• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hunter to undergo Meniscus Surgery

Jody23

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

This is a six to eight week type deal, maybe longer. He wont be back until April.

This guy said a month max..So yeah probably 6 weeks with this staff...

Edited by terrell

22 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

You know things work for the Hawks. He wont be back in a month.

I wonder what our record will be when he and Bogi comes back.....Thats basically 2 starters out... This sucks...

Edited by terrell

I think it is time to buy truck loads of white sage and perform a mass spiritual cleansing through out the Atlanta Metro Area.. 

The luck the city has sports wise is almost supernatural and downright scary at times.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, IheartVolt said:

I think it is time to buy truck loads of white sage and perform a mass spiritual cleansing through out the Atlanta Metro Area.. 

The luck the city has sports wise is almost supernatural and downright scary at times.

Absolutely.  At this point, we're playing the part of the wayward camp counselors tellin' all the kids everything's ok even though the Friday the 13th, Jason music is playing in the background.

We keep runnin' full speed but that mfer catches us with his casual stroll carrying a hatchet.

All that said, I'm not sure which scares me most.  Jason, Atlanta sports curses, or your outdated screen name.  You 💗 volt?  C'mon, man!  We've had like 6 new jerseys since the volts already.

:Bob: "His screen name's ... revolting, Stinger."

😄  I'm kidding.  I guess you can still love volt even though we're not wearing it anymore.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

Absolutely.  At this point, we're playing the part of the wayward camp counselors tellin' all the kids everything's ok even though the Friday the 13th, Jason music is playing in the background.

We keep runnin' full speed but that mfer catches us with his casual stroll carrying a hatchet.

All that said, I'm not sure which scares me most.  Jason, Atlanta sports curses, or your outdated screen name.  You 💗 volt?  C'mon, man!  We've had like 6 new jerseys since the volts already.

:Bob: "His screen name's ... revolting, Stinger."

😄  I'm kidding.  I guess you can still love volt even though we're not wearing it anymore.

I am tired of changing screen names.. Get used to the bright puke green gracing this forum

• Haha 4

• Premium Member

Jimmy Butler had meniscus surgery 2 years ago and was out exactly 6 weeks - Surgery was Feb 25th, he played his 1st game back April 27th and was limited to 20 minutes. All these players are different so no telling how long it will take Hunter.

Hunter's surgery is today February 8th, 6 weeks from now is March 22nd which will be about 11 days into the 2nd half of our schedule,  The Allstar break is March 5th to 10th. 

He will miss the next 13 games of the 1st half schedule plus at least another 5-7 into the 2nd half.  So I would say he will miss the next 20 games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

33 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

I am tired of changing screen names.. Get used to the bright puke green gracing this forum

I don't blame you.  I won't change mine until I get banned in disgrace.  Then I'm gonna come back as "SnidelyWhiplash" or "ShaggyRogers" since nobody remembers he actually has a last name. 😏

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, terrell said:

This is a HUGE blow....:sad:..Why the F did they wait so long for this?? smh

17 hours ago, terrell said:

Yeah I know, but Why not just go ahead and have the surgery since it was so early in the season?  Nonsurgical route is just a band-aid....So disappointing...We lost 8 days of healing time..lol....Oh well...Get well De'Andre....

More info from a Doctor:

On Jan. 30, Hunter went through a non-surgical procedure, which Chona believes was a PRP injection. The reason why the Hawks did the non-surgical procedure at first instead of an invasive surgery was that there is no downside to a PRP injection. If Hunter’s knee responded favorably to the presumed injection, he and the Hawks could have held off on surgery during the season.

Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce said Hunter had been shooting during the past week with Bogdan Bogdanovic, who has been out for four weeks with an avulsion fracture in his knee. Pierce said Hunter hadn’t done any practicing other than light on-court work. Chona believes Hunter likely experienced some pain and intermittent swelling, which is the reason why the training staff decided now would be the best time for surgery to repair his meniscus.

https://theathletic.com/2374633/2021/02/08/atlanta-hawks-deandre-hunter-injury/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The one caveat to returning within that six-week time period is the possibility of the Hawks and Hunter deciding to repair his meniscus instead of cutting the torn piece out and letting it heal on its own. If in two weeks, the Hawks announce Hunter will miss three to four months, that reporting will tell us the team decided to repair the meniscus with stitches instead of doing the debridement. The Oklahoma City Thunder and Russell Westbrook decided years ago to repair his meniscus, taking the long-term approach, instead of removing the torn piece in his knee.

“Although they are reporting it as a debridement, which is cutting out that piece, if they are able to repair it, which in young people they always will try to repair the tear, then you’re looking at a much longer recovery timeline, but it’s a bit better outcome for a long-term prognosis,” Chona said. “That’s one thing to keep in mind. If they do announce after this surgery that he’s going to be out for a few months, don’t necessarily be surprised by that, and rather than thinking there being a complication, he just had a slightly different procedure done. That would actually be good news for him. The recovery timeline will tell us what was done. Based on what they reported, though, it is likely just going to be a few weeks and bouncing right back to where he was.”

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The one caveat to returning within that six-week time period is the possibility of the Hawks and Hunter deciding to repair his meniscus instead of cutting the torn piece out and letting it heal on its own. If in two weeks, the Hawks announce Hunter will miss three to four months, that reporting will tell us the team decided to repair the meniscus with stitches instead of doing the debridement. The Oklahoma City Thunder and Russell Westbrook decided years ago to repair his meniscus, taking the long-term approach, instead of removing the torn piece in his knee.

“Although they are reporting it as a debridement, which is cutting out that piece, if they are able to repair it, which in young people they always will try to repair the tear, then you’re looking at a much longer recovery timeline, but it’s a bit better outcome for a long-term prognosis,” Chona said. “That’s one thing to keep in mind. If they do announce after this surgery that he’s going to be out for a few months, don’t necessarily be surprised by that, and rather than thinking there being a complication, he just had a slightly different procedure done. That would actually be good news for him. The recovery timeline will tell us what was done. Based on what they reported, though, it is likely just going to be a few weeks and bouncing right back to where he was.”

Dang...After reading this, we Might as well sit him for the year. No need to rush our future  Kawhi back....Its not like we're winning a ring this season..Next year is our year to make some noise in the East. PLayers will be more familiar with each other...And we're gonna need a fully healthy De'Andre..Knees are scary..............Just damn!!!!

Edited by terrell
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, terrell said:

Dang...After reading this, we Might as well sit him for the year. No need to rush our future  Kawhi back....Its not like we're winning a ring this season..Next year is our year to make some noise in the East. PLayers will be more familiar with each other...And we're gonna need a fully healthy De'Andre..Knees are scary..............Just damn!!!!

Repair vs remove will determine how long he is out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, terrell said:

Well they already said they were going to do the debridement today. So I doubt they change course after making that anouncement unless the surgeon doesn't like the look of his miniscus during the scope.

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Well they already said they were going to do the debridement today. So I doubt they change course after making that anouncement unless the surgeon doesn't like the look of his miniscus during the scope.

Yeah things could change after the scope..

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

I trust this medical staff. If they are going with the debridement it's probably a very small tear. 

I'd rather they repair it and let Hunter sit out a few months than try to get him back for a playoff push were we don't have Championship aspirations. 

He's a long term asset, so suffer in the short term to get him 100% healed.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'd rather they repair it and let Hunter sit out a few months than try to get him back for a playoff push were we don't have Championship aspirations. 

He's a long term asset, so suffer in the short term to get him 100% healed.

From what I understand, if the tear is too big, it's a repair, a smaller tear can be removed. Either way I'm ok with a cautious approach for the long term.

Ialways  remember when Tim Duncan had a Meniscus tear in year 3 and the Spurs didn't force him back for the playoffs - you take care of your long term assests.

• Like 3