• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just curious about your opinion on something

Wurider05

If everything on this team stayed the exact same on this team player wise and we swapped out Trae for Kyrie Irving--would we be substantially better? I am referring to the not crazy version of Kyrie. How would a Kyrie/Murray backcourt work for you all?  Plus it would give Trae a chance to play with his buddy Luka. Not wanting this trade but am just curious. 

• Moderators

IMO, we would definitely not be substantially better.  And I don't think the non-crazy version of Kyrie exists in 2023.  He has been a train wreck for a while now.  Still an extremely talented scorer but I'm going to be fascinated to see what the market for him looks like this off-season.  Buyer beware.  You might get exactly what Brooklyn and Dallas got.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

No.

I don't think you can separate the not-crazy part. It's part of who is is.

Even before his Nets/Mavs stints - think back to his Boston days, he was not successful there as the lead guy. His success came with playing with LBJ, and he balked at that and still wanted out.

• Admin

Kyrie is EASILY the most overrated player in the NBA.  He believes his own hype but doesn't deliver.  He has a huge attitude problem and has been a distraction/locker room problem with Boston and Brooklyn.  Although he is an excellent scorer ... he really brings nothing else to the table.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I wouldn't trade Kyrie for Trae even if Kyrie wasn't 'crazy'.   Kyrie is 31 years old.  His best years are way behind him.  I don't expect him to be in the league in 3 years.  

Trae maybe the most underrated player in the league honestly.   I was just talking to some actual NBA fans who live in Atlanta and they are just going on and on about Jokic's passing.  Yeah he's an amazing passer but Trae is too.  No one talks about it.  

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Trae maybe the most underrated player in the league honestly. 

This.  And it's mind-boggling.  There's even a segment of our own fans that seem to clamor for the day with the Hawks finally "get rid of him" as if he's some plague on the franchise.  He deserves better.  

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

If everything on this team stayed the exact same on this team player wise and we swapped out Trae for Kyrie Irving--would we be substantially better? I am referring to the not crazy version of Kyrie. How would a Kyrie/Murray backcourt work for you all?  Plus it would give Trae a chance to play with his buddy Luka. Not wanting this trade but am just curious. 

IF we could forget that Kyrie hates playing basketball...

Let me first answer your question with a question...

Why didn't Kyrie and Luka make the playoffs. 

Kyrie + Luka = 8 - 12...

They went from 5th place in the West to out of the Playin...

How?

It wasn't because of any of Kyrie's idiosyncrasies.  It's because Kyrie is hard to match.  Him and Lebron really had no sync.  It was your turn my turn.  He didn't work in Cleveland before Bron.. but he was by himself.  He was a complete failure in Boston and Brooklyn. 

I don't know why people believe that he would help anything.  He makes great plays but he's not a great player. 

I do not want to trade Trae especially that we now have a coach he likes and that coach is very capable of brining out the best in Trae.

Now is the time to keep our young core fairly intact to grow with coach Quinn.

We should just do some minor roster improvements but under no circumstances should we move Trae. It's silly and I'm just tired of the click bait trade crap that always surrounds players on this team.