• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Blurb from Kirschner on Hawks potential coaching search

KB21

This is from his "The Athletic" article.  I'm going to paraphrase.  

He's heard two additional names to keep your eyes on with regards to the coaching job: Kenny Smith and Chauncey Billups.  He says that while they don't have head coaching experience, their experience as NBA players is something the Hawks value.  Apparently, Smith is well connected with Trae Young, and Chauncey Billups and Rayford Young have known each other for years.  

Also:

In preliminary conversations I've had with people close to the team, it sounds like previous head coaching and/or NBA playing experience is going to be important.  It makes sense for where this team is and how fast it wants to start winning.  Also, because this team is building around Young, experience developing point guards or playing the position will certainly be an important factor.  

He also mentions that the Hawks may view DeAndre Hunter as their second best player and may not be willing to match an offer greater than $100 million on John Collins.

Edited by KB21
  • Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

He's heard two additional names to keep your eyes on with regards to the coaching job: Kenny Smith and Chauncey Billups.  He says that while they don't have head coaching experience, their experience as NBA players is something the Hawks value.  Apparently, Smith is well connected with Trae Young, and Chauncey Billups and Rayford Young have known each other for years.  

Also:

He also mentions that the Hawks may view DeAndre Hunter as their second best player and may not be willing to match an offer greater than $100 million on John Collins.

I have no faith in Kenny but i'd be ok with Chauncey.  I think he probably knows what he's doing and I believe he's close the Youngs right?   Which maybe a bad thing.

I'm just not seeing the logic of not matching JC for a few extra million.   Friggin Nets sitting there with 3 guys making over $100 million a SEASON, Jazz paying Gobert a fortune, Sixers paying Simmons and Harris way more than JC's max,  and we're talking about not paying JC so we can 'afford' Hunter?   ugh.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I have no faith in Kenny but i'd be ok with Chauncey.  I think he probably knows what he's doing and I believe he's close the Youngs right?   Which maybe a bad thing.

I'm just not seeing the logic of not matching JC for a few extra million.   Friggin Nets sitting there with 3 guys making over $100 million a SEASON, Jazz paying Gobert a fortune, Sixers paying Simmons and Harris way more than JC's max,  and we're talking about not paying JC so we can 'afford' Hunter?   ugh.

Either we trade him or match. TS has already publicly stated we aren't going to let him walk. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Either we trade him or match. TS has already publicly stated we aren't going to let him walk. 

Yeah.  which to me means we would have to trade him at the deadline.   Who is a recent RFA that was in a SNT?  I think the rules have pretty eliminated it or at least made the potential return minimal.   Getting a 2nd round pick is the same as walking for nothing in my opinion.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah.  which to me means we would have to trade him at the deadline.   Who is a recent RFA that was in a SNT?  I think the rules have pretty eliminated it or at least made the potential return minimal.   Getting a 2nd round pick is the same as walking for nothing in my opinion.

Not for nothing but they could also match and then trade him next year.  Don't HAVE to trade him this year.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Malcolm Brogdon to Pacers - Bucks got #24 pick and a 2nd.

Double SnT:  Kemba Walker for Terry Rozier and a 2nd.

Christian Wood and a protected 1st, Pistons got Ariza, 2020 1st (#16 Isaiah Stewart) and a 2nd

Returns on RFA isn't much.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Y'all can keep believing that the Hawks are looking to trade Collins at the trade deadline cause they have all of this power forward depth on the team waiting to propel the hawks into the playoffs all you want but your logic makes no sense.  Use your common sense for a change people.  John ain't going anywhere.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Yeah can keep believing that the Hawks are looking to trade Collins at the trade deadline cause they have all of this power forward depth on the team waiting to propel the hawks into the playoffs all you want but your logic makes no sense.  Use your common sense for a change people.  John ain't going anywhere.

That's my point.  I was commenting on the idea that we aren't willing to match a max offer.   If that's the case then the only way to get value would be trade him at the deadline

At the end of the day i think he will be a Hawk and we will match any offer.   As to the idea that we can match and trade him later for value.   If that's the case then not sure why the hand wringing about 'over paying'.  

Just match the guy and lets move forward.

• Thanks 1

I've said all along I don't think John gets traded unless it's part of some blockbuster trade. The Hawks want to win now and they have no one to replace John if he's traded.  I don't think there's anyway TS trades him this year.  He could absolutely trade him next year after matching though IF he doesn't think JC is part of the future core.  

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I've said all along I don't think John gets traded unless it's part of some blockbuster trade. The Hawks want to win now and they have no one to replace John if he's traded.  I don't think there's anyway TS trades him this year.  He could absolutely trade him next year after matching though IF he doesn't think JC is part of the future core.  

If not John then who since we are in speculation mode?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Also:

He actually said: 

From the Hawks’ perspective, if they believe De’Andre Hunter is the second-best player on the roster, paying Collins over $100 million might be a difficult pill to swallow for a team that is still in its infant stages of developing into a contender. What they could do, however, is match an offer sheet in free agency and decide to trade him at a later date on his new contract.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all can keep believing that the Hawks are looking to trade Collins at the trade deadline cause they have all of this power forward depth on the team waiting to propel the hawks into the playoffs all you want but your logic makes no sense.  Use your common sense for a change people.  John ain't going anywhere.

These are the facts as I see it - If the Hawks focus is to make the playoffs and I assume it is: 

1. Trading Collins for a 2021 draft pick alone doesn't make any sense, it will have to be a player that can help and a pick. These are some ideas I've seen floated:   Markkenan and Bulls 1st, Love and Cavs 1st, Cam Johnson and Suns 1st, Niles Bridges and Hornets 1st.

2. Collins is making $4 million, so trading him by himself doesn't give us back an equal or better PF

3. Collins would need to be included as part of a larger trade to bring in an equal or better player by combining him and say Snell - we would be able to bring back a player with ~$19 mil is salary (and I can't think of said player right now).

(and this is not me saying to do or not any of these - just laying out 'stuff')

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

These are the facts as I see it - If the Hawks focus is to make the playoffs and I assume it is: 

1. Trading Collins for a 2021 draft pick alone doesn't make any sense, it will have to be a player that can help and a pick. These are some ideas I've seen floated:   Markkenan and Bulls 1st, Love and Cavs 1st,

So lets take this one at a time.  If the hawks trade for Markkenan and i don't know why the Bulls would add a 1st in the deal.  Isn't Markkenen a restricted free agent also?  And how does he help the team win now.  He is a poor defensive player and poor rebounder with a career BPM of -.2.

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Trading Collins for a 2021 draft pick alone doesn't make any sense, it will have to be a player that can help and a pick. These are some ideas I've seen floated:   Love and Cavs 1st, Cam Johnson

Kevin love makes $30 mil per year and is done.  Is he even starting anymore?  How do you match salaries?  Kevin will be out of the league next year so what do you do at power forward in this scenario.  Are we trying to win or just keep the payroll low?

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So lets take this one at a time.  If the hawks trade for Markkenan and i don't know why the Bulls would add a 1st in the deal.  Isn't Markkenen a restricted free agent also?  And how does he help the team win now.  He is a poor defensive player and poor rebounder with a career BPM of -.2.

Is rather keep JC over Lauri. If we can’t find a deal we like, we NEED to hold onto JC and give him a chance in the playoffs. As a rookie he had Bud as a coach, then Lloyd, let’s ride him out with Nate. 

I don’t understand why everyone over at realgm thinks we need to panic on a deal, we can match or sign n trade in the summer.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Kevin love makes $16 mil per year and is done.  Is he even starting anymore?  How do you match salaries?  Kevin will be out of the league next year so what do you do at power forward in this scenario.  Are we trying to win or just keep the payroll low?

Kevin Love has played 2 games this season, JC has played all 36 for us and is a decade younger than Love. NO WAY!!!!

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Cam Johnson and Suns 1st,

Does Cam Johnson have some hidden talent that we don't know about?  He averages 3.3 rebounds per game.  plus the pick most likely would be outside the lottery.  This make absolutely no sense.

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

So lets take this one at a time.  If the hawks trade for Markkenan and i don't know why the Bulls would add a 1st in the deal.  Isn't Markkenen a restricted free agent also?  And how does he help the team win now.  He is a poor defensive player and poor rebounder with a career VOIP of -.2.

If it's about money:

1. Markkenen's RFA contract offer from the Bulls was less that the Hawks offer to JC.  Markkenen's ask was also less tht was the Hawks offered JC.  He was looking for $18 million per.

2. John isn't a great defensive player either but you can see his improvement playing next to Capela, tht will help most players.

Player comparison stats:

Career:

Player Comparison: John Collins vs. Lauri Markkanen | Stathead.com

This Season:

Player Comparison: Lauri Markkanen vs. John Collins | Stathead.com