 4 which matched his high from last season.

My favorite play was when Gallo got an offensive rebound and kicked it out to Huerter who immediately whipped it over to Bogi for the corner 3. It was beautiful. 

My first impressions of Gallo as a Hawks have been very high. I expected him to be good for us, but some of the things he's done have set a whole team tone. I didn't realize what a good leader he was. Between his leadership, Rondo and Dunn (I wish we had chat back, there will be a Dunn effort cheering section on here), I believe those leadership/effort additions will be greater than the sum of the parts. Dunn is a player that gives a damn...he gives a mighty damn and IMHO, he is the type of player down the road teams will want to add for their championship runs. That guy hates losing, wears it on his sleeve and will shout out when people aren't giving defensive effort. More importantly, he gives defensive effort on every play. I'll kiss KG on the mouth, no mask if this doesn't bear out to be true.