• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Blurb from Kirschner on Hawks potential coaching search

KB21

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Kevin love makes $16 mil per year and is done.  Is he even starting anymore?  How do you match salaries?  Kevin will be out of the league next year so what do you do at power forward in this scenario.  Are we trying to win or just keep the payroll low?

I'm not doing an analysist on all the trades I listed as they are not my ideas.  None of the players match JC's productivity but if the Hawks aren't willing to keep him, I would hope they get REAL value back.

By the way Love is making $30 million per.

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not doing an analysist on all the trades I listed as they are not my ideas.  None of the players match JC's productivity but if the Hawks aren't willing to keep him, I would hope they get REAL value back.

That's my point...There ain't no value out there for John and that is why if Schlenk makes this happen, I'll make a thread about his incompetence!

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If it's about money:

1. Markkenen's RFA contract offer from the Bulls was less that the Hawks offer to JC.  Markkenen's ask was also less tht was the Hawks offered JC.  He was looking for $18 million per.

2. John isn't a great defensive player either but you can see his improvement playing next to Capela, tht will help most players.

Player comparison stats:

Career:

Player Comparison: John Collins vs. Lauri Markkanen | Stathead.com

This Season:

Player Comparison: Lauri Markkanen vs. John Collins | Stathead.com

Ort for one is 121 and the other is 108 and there is no difference. The question continues to be whether franchise is trying to when or not.  Your argument suggest not if it all about a few millions.  Plus if it were about the money then why overpay for players like Gallo and BB?

33 minutes ago, sturt said:

Old enough to remember this...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19430356/atlanta-hawks-interview-chauncey-billups-gm-job

2021-03-11_13-00-42

Billups would have to be the odd-on favorite if McMillan's run doesn't go well. But I think it will.

It's says general manager, not head coach. If Ressler replaces TS with Billups, I'm done. 

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, sturt said:

Old enough to remember this...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19430356/atlanta-hawks-interview-chauncey-billups-gm-job

2021-03-11_13-00-42

Billups would have to be the odd-on favorite if McMillan's run doesn't go well. But I think it will.

Annnnnd....

Old enough to remember this too.

The point being... there are relationships b/t key residents of State Farm Arena and Billups already that plausibly may have left both sides thinking they'd enjoy working together some day.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

If not John then who since we are in speculation mode?

Who to trade?  The only trades I think are realistic would be something like trading Snell for a back up center.  But I don't have anything in mind.  And honestly, as good as Snell has been, I'm not sure TS would trade him given the wing injuries.  I suppose I could see a scenario where they trade Kevin but they'd almost have to get back another young player. Not sure I see the point in that.  

I'd love for Travis to come up with a way to acquire some depth at the Center position without giving up any rotation piece, but I honestly don't see it.  At this point, my honest opinion is that they stick with what they have and see how much better they get just by getting healthy.  And I don't really see anything wrong with that either.  

31 minutes ago, sturt said:

Annnnnd....

Old enough to remember this too.

The point being... there are relationships b/t key residents of State Farm Arena and Billups already that plausibly may have left both sides thinking they'd enjoy working together some day.

This is a very good point.  Chauncey and Grant Hill were teammates at one time.  Grant is part of the ownership group.  

Edited by KB21

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

So lets take this one at a time.  If the hawks trade for Markkenan and i don't know why the Bulls would add a 1st in the deal.  Isn't Markkenen a restricted free agent also?  And how does he help the team win now.  He is a poor defensive player and poor rebounder with a career BPM of -.2.

I think you answered your own question.

i don't know why the Bulls would add a 1st in the deal

Why:

He [Markkanen] is a poor defensive player and poor rebounder with a career BPM of -.2.

That said, I think TS would be foolish to trade JC or let him walk.  Match whatever he gets in FA and trade him later if you are so inclined but first give him the chance to earn that money because it is hard to see the Hawks getting even $.80 on the dollar if they deal him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Who to trade?  The only trades I think are realistic would be something like trading Snell for a back up center.  But I don't have anything in mind.  And honestly, as good as Snell has been, I'm not sure TS would trade him given the wing injuries.  I suppose I could see a scenario where they trade Kevin but they'd almost have to get back another young player. Not sure I see the point in that.  

I'd love for Travis to come up with a way to acquire some depth at the Center position without giving up any rotation piece, but I honestly don't see it.  At this point, my honest opinion is that they stick with what they have and see how much better they get just by getting healthy.  And I don't really see anything wrong with that either.  

The question was if Schlenk doesn't want John at power forward then who would be better.

17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The question was if Schlenk doesn't want John at power forward then who would be better.

There's no one on the team currently that can replace JC.  I'd personally keep him.  But if TS doesn't think he's a fit long term, he'd have to figure that out down the road.  I'm just saying it doesn't make sense to trade him now even if he trades him eventually.  Trading JC now makes them worse in the short term (barring a blockbuster trade that seems unlikely) which goes against their stated goals for the season.  

Supes mentioned trading JC for Porter Jr from Denver.  I wouldn't hate that trade but I'd rather just keep JC.  I think he's developed into a more dynamic player than just a rim roller.  

• Like 1