• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brandon Goodwin Reveals what Ended his Season

RedDawg#8

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, niremetal said:

Crazy. I was just thinking a couple weeks back about how clotting disorders seem surprisingly common among basketball and tennis players (kinda like @JayBirdHawk, I was thinking in particular about Bosh and Serena). I was wondering if that is because there's something about the constant grind on their lower bodies, which I have to think does weird stuff to blood flow...or if it's simply a matter of, "clotting issues are common in everyone, but we catch them more often in pro athletes because pro athletes are more attuned their bodies and/or because they have a team of medical professionals that keep a constant eye on their physical condition."

Hope Brandon can get a clean bill of health--ideally clean enough for him to play professionally again but, if not, at least enough that he can be healthy and happy.

FWIW, this was an interesting read on the subject:

https://www.med.uvm.edu/home/2016/07/12/cushman_discusses_why_elite_athletes_can_get_abnormal_blood_clots

Any of these could apply to Goody:

Risk Factors for Blood Clots in Athletes

• Athletes who use their arms heavily, like tennis players, baseball pitchers and basketball players, are at risk of clots involving the arm veins. These clots can occur when a structure at the base of the neck next to the shoulder called the thoracic outlet is narrowed. The vein, artery and nerve supplying the arm has to pass through this outlet, which is lined by muscles and bony structures. For athletes, especially those using their arms, the muscles can get large and contribute to the narrowing of the outlet. In this situation, repetitive injury to the vein going through that narrowed outlet sets the stage for a clot forming in the vein. These clots can cause swelling and pain of the arm, and sometimes numbness. Like leg clots, they can travel to the lungs causing pulmonary embolism. Treatment is with anticoagulant medications and often surgery is used to open up the outlet so that clots might not form again. 
  • Injuries are a major source of risk for clots, especially leg injuries that result in leg immobility afterwards. The worst example of this is a leg fracture with casting. However, minor injuries also can increase the risk somewhat; this is likely a factor for hockey players as they often get hit by the puck.
  • Surgery greatly increases the risk of blood clots for a period of several weeks. The risk is greater for orthopedic than general surgery, so it is a factor for athletes. In 2013, NBA Star Anderson Varejao's great season with the Cavaliers was cut short when he developed back and chest pain from a PE shortly after surgery on his quadriceps. His case proved that this condition doesn’t have to end a sports career; Varejao apparently had a finite treatment with anticoagulation and is currently playing for Golden State in the NBA playoffs.
  • Travel: We know that long travel slightly increases the risk of clots, and pro athletes travel a lot.

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:16 PM, ATLHawks3 said:

Looks like the Hawks were trying to protect him from himself. Glad he's healthy now, and I hope he finds another opportunity soon.

Or protect themselves from something happening to him under their watch.  Because if something did happen, they wouldn't blame it on the vaccine.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I hadn't really thought about it too much but i think BG has a point about the Bucks series.  I think he would have helped when Trae went down because he tries to play a similar game.  With Lou you don't get the same penetration.  Oh well we'll never know.

I know nothing about clots.   How do they tell when your clots have cleared?  What's the difference between these other athletes who returned to play after blood clots and what happened to Bosh?  or was that age related?

• Like 1