• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks secure #7 Seed vs C's

JayBirdHawk

Brogdon and White’s FT rates match John and Dre’s.  Only difference is they’re BU combo guards smh.  Trae and OO gonna have to maximize their FT attempts to account for the rest of the team’s lackluster visits to the stripe.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

If Smart and Grant Williams

Smart, yes. He's never been a serious 3 pt shooting asset.

But GWilliams has a 38.5% clip on his resume for this season, which is only a half-point better than his career number.

Interestingly, the most celebrated Cs, Tatum and Brown, are doing 35.0 and 33.5 respectively from the arc... both down substantially from their career numbers of 37.5 and 36.5.

The common thread I see in C's losses is Tatum failing to shoot well from 3.

A lot of times a strategy can be to say, "Well, [insert All-Star player's name here] is going to get his points, so you just try to limit everyone else." I believe the lesson to be taken in this case, though, is to do all we can to keep Tatum from getting into any rhythm out there. To me, that means you keep fresh tall bodies on him all you can... think I'd play Yeka on him especially all that I possibly could.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

About the matchup...  I will be seriously disappointed if Brown plays and nobody slaps at his hand when he has the ball. 

I know Dre will be the one standing in front of Brown.. to start.   IF Dre' don't reach back into the Karl Malone Slap Pack and try to Wahoo McDaniel Thunder Chop the ball out of Brown's hand in game 1, I will be so freaking threw with him...

It has nothing to do with stats or sportsmanship... It has everything to do with you have the audacity to come out and play against us with a broken wing.  I know he's from Atlanta but for the audacity, he has to be tuned up. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

The undercurrent to this season is and always has been 3pt shooting on offense and POA on defense.  Despite some folks denial of the first fact.  When you consistently give up more 3pt makes than the opponent, it's exceedingly difficult to win.  

The Hawks are 30-10 when they have equal or more 3pt Makes.  They are 4-23 when they are -3 or worse on 3pt Makes.  

I'm still throwing out everything from the RS.  We get a chance to change the narrative.   The question is can we?  The one thing I would love to see Changed is the ease that people have coming down the lane and scoring.   I know that Tatum is licking his chops thinking about his layup line scores.   We have to stop it without fouling. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'm still throwing out everything from the RS.  We get a chance to change the narrative.   The question is can we?  The one thing I would love to see Changed is the ease that people have coming down the lane and scoring.   I know that Tatum is licking his chops thinking about his layup line scores.   We have to stop it without fouling. 

I agree with this with one exception. That is, we don't have a team full of capable 3pt MAKERS.  We ended the year better than we started for sure, but we still have fairly streaky shooters.  Not much in the way of consistency.  I'm not sure there's much Q can do to get guys to MAKE more 3s.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I agree with this with one exception. That is, we don't have a team full of capable 3pt MAKERS.  We ended the year better than we started for sure, but we still have fairly streaky shooters.  Not much in the way of consistency.  I'm not sure there's much Q can do to get guys to MAKE more 3s.  

I think we have to be strategic with the three.   What I mean is only high percentage shooters. 

I see Bogi, Bey, and DJ as a given.  To that short list I would add JC and Hunter and JJ...  But that's basically it unless AJ gets in the game.  I would limit Trae's threes to when he can use it strategically or when he's not rushed. 

Hunter and JC and JJ  has a yellow light.   I would rather see them crashing the boards. 

The three ball is a great weapon but I think sometimes, bad shooting teams become too reliant on it.   I don't want to see that be us.   We're the best 2 pt FG% team in the land... we should make great use of that.  Pound Boston with high FG% and 2nd chance points.   Get the threes in the flow of the game.  But we shouldn't be hunting the three...

6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think we have to be strategic with the three.   What I mean is only high percentage shooters. 

I see Bogi, Bey, and DJ as a given.  To that short list I would add JC and Hunter and JJ...  But that's basically it unless AJ gets in the game.  I would limit Trae's threes to when he can use it strategically or when he's not rushed. 

Hunter and JC and JJ  has a yellow light.   I would rather see them crashing the boards. 

The three ball is a great weapon but I think sometimes, bad shooting teams become too reliant on it.   I don't want to see that be us.   We're the best 2 pt FG% team in the land... we should make great use of that.  Pound Boston with high FG% and 2nd chance points.   Get the threes in the flow of the game.  But we shouldn't be hunting the three...

You just listed 8 of the 10 rotation guys that could or should be taking 3's.  That's not exactly limiting the 3 ball.  They need to take rhythm 3s and good shots set up by ball movement.  And then they need to MAKE them at a higher clip.  You are correct in saying we are a bad shooting team.  That's what I don't think Q is going to have a coaching answer for unless Kyle gets in there and really fixes some things with the guys.  

I know we are the tops in the NBA in 2pt shooting this season, but what does that get us?  A 41-41 record.  The numbers don't lie.  30-10 in games where the Hawks MADE equal or more 3's than the opponent and 4-23 when they were -3 or worse.  They were basically .500 when they were -1 or -2.  

Conversely, they were 14-20 when they were equal or minus on 2pt Makes and only 27-21 when they made more 2pts than the opponent.  It's just easier for the 3pt shot to make up for 2pt shot than vice versa.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

About the matchup...  I will be seriously disappointed if Brown plays and nobody slaps at his hand when he has the ball. 

They've gotta pressure his ball handling, he is not strong as a ball handler to begin with.

• Like 3

On 4/13/2023 at 6:14 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae has been struggling from 3 over his last 5 games including the Play-In. It's not pretty

3-28 for 10.7% 🤢

Screenshot_20230413_190920_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 for 28 is absolutely horrible

7 for 28 ( 25% ) sounds better, but still bad

On the flip side, he made 55 out of 63 FTs.  And he shot 50% from the field twice for Terrell.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Jody23 said:

Something to watch...isn't Trae still one technical away from a one game suspension?  Marcus Smart is going to try and bait him and the refs are going to be eager to give him one.

Regular season techs don’t carrryover to thr postseason.  Trae has a clean sheet.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I'm confident.  I felt all year that we were a better team than our record showed.  I think we're going to win this series and I think that if we play up to our ability, it will be a decisive win.

👀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1