• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Games Missed Due To Injury

benhillboy

• Moderators
18 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Even by that metric Hawks are league average.  Average the two and the Hawks are bottom third; there just isn’t anything to complain about relative to the rest of the league.

Why would you ever average the two?  The total dollars already accounts for games played.  (Total dollars is based on how much the people who have missed games earn per games multiplied by the games they have missed so it already accounts for both how much people are earning and total games missed). If you then average that with games played you end up double counting just like you would if you looked at where we rank on median salary per missed game and averaged that with where we rank on total dollars.  You should just look at the total dollars. 

As you point out, total dollars still leaves the Hawks as the #13 team in the league so we aren't some huge outlier.  I do think that the our diminished depth this season makes those absences tougher to bear than for some other teams.  JJ hasn't broken out yet; JHol has been hot garbage; Frank has been unplayable most of the time; Forrest, Martin and Krijc might as well not be counted; our 15th roster spot still hasn't played a game yet; etc.  When a key player goes down we frequently don't have viable depth to cover for their absence which is hard to stomach given that our roster has a history of health issues (Bogi, CC, OO, JJ, and Hunter) and had known health issues coming into the season (Bogi and JC).  Our refusal to risk paying the tax was what led to both a lack of depth at the wing  (we'll never forget game 7, Huerter!) and in the frontcourt.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

by what measure?   I feel like your judging on how well they play their role not how effective they are.    If you're picking players for your team are you taking Capela first?

I'm talking about in terms of impact to team performance when he plays. Of course I wouldn't pick him to start a team he is 28 and has a chronic achilles injury, but this year he ranks first in ws per 48mins WAR per 48 mins, Net Raptor, Defensive Raptor (ranks third in the NBA) first in simple Orating, and defensive Rating, and second in VORP per 48 mins on the team. Before he got hurt last three weeks Hawks ranked 11th in Drating and in just 8 or 9 games that has gone down to 14th and we are 4-10 in games he doesn't play and out of those 14 games outside of just 2 games  we basically played our starting lineups + OO in place of cap and we've had an average margin of defeat of -6. -Basically we have been abysmal in games Cap has missed and the rest of the starters have played. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, AHF said:

By PER it is a dead heat:

21.8 for Trae

21.7 for Clint

WS/48 is clear win for Clint

.197 for Clint (best on the team)

.115 for Trae (next best starter)

RAPTOR is another win for Clint

Clint has the best Box Score / On-Off / and Overall RAPTOR numbers for the team (Trae is second)

WAR is another win for Clint if pro-rated based on minutes played (Trae leads the team in WAR with CC second but CC has a bit higher contribution per minute played)

Trae has Clint in BPM and VORP (while VORP is a cumulative stat Trae still has higher number on a pro-rated basis)

So you can definitely make the case that CC is a top 2 player and possibly even the most impactful this season.  I personally would put him #2 noting the bump that big men get in a lot of these metrics for taking a higher % of shots close to the basket and the nice bump that gives to efg%.

Big thing is the defense though. That's why I think he is easily #1 this year (and Trae is not). Defensive impact is hard to quantify but Raptor has him as a DPOY candidate and the results the last few weeks defensively with a practically full squad - Clint have been awful so I think it adds up. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Big thing is the defense though. That's why I think he is easily #1 this year (and Trae is not). Defensive impact is hard to quantify but Raptor has him as a DPOY candidate and the results the last few weeks defensively with a practically full squad - Clint have been awful so I think it adds up. 

He has been highly impactful on our defense and our W/L record since he came here.  I agree with you about his clear value.  If we are debating #1 vs #2, I don't think we disagree on the core issue of what his absence means for the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2