• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, AHF said:

The bottomline is that a team relying on 20-22 year olds as its top 5 players is not expected to be a playoff team.  At all.  The expectation is they will be a lottery team.  Take the most experienced one of the bunch and have him suspended for almost half the year, throw in some intermittant injuries and useless vets and the projected record is pretty ugly for an average coach.

Again, LP won't have that cover next year if the roster resembles what I think it will to start the season.  It will be time to move forward or time to move on.

You know Pierce wasn't forced to utilize his players the way he did.  He could have played a traditional center like other coaches would have but he chose not to.  He chose to play an under sized line ups with his ultimate plan of jacking up 40 3's a game without much effort to get the best shot or even setting up the right person to take the shot..  If the predicted results of not being able to rebound or play defense is because the team was young instead of undersized then I just have t disagree.

• Premium Member

Though Reddish came into the league with solid mechanics and versatile stroke, he also had inconsistent form and a relatively slow release. His shot preparation was sloppy, and imprecise footwork prevented him from shooting quickly or on the move. “It’s a challenge for guys that are long like that to get into a stance and get ready,” Garnett said. “But in the NBA you’ve gotta shoot the ball at a little bit different pace and a different kind of game speed to be able to get it off and be comfortable with that type of shot.” Because he often wasn’t squared up and ready to fire when he caught the ball, Reddish had a tendency to lean back and to the left when he shot, which caused ugly misses...

....Time and opportunity helped Reddish get more comfortable, but the transformation from bottom-five NBA player to quality rotation cog doesn’t happen without hours of additional work behind the scenes. Reddish watches film diligently and is among the most frequent after-hours visitors of the team’s practice facility. He and De’Andre Hunter were tied at the hip all season in pregame warmups and post-practice workouts. Reddish stayed committed to the process of improving even during his lowest moments, and a rough start only kept him focused on the work required to turn things around.

“I feel like I’m getting better, a little more comfortable, so I’m just gonna keep pushing,” Reddish said in November. “It’s a frustrating process, but I’ll be alright.”

He worked extensively on the different types of footwork required to shoot in different situations, keeping his off hand high through his release, and staying centered on his jumper. (“Chest over the ball,” Garnett reminds him during shooting sessions.) Reddish occasionally still drifts or drops his arm, but he now shoots a quicker and more balanced shot than he did before

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

You know Pierce wasn't forced to utilize his players the way he did.  He could have played a traditional center like other coaches would have but he chose not to.  He chose to play and under sized line ups with his ultimate plan of jacking up 40 3's a game without much effort to get the best shot or even setting up the right person to take the shot..  If the predicted results of not being able to rebound or play defense is because the team was young instead of undersized then I just have t disagree.

I'll just mention again that from January 1st on (which i use because that's roughly when we had a full roster),  we shot fewer 3s per game and at a better percentage than the Bucks.   This idea that guys were jacking horrible 3s and missing at some historic rate is bunk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I'll just mention again that from January 1st on (which i use because that's roughly when we had a full roster),  we shot fewer 3s per game and at a better percentage than the Bucks.   This idea that guys were jacking horrible 3s and missing at some historic rate is bunk. 

Y'all got to re-watch those game man.  Even the other team's commentator were saying the same thing over and over about the Hawks.  They shoot a lot of three's and are one of the worst teams at shooting them.  And some of those shots that Trae took were just ridiculously bad.  Other players took rushed early shot clock ill-advised 3's too like Huerter.  The bottom line is that the team was very undisciplined and soft.  One Boston Commentator even remarked that the team doesn't play any defense and nobody cares. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all got to re-watch those game man.  Even the other team's commentator were saying the same thing over and over about the Hawks.  They shoot a lot of three's and are one of the worst teams at shooting them.  And some of those shots that Trae took were just ridiculously bad.  Other players took rushed early shot clock ill-advised 3's too like Huerter.  The bottom line is that the team was very undisciplined and soft.  One Boston Commentator even remarked that the team doesn't play any defense and nobody cares. 

Yeah we shot a lot of 3s.  That's that's the offense.   Here are the 'core 5' 3 point percentages from 1/1/20 > end (a little over 30 games)

JC 41%

KH 40%

Cam 40%

Hunter 37%

Trae 35%

So i'm not seeing where not shooting 3s with this group would be a good coaching decision.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah we shot a lot of 3s.  That's that's the offense.   Here are the 'core 5' 3 point percentages from 1/1/20 > end (a little over 30 games)

JC 41%

KH 40%

Cam 40%

Hunter 37%

Trae 35%

So i'm not seeing where not shooting 3s with this group would be a good coaching decision.

The team was the worst 3 point shooting team in the league not just because they couldn't shoot but many of the shots taken were very bad.  Plus, the most efficient player was only taking about 15 shot per game without plays being run for him.  Also missed 3's leads to fast breaks etc.  By the way, Cam didn't shoot 40% from 3 last year and neither did Huerter.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The team was the worst 3 point shooting team in the league not just because they couldn't shoot but many of the shots taken were very bad.  Plus, the most efficient player was only taking about 15 shot per game without plays being run for him.  Also missed 3's lead to fast breaks etc.  By the way, Cam didn't shoot 40% from 3 last year and neither did Huerter.

Not sure if you are reading what he is saying.  He is specifically talking about January 1 on - i.e., numbers for 2020. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure if you are reading what he is saying.  He is specifically talking about January 1 on - i.e., numbers for 2020. 

You can't just take stats from certain time frames to describe someone's shooting abilities otherwise Taurean prince would be a top 5 scorer in the league today.  Although I do think John will continue to make a high percentage of his 3's because he is already very selective with his shots.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You can't just take stats from certain time frames to describe someone's shooting abilities otherwise Taurean prince would be a top 5 scorer in the league today.

It is fair to disagree with their reliance on that data set over the 2019 data set but I dipped a toe into the discussion since it seemed like you guys were talking past each other with you responding to their posts as if they were quoting full year data when they weren't looking at that.

I don't have a problem looking at that time frame, personally.  It seems like a fairly large sample size and better takes into account development of the young players - especially the rookies.  

Trae's 2018 and 2019 splits were significantly different and his 2019 splits from his rookie year were much better predictors of 2019-20 play than his full rookie year stats.  Reddish stands out for me as someone whose 2020 split will be much more representative of his sophomore season play than his 2019 split or his full year numbers.  JC also stands out since he barely played in 2019 -- and as a consequence this group of players barely played together in 2019 while they consistently played together in the 2020 game set.  Given the size and those factors, I personally find more value in looking at the 2020 numbers than the full year stats.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

It is fair to disagree with their reliance on that data set over the 2019 data set but I dipped a toe into the discussion since it seemed like you guys were talking past each other with you responding to their posts as if they were quoting full year data when they weren't looking at that.

I don't have a problem looking at that time frame, personally.  It seems like a fairly large sample size and better takes into account development of the young players - especially the rookies.  

Trae's 2018 and 2019 splits were significantly different and his 2019 splits from his rookie year were much better predictors of 2019-20 play than his full rookie year stats.  Reddish stands out for me as someone whose 2020 split will be much more representative of his sophomore season play than his 2019 split.  JC also stands out since he barely played in 2019 -- and as a consequence this group of players barely played together in 2019 while they consistently played together in the 2020 game set.  Given the size and those factors, I personally find more value in looking at the 2020 numbers than the full year stats.

John is smart with his 3's...Trae and Huerter aren't!  They hunt for 3's which is never a good thing.  Hunter is patient too but and should get better also.  I hope Cam keeps it up.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

John is smart with his 3's...Trae and Huerter aren't!  They hunt for 3's which is never a good thing.  Hunter is patient too but and should get better also.  I hope Cam keeps it up.

Trae and Huerter don't change much when you switch from 2020 game set to full year.

They go from 35% and 40% to 36% and 38%.

I would personally like to see Trae get a little more selective with his shots (you know I don't like the super long ones very much) but I can't argue with his .595% TS%.  Kevin's .548% TS% isn't bad for a SG either.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Trae and Huerter don't change much when you switch from 2020 game set to full year.

They go from 35% and 40% to 36% and 38%.

They both should be over 40% based on their shooting talent but because of the offense, they might have a bit of a ceiling especially Young.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

They both should be over 40% based on their shooting talent but because of the offense, they might have a bit of a ceiling especially Young.

Young hasn't been close to 40% for the last 3 years so I'm not holding my breath on that.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Young hasn't been close to 40% for the last 3 years so I'm not holding my breath on that.

He was around 37% for most of this season..And most of his 3's were off the dribble...I dont know what his % is on catch and shoot 3's, but Id be willing to bet its better than 37%..Not sure though..

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
1 minute ago, terrell said:

He was around 37% for most of this season..

He significantly improved this year for sure.  Just not expecting 40%. He hasn't been close to there yet.  (Big difference between 36% and 40% - 32% sucks, 36% is good, 40% is outstanding).

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

That's because of his shot selection and the fact that his coach is treating him like Drew treated Josh Smith his 1st 2 years coaching

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

That's because of his shot selection and the fact that his coach is treating him like Drew treated Josh Smith his 1st 2 years coaching

A big difference is that Trae's scoring efficiency is elite for a PG while Josh's scoring efficiency was pretty terrible for a PF.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

A big difference is that Trae's scoring efficiency is elite for a PG while Josh's scoring efficiency was pretty terrible for a PF.

Regardless, the guy deserves to be coached like other players in the league

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Interesting.  Folks say he's add odds with CLP for doing just what you're asking for.  Hmmm ....

-NeoPeo

Bring a coach in that he will listen to so this team can start to win consistently because they can't win taking 10-15 bad shots per game.  Their defense isn't good enough