• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Poll: Can we justify giving LouWill more than a single year contract?

sturt

Can we justify giving LouWill more than a single year contract?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An old adage:  A new broom sweeps clean. - - The answer:  Ah, but the old broom knows where the dirt is!

Lou may be getting along in years, as far as age and the NBA goes.  But, he knows stuff.  Stuff the young players have no ides about.  This is where coaches come in to the picture.  But, I believe it goes over better if you have an old wise player who can still get out on the floor and show them - in a game.

Lou may not play a lot.  Hawks don't need him to play a lot.  But, he has an important job to do and he is capable of doing this job really, really good.  Yes, I really want him to stay.  He is needed.

:smug:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How much and for how long?

If he's coming back for the Vet minimum on a two year deal, I don't mind having him here for mentoring purposes and he may be serviceable in pinch if Wright isn't brought back. 

That's why I voted I'm okay with bringing him back on a multiyear deal.  You bring up a valid point of the team option which would be ideal.  I don't believe you can get him on a vet minimum with a team option for the second year though.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I think the Hawks have outgrown the notion that they need vet guidance.  At some point the children grow up and it showed this past playoff run.  We don't need Lou plus Solo.  One will do

This is a valid point, but Trae really likes Lou and a couple more years of good leadership in the lockerroom won't be a bad thing.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

This is a valid point, but Trae really likes Lou and a couple more years of good leadership in the lockerroom won't be a bad thing.  

Trae doesn't need Lou to tell him how to play.  Trae is the leader of this locker room now.  Lou was about to retire last year when traded.

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Trae doesn't need Lou to tell him how to play.  Trae is the leader of this locker room now.  Lou was about to retire last year when traded.

Trae still took points from Lou.  Trae is only 22.  Mentoring is not always about how to play, but maybe how to communicate things to the team and other off the court situations.  I wasn't referring to Trae specially when I was talking about Lou's leadership, but the other young guards  (players) we have on the roster. Lou was a good presence in our locker room, I have no problem bringing him back. 

We are literally talking about the 15th roster spot. Lou coming back does not stop us from getting a serviceable back up center.  It may cause a Skyler Mays or Nathan Night not get a contract on the big team, but I'm fine with that. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, marco102 said:

Trae still took points from Lou.  Trae is only 22.  Mentoring is not always about how to play, but maybe how to communicate things to the team and other off the court situations.  I wasn't referring to Trae specially when I was talking about Lou's leadership, but the other young guards  (players) we have on the roster. Lou was a good presence in our locker room, I have not problem bringing him back. 

We are literally talking about the 15th roster spot. Lou coming back does not stop us from getting a serviceable center.  It may cause a Skyler Mays or Nathan Night not get a contract on the big team, but I'm fine with that. 

I like Mays!  I think he is a good back up that deserves a chance to contribute.  I don't want to waste a roster spot for Lou Williams or Solo for that matter.  Time to move on just like the Clippers did.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I like Mays!  I think he is a good back up that deserves a chance to contribute.  I don't want to waste a roster spot for Lou Williams or Solo for that matter.  Time to move on just like the Clippers did.

That's fine and I see your point clearly. I just don't want to mess up the locker room dynamic too much, but that's just me and liking stability.  I understand our young guys are probably pretty good leaders, but every young championship team has one or two old vets on it and that's why I'm okay bringing both back. 

The main question is for how long? I'd say this season for sure.  Anything beyond that is where the debate begins.