• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Unless Atlanta willing to spend over the LT this year

NBASupes

This is going to be an extremely bargain basement summer. 

As of right now due to Trae's supermax for a rookie contract ender, we are - with 10 players. Meaning, if we just fill out the rest of the roster with minimums, that would count 1.7 mil(pending) against the cap unless they are rookie mins and that's a beast for us. 

So that means all of this, let's get this or that if we are running it back has to slow down. 

Now cutting Danilo saves us 16,450,000 million. But once you cut out the LT money. You have 10,671,733 for 5 players to add. 

Say you add Delon back 3/15. That's 4.5 million. You sign Coop, Mays, and Brown. That's 5.4 million. Basically Atlanta has to pay the LT if they can't trade Gallinari within the next week which frees up 5 million and gives Atlanta a chance to add a vet. 

If Atlanta is willing to add a vet and pay the tax, they have the Taxpayer exception which is 6,339,000 million. At this point, if you are Atlanta, you might think, we are going to be over the LT no matter what. If you bring back Gallo, add Delon back. That fills in holes and you end up paying 15,678,267 over the tax. That's pretty massive compared to being over the tax by 2 million but you really have to replace Gallo so you will likely get a vet like Porter Jr which will cost you about 4.5 million. That's brings your tax bill to 4.5 instead of 15.6 with Gallo back. 

Either way, that JC contract is looking like a massive mistake considering the tax repercussions. 

I don't see how this team can improve in FA. All they have is minimums and one TE and they must resign Delon Wright back. 

Landry got his hands full. 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/03/projected-nba-minimum-salaries-for-2022-23.html

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is going to be an extremely bargain basement summer. 

As of right now due to Trae's supermax for a rookie contract ender, we are - with 10 players. Meaning, if we just fill out the rest of the roster with minimums, that would count 1.7 mil(pending) against the cap unless they are rookie mins and that's a beast for us. 

So that means all of this, let's get this or that if we are running it back has to slow down. 

Now cutting Danilo saves us 16,450,000 million. But once you cut out the LT money. You have 10,671,733 for 5 players to add. 

Say you add Delon back 3/15. That's 4.5 million. You sign Coop, Mays, and Brown. That's 5.4 million. Basically Atlanta has to pay the LT if they can't trade Gallinari within the next week which frees up 5 million and gives Atlanta a chance to add a vet. 

If Atlanta is willing to add a vet and pay the tax, they have the Taxpayer exception which is 6,339,000 million. At this point, if you are Atlanta, you might think, we are going to be over the LT no matter what. If you bring back Gallo, add Delon back. That fills in holes and you end up paying 15,678,267 over the tax. That's pretty massive compared to being over the tax by 2 million but you really have to replace Gallo so you will likely get a vet like Porter Jr which will cost you about 4.5 million. That's brings your tax bill to 4.5 instead of 15.6 with Gallo back. 

Either way, that JC contract is looking like a massive mistake considering the tax repercussions. 

I don't see how this team can improve in FA. All they have is minimums and one TE and they must resign Delon Wright back. 

Landry got his hands full. 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/03/projected-nba-minimum-salaries-for-2022-23.html

This is precisely why bringing in more expensive players like Gobert/Ayton made no sense.  The solution is easy to me, Cut Gallo and resign cheap bench players and wait until the following year to sort things out.  Hopefully the salary cap continues to rise

• Like 3

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Even without JC's contract we still have ZERO capspace to use in FAcy....the most 'FA money' we have to spend is either the $10 mil MLE or the $6 mil TMLE depending on what happens with Gallo's contract.

Just like with making trades...a lot will depend on what happens with Gallo's contract wether we are operating over or under the tax at the START of FAcy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You do realize that even if JC had taken the 4yr/$90 million we'd still be in a similar spot, right?

That article just highlighted Atlanta in a nutshell when it described this strange obsession by the organization and its fans to get rid of John Collins.  Everything including the salary cap issues is his fault.  Gallo's contract...No problem...Trae's contract no problem, Bogi's contract...no problem but john's contract...big problem.  I know this is a fan site which implies logic is no longer an option but D=mn, use some common sense at least.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Even without JC's contract we still have ZERO capspace to use in FAcy....the most 'FA money' we have to spend is either the $10 mil MLE or the $6 mil TMLE depending on what happens with Gallo's contract.

Just like with making trades...a lot will depend on what happens with Gallo's contract wether we are operating over or under the tax at the START of FAcy.

Seems like you have to explain the same concepts over and over.  I'm assuming that you have young kids and that is where your patience comes from.  LOL!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

That article just highlighted Atlanta in a nutshell when it described this strange obsession by the organization and its fans to get rid of John Collins.  Everything including the salary cap issues is his fault.  Gallo's contract...No problem...Trae's contract no problem, Bogi's contract...no problem but john's contract...big problem.  I know this is a fan site which implies logic is no longer an option but D=mn, use some common sense at least.

Agreed.  I think Johns contract is very reasonable and he is a major net positive to this team.  Cap is in for a major jump anyway and this will prove to be a bargain imo.  As with all of our players, I would still trade him in an upgrade or larger package, but i dont feel like we have to trade him.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Let me repost Ressler's thought on paying the Luxury Tax

We’re going to pay what we have to pay,” Ressler said. “Sometimes owners set a tone — and I’m trying to set a very clear tone — sometimes we say some things one season that may not pertain to the next. Going into the tax doesn’t scare us. Obviously, you want to spend money intelligently. Obviously, you want to run a good business. For whatever it’s worth, I do not look at going into the tax as only possible if we’re competing for a championship that season. Our job is to go into the tax when it’s good business, to position ourselves for greatness. We do not fear the tax. We do not fear spending money. We fully expect Atlanta to be a truly attractive marketplace for (whoever) considers playing here. Money is not going to be our obstacle.”

I then followed up with a very specific question: Has he given Schlenk clearance to enter the tax this season?

“Yes. It’s a one word answer,” Ressler said. “I don’t want to qualify hopefully the obvious. I also say let’s do it intelligently. I don’t think you want to go into the tax to prove the point that we can go into the tax. I don’t worry about those types of things. We can go into the tax for the right reasons at the right time, any time.”

My main takeaway is this: It’s still not 100 percent clear if the Hawks will or won’t be a tax-paying team this coming season. Ressler is essentially saying he won’t pay it just to pay it, and the moves Schlenk makes this offseason have to justify paying a penalty. If the Hawks build a roster on paper that looks as if it’s going to struggle once again to just make the Play-In Tournament, it makes zero sense to pay the tax. If the Hawks make splashy moves and add a second star, then there shouldn’t be any hesitation if the goal is to win a title.

How the Hawks handle Danilo Gallinari’s partially guaranteed $21.5 million contract could provide some insight on how they plan on navigating the luxury tax. If they simply waive him, the Hawks will pay him just $5 million. If that happens, to me, it would signal an avoidance of the tax; they would be under the tax by $13 million after the move. But if the Hawks package Gallinari in a trade and acquire fully guaranteed salary in return, it would signal that the franchise is serious about bolstering the roster and money isn’t an issue.

Ultimately, Ressler’s comments on the tax weren’t any different than what he’s previously said on the topic: He’ll pay it if it’s necessary and warranted, like if the Hawks add a star this offseason.“

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is precisely why bringing in more expensive players like Gobert/Ayton made no sense.  The solution is easy to me, Cut Gallo and resign cheap bench players and wait until the following year to sort things out.  Hopefully the salary cap continues to rise

That's never going to happen with Atlanta. Hunter and Okongwu are next 

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Cam was next too. You had him penciled in as  receiving one of the Designated rookie max extensions this offseason. How'd that work out?

Both Hunter and OO need to show they can both STAY on the floor for a full season.

LMAO, you wildin right now. Extremely wildin

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That's never going to happen with Atlanta. Hunter and Okongwu are next 

Hunter will make $5-7 mil more than he is making now. Okungwu is not due until 2 years from now. Capela and Bogi could be gone by then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Indeed.  Hunter is not a sure thing to be getting paid.  Guy's gotta show he can stay healthy.

And how or why is OO viewed so highly?  I hate to say this because I'm a fan.   But folks gotta tamp down the enthusiasm there.  He's very much a work in progress.

LMAO, Atlanta is already working out an extension with Hunter reps right now. He's the only one they wouldn't trade outside of Okongwu who shouldn't be moved for obvious reasons. This team isn't in cap hell but they will be. They should still run it back and bring in a vet like Bazemore. 

See where things are around all star break. If they are legit, keep them together, if they are mid, trade Bogi and JC for cap reasons. If they are bad, tank and sit everyone out for Wemby. 

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Hunter will make $5-7 mil more than he is making now. Okungwu is not due until 2 years from now. Capela and Bogi could be gone by then.

Capela is not going nowhere. 

Just now, NBASupes said:

LMAO, Atlanta is already working out an extension with Hunter reps right now. He's the only one they wouldn't trade outside of Okongwu who shouldn't be moved for obvious reasons. This team isn't in cap hell but they will be. They should still run it back and bring in a vet like Bazemore. 

See where things are around all star break. If they are legit, keep them together, if they are mid, trade Bogi and JC for cap reasons. If they are bad, tank and sit everyone out for Wemby. 

All that tells me is they're trying to make the same mistake on Hunter that ORL made on Isaac.  Not an encouraging sign.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

LMAO, Atlanta is already working out an extension with Hunter reps right now.

Is it guaranteed to happen, No. We've seen sides fail to reach early extensions before, so it doesn't mean much to me today as we discuss LT ramifications.

• Like 1