Play-In watch! Now Pre-Game Thread.

JayBirdHawk

2 hours ago, 909 said:

How is Orlando still alive?

If they win out, they're 38 - 44.

If Chicago loses out, they're 38 - 44

Orlando won the season series 2 - 1.

Orlando gets the 10th spot.

We do NOT want to face Orlando in a 9 vs 10 play-in game, despite us winning the season series 3 - 1.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, 909 said:

But why hasn’t the Hawks not clinched a play in spot? What scenario could happen to knock them out?

It is weird, but as @ShooterSays said (that sounds funny with the tag lol) we can still finish 6th. Same reason Miami hasn’t “clinched yet.” Opposite of Chicago who hasn’t clinched because they could still drop out completely. Once we cannot finish 6th, we will clinch our play in spot.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, 909 said:

Why has Toronto already clinched, but the Hawks haven’t?

Because they must have no shot to make it to #6. They are 100% a play in team, while we and Miami have a slight chance of moving up. I think you are overthinking it. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Regarding our final opponents, and TOR who is our competition for the #8...

- WAS has been eliminated from Play-In with their loss vs. MIL tonight. And it sounds like they may have already packed up for the year since Beal, Porzingis and pretty much every other decent player in their rotation didn't play.

- Pretty decent chance that PHI is locked in to the #3 slot by Friday... and that we're still playing for something.

- BOS has something to play for in their FRI home game vs. TOR on Wed, and possibly on Fri as well.

- Pretty decent chance that BOS is locked-in to the #2 slot by Sunday... and that we're still playing for something.

All of those scenarios weigh in our favor, but of course, none of that means anything this year. Ours is a good team but not one that can just show up and win no matter what.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Brooklyn swept the season series against Miami, so they hold the tie-breaker against them and are unlikely to drop below them. They are only separated by one game though, and I wonder which team I would rather face if we finish 8th. 

Toronto - @ Boston, @ Boston, Milwaukee 

Miami - @ Philly, @ Washington, Orlando

Brooklyn - @ Detroit, Orlando, Philly

If we handle business tonight at home against Washington, I honestly see the standings playing out as they are today. Crazier things have happened though. 

• Premium Member

BOS winning tonight over TOR means:

- TOR must win their final two games, and ATL lose their final two games in order for TOR to claim the #8 slot

- Unfortunately, neither of TOR's two opponents, BOS nor MIL, have anything to play for

- Fortunately, of course, BOS is one of our two remaining opponents, too

- If PHI defeats MIA tomorrow night, they too will be locked in to their playoff slot and without any playoff consequence riding on their game with us Friday

• Like 1

Still a slight chance Miami gets the sixth seed, meaning we'd play the Nets if we wind up 8th.  I'd take my chances against the Nets more so than the Heat.

On 3/26/2023 at 9:21 PM, Spud2nique said:

and face the Celts in a 7/2 matchup and Adam Silver builds more drama 🎭 lines with the tradition and history of the two franchises and well as Marcus Smart being a real piece of work defending Trae. 

ps We knock them out in 7 in Boston. 🧊 Trae hits the winner in the aforementioned Smart’s mug ☕️ 

Let’s go!!!!

• Like 3

• 11 months later...