• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, sturt said:

I take people at face value until proven otherwise. Ressler's extended answer to that question last off-season is something we chewed on here in this room quite a bit. He drew the picture that once the team is established as a contender, then he can stomach going into the tax, but even then, only to keep core players. Seems reasonable enough to me.

Translation, given our present status: He wouldn't be okay with going into the tax just yet.

Posted this recently in another thread:  Ressler on paying the Tax:

Ressler has previously said he would have no qualms about paying the tax if it meant the Hawks were title contenders. He was asked about that quote and what his stance is now on potentially entering the tax for the first time since purchasing the Hawks.

“We’re going to pay what we have to pay,” Ressler said. “Sometimes owners set a tone — and I’m trying to set a very clear tone — sometimes we say some things one season that may not pertain to the next. Going into the tax doesn’t scare us. Obviously, you want to spend money intelligently. Obviously, you want to run a good business. For whatever it’s worth, I do not look at going into the tax as only possible if we’re competing for a championship that season. Our job is to go into the tax when it’s good business, to position ourselves for greatness. We do not fear the tax. We do not fear spending money. We fully expect Atlanta to be a truly attractive marketplace for (whoever) considers playing here. Money is not going to be our obstacle.”

I then followed up with a very specific question: Has he given Schlenk clearance to enter the tax this season?

“Yes. It’s a one word answer,” Ressler said. “I don’t want to qualify hopefully the obvious. I also say let’s do it intelligently. I don’t think you want to go into the tax to prove the point that we can go into the tax. I don’t worry about those types of things. We can go into the tax for the right reasons at the right time, any time.”

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ressler has previously said he would have no qualms about paying the tax if it meant the Hawks were title contenders. He was asked about that quote and what his stance is now on potentially entering the tax for the first time since purchasing the Hawks.

“We’re going to pay what we have to pay,” Ressler said. “Sometimes owners set a tone — and I’m trying to set a very clear tone — sometimes we say some things one season that may not pertain to the next. Going into the tax doesn’t scare us. Obviously, you want to spend money intelligently. Obviously, you want to run a good business. For whatever it’s worth, I do not look at going into the tax as only possible if we’re competing for a championship that season. Our job is to go into the tax when it’s good business, to position ourselves for greatness. We do not fear the tax. We do not fear spending money. We fully expect Atlanta to be a truly attractive marketplace for (whoever) considers playing here. Money is not going to be our obstacle.”

I then followed up with a very specific question: Has he given Schlenk clearance to enter the tax this season?

“Yes. It’s a one word answer,” Ressler said. “I don’t want to qualify hopefully the obvious. I also say let’s do it intelligently. I don’t think you want to go into the tax to prove the point that we can go into the tax. I don’t worry about those types of things. We can go into the tax for the right reasons at the right time, any time.”

Yup and "go into the tax" is very different than "we aren't scared of the LT and will pay what we need to in order to compete". His words are carefully chosen.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

2.      Atlanta wants to save money (TPE). Meaning any trade for JC, will mean Atlanta wants to save a lot of money. They want the high lottery pick, a player that’s not like that important but is on a cheap good contract, and they want to trade with teams who have a lot of cap space in 22-23.  

This makes sense if we're going all in on Ayton. We need to get under the cap to make a swap of Capela for Ayton work, I believe. Otherwise the BYC rules apply. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, warcore said:

This makes sense if we're going all in on Ayton. We need to get under the cap to make a swap of Capela for Ayton work, I believe. Otherwise the BYC rules apply. 

BYC rules still apply for how much the Suns can take back in salary $18 mil vs how much the Hawks will take back $30 - that does not change.  Clearing money just makes it easier on our end for the deal to work.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Whoa.

This is recent, yes?

Because, this is indeed different from what I was referencing from last off-season. He clearly, to me, knows in the back of his mind it's different because he says, "sometimes we say some things one season that may not pertain to the next."

Can I get a source so I can get the rest of the context?

My reaction? Objectively his previous position made more sense. You don't want to be the newest version of futility that is the Los Angeles Clippers... a one-time ne'er-do-well of the league, and now a team that is always at or near the top of the payroll, with nothing to show for it. But who am I to say... it's his (and the other investors') money.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Whoa.

This is recent, yes?

Because, this is indeed different from what I was referencing from last off-season. He clearly, to me, knows in the back of his mind it's different because he says, "sometimes we say some things one season that may not pertain to the next."

Can I get a source so I can get the rest of the context?

My reaction? Objectively his previous position made more sense. You don't want to be the newest version of futility that is the Los Angeles Clippers... a one-time ne'er-do-well of the league, and now a team that is always at or near the top of the payroll, with nothing to show for it. But who am I to say... it's his (and the other investors') money.

End of season interview May 5th 2022:

Hawks owner Tony Ressler on paying the tax, upgrading the roster, his confidence in Nate McMillan, Travis Schlenk - The Athletic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, georgia said:

Wanting Gobert or Ayton but wanting more time for OO is odd.    I’m not sure about the PF spot for him unless he can be an Ibaka

Traditional 4, I get it. OO would be a load offensively in the paint for a typical 4 to guard. He is so strong. He's incredibly active, so I get it. He's going to have to get at least a 12 feet out face up game to be effective and that's why he needs time I'd gather.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Other nugget which we all know is we want another scorer on the wing.    Said we missed on Holiday and CJ.   Maybe they think Daniels is that guy.  

After watching Wiggins.    I’m glad we’re keeping Hunter.   He will get there.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Traditional 4, I get it. OO would be a load offensively in the paint for a typical 4 to guard. He is so strong. He's incredibly active, so I get it. He's going to have to get at least a 12 feet out face up game to be effective and that's why he needs time I'd gather.

Any word on how he is progressing so far this offseason (I know it's still early).

36 minutes ago, georgia said:

pick 44 is open to be sold

NO! Stop doing this crap! Do they not understand the value in having a small contract to fill out the roster? That's basically providing it's own money in the form of preventing us from having to pay some bumvet. Except a 2nd round pick can turn out to be a key rotation player on a value contract. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, georgia said:

Other nugget which we all know is we want another scorer on the wing.    Said we missed on Holiday and CJ.   Maybe they think Daniels is that guy.  

After watching Wiggins.    I’m glad we’re keeping Hunter.   He will get there.  

Wiggins was a high volume shooter in Minny that shot his team out of Games.. and now is a defensive stallworth that can take over a game if need be.    How is that related to Hunter?  IMO, Hunter takes too many threes and don't get enough rebounds.   That's nothing like Wiggins.   Hunter doesn't have the same background as Wiggins. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, warcore said:

NO! Stop doing this crap! Do they not understand the value in having a small contract to fill out the roster? That's basically providing it's own money in the form of preventing us from having to pay some bumvet. Except a 2nd round pick can turn out to be a key rotation player on a value contract. 

I like the Bumvets...

These second rounders will eventually become bumvets too.  At 44... that's really nothing to talk about.   We used to get some Europlayer that we knew would never leave Europe.   Some old Pape Sy.. kind of pick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2