• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Name the 3 NBA GMs who in your mind have earned the designation, "Most Likely to Lose a Trade"

sturt

• Premium Member

I was thinking about this because I was thinking about the other end of that spectrum... and how, though I'm a fan of taking some assets from OKC, I'm at the same time leery of making deals with Sam Presti because he has a reputation as a savvy trade negotiator.

And I realized... given my lack of admiration for our own GM's trade-savvy-ness... and the likelihood that trades are a-comin'... sure would be good to make trades with GMs who have a lesser reputation than he does.

I suppose Rob Pelinka (LAL) is seeming especially vulnerable these days. Besides him, I'm really not sure. Anyone else who might qualify seems too new to really have any basis for judgment.

Thought I would turn it over to the jury at-large for their insight, though.

Travis doesn't have the best history with trades but I do think he makes trades that include everyone like the agents, players feelings, etc.

It's hard to get over on modern GMs. Even the guys you think aren't savvy are. Guys are much better in 2022 than they were in 2008.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Travis doesn't have the best history with trades but I do think he makes trades that include everyone like the agents, players feelings, etc.

It's hard to get over on modern GMs. Even the guys you think aren't savvy are. Guys are much better in 2022 than they were in 2008.

It's true. No one just hands out lottery picks anymore, and if they do they are almost always protected. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

There are guys who lose trades. There are guys who win trades. And there are guys who make trades that don't lose or win, but don't actually make any difference anyhow.

We're at a place where he needs some outright wins. No?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Sam Presti

He’s like the me lucky charms guy.. he wants all the gold, he’s insane (and magically delicious :indifferent:)

image.gif.5dd9b73741781c9132ec2bb8a2fa8e16.gif

(above is Sam pictured showing off his draft picks for the next 14 years).

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, theheroatl said:

It would be best to list the trade evidence to judge them hindsight. Travis doesn’t really lose trades he just makes balances ones. Can’t deny Sam Presti has a way of just going after picks. Not sure that is the goal in the NBA.

That's true. But I'm open to just hearing others' ideas in terms of general reputation for now. If I care to dig deeper and research some, that's always an option if/when I get time.

And regarding Presti, that's only been his recent MO, of course. I do think that it's more reputation than reality that he's been consistently good at the trade component of the job, though, as I review what's discussed on his Wiki page.

Sam Presti is vastly overrated. If your strategy is to stockpile picks by sending out talent then he wins. Until he wins a championship he is just another “process” guy.

I would rate Masai up near the best because of his overall job including drafting FVV, Pascal, OG, and Scottie. Since he arrives Toronto hasn’t been in the dumpster.

Bob Myers clearly learned a ton from Larry Riley so Travis is just trying to carry that torch but overall luck is needed. 

Whomever Orlando and Knicks have at any given time is probably a candidate for the worst.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The second part of this so much. This isn't the old days and hasn't been in a long time. That idiot Russian owner that forced the Nets to destroy their future for years for a short window at being a 50 win team was a watershed moment for the NBA front office. No one wants to be "that team" and as a result trades are far more balanced and harder to pull off. 

Even in our situation hoping to get Ayton or Lavine it depends on S&T and both teams working together. The only person that is out to fleece people is Danny Ainge and now that he's running the Jazz I fully expect him to try and do it again with Gobert and Spider. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, theheroatl said:

Sam Presti is vastly overrated. If your strategy is to stockpile picks by sending out talent then he wins. Until he wins a championship he is just another “process” guy.

What???

He put together the OKC thunder that went to the finals.  If nothing else, his scouting ability is tremendous. 

• Like 1