• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CAM REDDISH TO NY FOR KEVIN KNOX AND FIRST!?!

NBASupes

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I thought I was seeing double....but nope...actually seeing triple :laugh:

Screenshot_20200416-170936_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-170951_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-171248_Samsung Internet.jpg

Are we all supposed to do this? :spiteful:

They are just acknowledging crossing over to the dark side calling for another head coach

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Bring a coach in that he will listen to so this team can start to win consistently because they can't win taking 10-15 bad shots per game.  Their defense isn't good enough

Thus just in.  Peo wants Trae to be GM.

News at 11.

- NeoPeo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Lets face it...Some people can't lead men other can.

What uppppppp fam! 😂 

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I thought I was seeing double....but nope...actually seeing triple :laugh:

Screenshot_20200416-170936_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-170951_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-171248_Samsung Internet.jpg

Are we all supposed to do this? :spiteful:

Trifecta? Do we dare. Wait, that’s 4. Good god I’ve forgotten how to count. This is Sturt’s fault 💯 

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

You can't just take stats from certain time frames to describe someone's shooting abilities otherwise Taurean prince would be a top 5 scorer in the league today.  Although I do think John will continue to make a high percentage of his 3's because he is already very selective with his shots.

I took 1/1/20 on for legit reasons.

- it was when Collins was back

- it was when we were playing the guys who are the future of the team in normal lineups

- drifters like Jabari, Turner, Crabbe weren't in the lineup

- Hunter and Cam (like Trae last year) had a couple months of rookie acclimation under their belt.  So january on seemed more fair 

i think this is pretty indicative of what we can expect from these guys going forward.  In fact Trae's 3% in this period was lower than his full season.  

You haven't really addressed the question.  You keep saying that we were the worst 3 point shooting team and that we took 'horrible' shots.  But as i pointed out, over the last 30 games of the season, the guys who are the future of this team shot the 3 very effectively.   So why should our offense NOT be shooting 3s as much when the top 5 players have shown that's one of the more effective parts of their games?

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So why should our offense NOT be shooting 3s as much when the top 5 players have shown that's one of the more effective parts of their games?

No one is saying that the team should not shoot 3's but rather have a more diverse attack.  In many of the games especially the when the team was blown out, the 3 ball game wasn't working and the team could not adjust.  There should more down screens to free up John around the basket to get him more opportunities around the rim for example since he is so good at it.  This team is too 1 dimensional on offense with an occasional lob pass.  Too easy to defend.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

No one is saying that the team should not shoot 3's but rather have a more diverse attack.  In many of the games especially the when the team was blown out, the 3 ball game wasn't working and the team could not adjust.  There should more down screens to free up John around the basket to get him more opportunities around the rim for example since he is so good at it.  This team is too 1 dimensional on offense with an occasional lob pass.  Too easy to defend.

See.  I don't think there is as much disagreement as it appears.  I don't disagree with this at all.  All i'm trying to say is that the notion that we are a horrendous 3 point shooting team isn't really the case.   The idea that we should have a more varied attack is legit.   And if you don't like 3 centered offensives that's cool too.  But imo the argument has been that LP ignores the fact that he has terrible 3 point shooters and is evidence he is a bad coach.  When in fact the top 5 players on the team have shown that they are very good 3 point shooters. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

See.  I don't think there is as much disagreement as it appears.  I don't disagree with this at all.  All i'm trying to say is that the notion that we are a horrendous 3 point shooting team isn't really the case.   The idea that we should have a more varied attack is legit.   And if you don't like 3 centered offensives that's cool too.  But imo the argument has been that LP ignores the fact that he has terrible 3 point shooters and is evidence he is a bad coach.  When in fact the top 5 players on the team have shown that they are very good 3 point shooters. 

Dude..watch the games please!  It wasn't just 5 people taking threes on this team.  Heck he was even trying force Teague to take 4 three's per game who didn't want to do it.  And we aren't going to even talk about him encouraging Bruno and Bembry to take those things.

I'm really late to this but I think Trae Young's game has to include deep threes and I'm pretty sure I remember talking about this months ago. It doesn't need to be 5+ a game (maybe around 3ish per game would be better) like it may have seemed on occasion but if he just stops taking them, it'll allow defenders to back up some, and with his athleticism not being as good as it could be, he might not be able to get to the rim as much and then we go on and on with how the rest of his game is affected.

You could consider it a flaw if this theory is true too, needing the low percentage three and having the rest of his game fill out around said low percentage three. 

In fact, although I haven't seen it with 19/20, I wonder if he's like 18/19 where his deep three percentage was better than the easier threes...which I do admit is odd. 

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm really late to this but I think Trae Young's game has to include deep threes

Who said that he should stop taking deep threes.  He needs to be more selective with his threes.  Can't just come down with a lead in the 4th quarter with 20 seconds left of the shot clock and launch a contested off balance fall away three.  Look for a better shot under those and similar circumstances.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I took 1/1/20 on for legit reasons.

- it was when Collins was back

- it was when we were playing the guys who are the future of the team in normal lineups

- drifters like Jabari, Turner, Crabbe weren't in the lineup

- Hunter and Cam (like Trae last year) had a couple months of rookie acclimation under their belt.  So january on seemed more fair 

i think this is pretty indicative of what we can expect from these guys going forward.  In fact Trae's 3% in this period was lower than his full season.  

You haven't really addressed the question.  You keep saying that we were the worst 3 point shooting team and that we took 'horrible' shots.  But as i pointed out, over the last 30 games of the season, the guys who are the future of this team shot the 3 very effectively.   So why should our offense NOT be shooting 3s as much when the top 5 players have shown that's one of the more effective parts of their games?

I agree that 2020 is the most meaningful data set for looking at our "core 5."  Like I believe in 2020 Reddish being the better predictor for next season 50x more than I believe that 2019 Reddish will be what we see next year and 20x more than full year Reddish.

• Like 2

Ya'll know how I feel about Reddish. My opinion is the same. 

His offense is coming along nicely but it might be a year or two before he's close to what he's going to be in the future. 

His defense will be here sooner than later. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Dude..watch the games please!  It wasn't just 5 people taking threes on this team.  Heck he was even trying force Teague to take 4 three's per game who didn't want to do it.  And we aren't going to even talk about him encouraging Bruno and Bembry to take those things.

Dude..i watch every game.   you watch the damn games and quit throwing out things like - huge volumes of horrible 3s.   I showed you that our top players are good at shooting 3s that is all.   The offense is built for these guys not for bembry and bruno.   You've got your opinion, i've got mine which i supported with facts.  Don't tell me i don't watch the games.  

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

The offense is built for these guys not for bembry and bruno.   You've got your opinion, i've got mine which i supported with facts. 

If the offensive was similar Bud's during Korver years, I would agree with you but it isn't.  Bud would set double screens and numerous other actions to free up Korver and expect the pass to be deliver on time.  LP's offense on the other hand is nothing like that.  It more like give the ball to Trae young on the pick and roll and let him create while having the freedom to take any shot he wanted.  Huerter's shots are mostly one on one action also.  John is more of a catch and shoot but his opportunities are directly related to Trae drawing and kicking.  So no...There is no design to target those particular players.  They shot more because the other players like Len, Bembry, Bruno, Teague, Jones and Parker stop shooting them after they realized that they couldn't make them.  Only Carter and Goodwin kept firing them up there despite the low percentages.

• Moderators

The Hawks led the league in high quality 3pt attempts.  I'm really interested to see if we maintain that quality when we improve our shooters from Bembry, Turner, etc. to guys who can more consistently and productively take those shots.  Next year is going to be fascinating on a lot of levels.

• Thanks 1