• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks secure #7 Seed vs C's

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Before the series started...

I listened to GA talking about the Celtics.   He made this true statement...

The league has let the Celtics get away with playing 2 SGs at SF and PF. 

We say that the Celtics are big and they look big... but 

Tatum...  6'8  210 playing PF.

Brown.... 6'6" 223 playing SF. 

If matched up with JC and Hunter... we have a significant size advantage.   We're actually much bigger.  It just so happens that JC and Hunter are not players whose numbers we call alot.   Maybe instead of defensive play, we should think about forcing the issue on offense by scoring with our BIG WINGS in the post on clear outs. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Before the series started...

I listened to GA talking about the Celtics.   He made this true statement...

The league has let the Celtics get away with playing 2 SGs at SF and PF. 

We say that the Celtics are big and they look big... but 

Tatum...  6'8  210 playing PF.

Brown.... 6'6" 223 playing SF. 

If matched up with JC and Hunter... we have a significant size advantage.   We're actually much bigger.  It just so happens that JC and Hunter are not players whose numbers we call alot.   Maybe instead of defensive play, we should think about forcing the issue on offense by scoring with our BIG WINGS in the post on clear outs. 

The difference is both Brown and Tatum are more natural scorers that can handle the ball AND provide consistent play making, they are offensively superior in creating their own offense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The difference is both Brown and Tatum are more natural scorers that can handle the ball AND provide consistent play making, they are offensively superior in creating their own offense.

I agree.  It's the missing part of the argument.   They have 4 SGs and a C on the court.   Smart, Brown, Tatum, and White are all ball handling SGs.   They start at 6'4 190 and go to 6'8" 210... With a couple of 220 lbers in the middle.  Everybody can shoot and everybody can handle the ball and Tatum and Brown can create their own offense. 

But Defensively... how do they manage this... when they have to face Lopez, Middleton and Giannis.  Or Embiid, Harris, and Tucker.  You would think it would be easier to work their best players... i.e. make them work on defense.  Boston has Marcus Smart, who is an excellent defender, but what about everybody else.   If JC or Hunter were trustable in Isolation.. I would go Iso and go to them the whole game... But you can't trust either of them in an ISo situation.  I mean JC on the blocks is good money... but he can't get there on his own. 

• Premium Member

Beware of Jayson Tatum getting downhill.   After the TO Play. 

Beware of Unexpected players getting the shot...

Here's Grant Williams gets the final shot.  It's a Celtics setup ATO...  Notice how they spread the floor.  But notice how Utah counters but leaving their big inside to stop all things inside.  There's nobody on the inbounder.   With 5 seconds left, you would think that inbounder inbounds and the person who gets the ball passes it back to the inbounder for the wide open shot?  But it looks like they trapped Williams after he got the ball.   The old Dikembe Funnel play.. where the ball is funnelled to the Big down low.   I think that's Markkenan?  He seems to slip but in doing so, he prevents the ball from going back to the inbounder easily.. and the corner defender also comes in to complete a trap.  It's interesting. 

Then there's this..

I'm going to call Josh Hart a Celtics Killer.   I don't know if that is true or not.. but these highlights show a few things:

1.  If you pick up the Pace, you can catch Boston's Defense asleep. 

2.  If you penetrate (dribble penetration) especially with somebody not being guarded by Smart... While Boston is scramble switching, you can get up a good corner three (last play). 

For us, I think DJ would have to be able to do what we see Josh Hart doing right here...  Picking up the pace... and B.  Dribble penetration.   These are things that he's built for. 

• Moderators

Sounds defeatist but i'm looking to take 2 games from these guys.  Sweep or gentleman's sweep will suck.   we get 2, especially if we can tie the series 2-2 then I'll feel like we did well.  What a crummy season.  Thank god we have a change in coaching to look forward to and hopefully some bold moves by Landry & Co. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Sounds defeatist but i'm looking to take 2 games from these guys.  Sweep or gentleman's sweep will suck.   we get 2, especially if we can tie the series 2-2 then I'll feel like we did well.  What a crummy season.  Thank god we have a change in coaching to look forward to and hopefully some bold moves by Landry & Co. 

Sounds realist to me. I’m right there with you. 

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I really Hope the City shows up for Atlanta Friday...  Because it's Friday... and they ain't got shit to do..

They should get Chris Tucker to reenact that for pub for the game...  It's Friday.. and You ain't got ---- to do..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I'll be the first to admit I don't want to drop that kind of cash on this playoff game.   I'm optimistic we win but there's a high likelihood we don't and i'm out hundreds of dollars and listening to a bunch of Boston assholes before they drive back home to alpharetta.  

• Haha 2