• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is JJ's future with the Hawks?

FL_BRYANT

59 minutes ago, sturt said:

*sigh*

You made me do it. (Not personal "you" to anyone, btw... )

Like I said.

Schlenk on whether JJ is a 5 (... cued up):

This is draft day. We all knew that he was projected to be a 4 out of college. We all know this. You didn't pull up shit

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He'll do well.  Then, when his rookie contract is up, he'll expect to be compensated, which management will begrudgingly do.  Then,  in a year or so, he'll get traded for a late first round pick and an overpaid player with one year left on his contract.

It's how we roll. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

1. They sure did have him getting the ball on the wing in College Park a whole lot for someone who is that defiantly considered a 4.

2. He may have changed his mind, of course, but Schlenk was asked after JJ was drafted if it was thought he would play some 5... and while I don't recall the exact words and too lazy to look it up, I do recall that grimaced smile on his face as he indicated that that wasn't the plan.

3. That said, I totally get why one would think JJ would be more likely to crack the rotation at the 4... and as the roster stands today, with Gallo on the cusp of something happening to cancel his official State Farm Arena pass... yeah, that does seem most likely.

When people aggressively deny something I've asserted, all I can do is provide the reasons why I asserted them.

I stand behind my original words. My exact original words.

And I remain baffled how anyone didn't already accept that they were accurate in the first place, but it's okay. Life goes on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Watchman said:

He'll do well.  Then, when his rookie contract is up, he'll expect to be compensated, which management will begrudgingly do.  Then,  in a year or so, he'll get traded for a late first round pick and an overpaid player with one year left on his contract.

It's how we roll. 

Don’t even get me started……

JJ is most natural as a post big, especially on defense. Because that’s all he has ever been asked to play, at every level. He has virtually no game reps as a 3, even though he has the skills to get by at that position.

Supes is right that he was never asked to guard on the perimeter. Of every facet of his game that might be his weakest. Similar to JC when asked to defend in space, he has the athleticism, but he is uncomfortable and will never go over on a screen. Always under.

JJ has the verticality and just enough size and strength that he can bump down defensively to the 5. He has always been forced to defend the paint growing up as a 6-8+ guy with crazy hops to swat shots.

If you are only what you can defend then yes, he is a F/C right now. But offensively, he is a 3/4 combo forward who is comfortable handling the rock. 

He will settle in as a PF that may or may not be allowed to play-make for us. 

I do not see him at the 5 as long as we are committed to OO + whatever center we decide to trade for. There are just way more minutes for him at PF and backup SF right now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

JJ is most natural as a post big, especially on defense. Because that’s all he has ever been asked to play, at every level. He has virtually no game reps as a 3, even though he has the skills to get by at that position.

Supes is right that he was never asked to guard on the perimeter. Of every facet of his game that might be his weakest. Similar to JC when asked to defend in space, he has the athleticism, but he is uncomfortable and will never go over on a screen. Always under.

JJ has the verticality and just enough size and strength that he can bump down defensively to the 5. He has always been forced to defend the paint growing up as a 6-8+ guy with crazy hops to swat shots.

If you are only what you can defend then yes, he is a F/C right now. But offensively, he is a 3/4 combo forward who is comfortable handling the rock. 

He will settle in as a PF that may or may not be allowed to play-make for us. 

I do not see him at the 5 as long as we are committed to OO + whatever center we decide to trade for. There are just way more minutes for him at PF and backup SF right now.

Bro, this is an elite post. I almost shed a tear. Keep posting man, please keep posting

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Have to affirm what was said that mainly JJ was asked in CP to patrol the post, and yes, if Tillman was out, defend the 5.

And I think all of what @RedDawg#8 said is correct, with this exception.

11 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Supes is right that he was never asked to guard on the perimeter.

(Anticipating the question, yes, #6 was Long Island's starting line-up SF)

2022-06-20_07-52-04.png

7 hours ago, marco102 said:

He's exactly what ya'll are arguing between a 3 and 5. He's a 4. 

Right. And fwiw... I know we're mainly talking clean-up minutes... McM played him virtually every time he was on the floor as a 4, if you review the 5-man line-ups for him.

He truly is almost exactly what you'd want to have coming in the door to replace Gallo, and not miss a beat.

• Like 1

Some of us believe JJ is a real keeper.  Others (Not here on the Squawk) have him being a "throw in" in the projected deal if and when Collins is traded.  Collins + JJ + three first round draft picks and that was not enough!  Lots of smoke.  No fire in sight as of yet.

If Hawks are going to make a trade before the draft, time is running out!

🧑‍🔧Under repair.