• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

O is for offensive... as-in it is offensive to call anyone the Big O who isn't the Big O

sturt

• Premium Member

oscar-robertson-iso-dribble-archive-1024

Call our guy Double O... or my favorite, King Okongwu... or something, anything, that isn't a nickname that has always been held by a Hall of Famer.

And if you know the social media person for Hawks, you might educate her/him. Doesn't seem to get it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

Stop being an old head @sturt

I kinda agree with him here but then again I want everyone off my lawn too. Gotta respect ✊🏿 the game. There’s only one big o and that’s Oscar. 

Just like we can’t call anyone else Air ____. That’s Jordan to me, the captain is Kareem and so on and so forth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I kinda agree with him here but then again I want everyone off my lawn too. Gotta respect ✊🏿 the game. There’s only one big o and that’s Oscar. 

Just like we can’t call anyone else Air ____. That’s Jordan to me, the captain is Kareem and so on and so forth.

Watch all the other old heads clique up in this thread 🤣

Dawg. If they didn’t play basketball on color TV, they nicknames expired already

• Haha 3

• Moderators

Call me an old head, but I fully agree with @sturt on this.  Big O is an iconic nickname.  Should be off the table for anyone but especially not for someone who looks like something other than a no-brainer superstar.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

In other news...

It's reported that Warriors social media has declared James Wiseman to be the next "Dr. J."

And in still other news...

Explaining that "LaMelo" doesn't flow off the tongue nearly as easily and that there is no copyright to prohibit it anyhow, the third pick of the 2020 NBA draft is being called "Magic" by the director of Hornets social media.

Finally, repeating our top story...

Nothing is sacred any more. Nor should it be.

• Haha 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

In other news...

It's reported that Warriors social media has declared James Wiseman to be the next "Dr. J."

And in still other news...

Explaining that "LaMelo" doesn't flow off the tongue nearly as easily and that there is no copyright to prohibit it anyhow, the third pick of the 2020 NBA draft is being called "Magic" by the director of Hornets social media.

Finally, repeating our top story...

Nothing is sacred any more. Nor should it be.

The lack of creativity is appalling.  You that hard up to come up with a nickname that you need to go raiding the list of names given to top players of all-time?  Really guys?  

Kinda pathetic for a player to use someone else's name for themselves.  Shows no real confidence in ability to build your own brand so you want to trade off someone else's.

Should LeBron James have called himself "Dr. J" instead of the King?  Would it be better if Jordan went by "Chocolate Thunder" instead of Air Jordan?  Lazy.

• Moderators

Oscar said...

Gwu Tang started this with his Twitter account (the added underscore for being late to the party is a nice touch) while he was still a 12-year-old. But that doesn't mean Hawks PR is obligated to reverberate his childhood inclinations.

One hard-and-fast rule of life is: you leave school, your nicknames stay behind there.

Shoot, I went by "Buckwheat" all through middle school, but y'all don't ever need to know that, o-tay? Not unless somebody... oh, nevermind!

Also, is "The Big OO" taken?

~lw3

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

One hard-and-fast rule of life is: you leave school, your nicknames stay behind there.

YA TELL THAT TO MY FRIENDS THEY STILL CALL 📞 ME... (ya right if I say it the villagers will attack..). 😂 

• Haha 2