• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brandon Goodwin Reveals what Ended his Season

RedDawg#8

• Premium Member

That there have been anecdotal body chemistry reactions to a vax is generally understood, and the blood clot thing is the first thing that ever came to light. Those things are tracked closely by public health and by vax makers to identify patterns and enough people affected to prompt any reason for some new limitation. After millions and millions of shots globally, the short term effects seem to be as minimal as could be hoped. It's the longer term effects that we now have to pay attention to.... but/and, that's just the same as it is to say it's the longer term effects of covid-19 that we now have to pay attention to, so either way.

I'm so tired of this topic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ATLHawks3 said:

Looks like the Hawks were trying to protect him from himself. Glad he's healthy now, and I hope he finds another opportunity soon.

My take away is that he respects the organization but is still hurt by being shut down and told to basically keep things on the low. 
He sounds very unsure of his future despite trying to remain positive about it.

Safety first, but it comes across like he is afraid of being labeled as damaged goods because of this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sturt said:

That there have been anecdotal body chemistry reactions to a vax is generally understood, and the blood clot thing is the first thing that ever came to light. Those things are tracked closely by public health and by vax makers to identify patterns and enough people affected to prompt any reason for some new limitation. After millions and millions of shots globally, the short term effects seem to be as minimal as could be hoped. It's the longer term effects that we now have to pay attention to.... but/and, that's just the same as it is to say it's the longer term effects of covid-19 that we now have to pay attention to, so either way.

I'm so tired of this topic.

When our team initially started to get vaccinated, there was the report that like 3 players weren't initially eligible due to having too low of body mass%. Some including myself speculated who those players could have been and even put Goodwin's name out there as one possible.

I wonder if his body mass was a contributing factor to the clotting. Seems very likely to go hand in hand when you think about it.

This isn't intended to be another vax debate, I just found his explanation to be very intriguing considering it was kind of a mystery as to what happened to him last season.

Also gives some insight in to the organization behind the scenes.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

My take away is that he respects the organization but is still hurt by being shut down and told to basically keep things on the low. 
He sounds very unsure of his future despite trying to remain positive about it.

Safety first, but it comes across like he is afraid of being labeled as damaged goods because of this.

I understand that. But blood clots are no joke. Chris Bosh retired because of it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Please watch, this is good info. They kept all of this on the hush.

Sounds like Goodwin is being immature about not being able to play.  The Hawks medical staff job is to keep you safe & Healthy they are not going to " bend" just because you say you are feeling well now.  

1 hour ago, Blunt91 said:

Sounds like Goodwin is upset about not being able to make a living playing basketball anymore.  The Hawks medical staff job is to keep you safe & Healthy they are not going to " bend" just because you say you are feeling well now.  

Fixed it!

The playoffs thing I can understand. He wanted to help the team win. But this is potentially career threatening considering he was a fringe guy to begin with, now he has this on his medical report. He could be done in the NBA. Nobody's fault, just an unlucky break..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swanlee said:

No excuses anymore, if you don't get vaxxed you need to stay at home until the transmission rate is so low it is no longer a danger. 

Im not the MB police or anything, but just want to clarify that this topic is not a vax debate forum. They moved the last one if anyone wants to chime in on that debate.

This is about Goodwin and the abrupt end to his Hawks tenure, and potential ramifications going forward. He mentioned the Vax, but only to suggest what may have cause his blood clots. It was touch and go. He did not suggest anyone to get or not get it. It's simply his story. 

Just want us to stay on track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Fixed it!

The playoffs thing I can understand. He wanted to help the team win. But this is potentially career threatening considering he was a fringe guy to begin with, now he has this on his medical report. He could be done in the NBA. Nobody's fault, just an unlucky break..

Okay

• Premium Member

He's not the first player to have blood clot issues. In 2019 Brandon Ingram's season ended early due to blood clots. It started with severe shoulder pain.

As long as he's on blood thinners, teams won't let him play.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I understand that. But blood clots are no joke. Chris Bosh retired because of it. 

These guys also dealt with it....

Heat All-Star Chris Bosh was diagnosed with blood clots a month after Teletovic last season, and he again is dealing with health complications this year. Warriors center Anderson Varejao dealt with them two seasons ago, while with the Cavaliers. And Trail Blazers legend Jerome Kersey died suddenly at age 52 last year from what

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba/news/mirza-teletovic-blood-clots-nba-players-chris-bosh-anderson-varejao-jerome-kersey/1r9r4l0hydqbl1cik7ovrb7u7i

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Fixed it!

I don't think he would have had meaningful playoff minutes coming off a blood clot diagnosis. 

I think Life Threatening is more important here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, swanlee said:

No excuses anymore, if you don't get vaxxed you need to stay at home until the transmission rate is so low it is no longer a danger. 

Wow… that’s quite the statement. Also, of all the threads on the internet to make that statement, this thread probably least supports what you’re trying to say. Because this thread is about Brandon, a player we all loved. And most likely one of the healthiest people in the country. Having his career put into jeopardy immediately after receiving the shot. And your natural reaction is to put everyone who refuses that shot on indefinite house arrest? How very…totalitarian of you. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Sorry for Brandon. I don't understand how NBA players can't play after being diagnosed with a blood clot, but NFL players play with every injury and malady imaginable. 

Let me know which NFL player played immediately after being diagnosed with blood clots?  In each instance, they were all sidelined for some period until specific regiments could be worked out and given the all clear by doctors. (See Vinny Curry out for season)

Serena Williams was also sidelined for a year following a blood clot in her lung.

I wish Goodwin nothing but the best on his way back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Crazy. I was just thinking a couple weeks back about how clotting disorders seem surprisingly common among basketball and tennis players (kinda like @JayBirdHawk, I was thinking in particular about Bosh and Serena). I was wondering if that is because there's something about the constant grind on their lower bodies, which I have to think does weird stuff to blood flow...or if it's simply a matter of, "clotting issues are common in everyone, but we catch them more often in pro athletes because pro athletes are more attuned their bodies and/or because they have a team of medical professionals that keep a constant eye on their physical condition."

Hope Brandon can get a clean bill of health--ideally clean enough for him to play professionally again but, if not, at least enough that he can be healthy and happy.

Edited by niremetal