• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

6 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

How do you know that was on the table?

It was reported somewhere..

The Hawks wanted Josh Green included, so the Mavs said no thanks... 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, terrell said:

It was reported somewhere..

The Hawks wanted Josh Green included, so the Mavs said no thanks... 

I remember this being reported also.

2 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Bridges would be a nice add. I like the idea of these long, veteran dudes.

For the #1 pick?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

You managed to contradict yourself before I even got to respond.  A better player can absolutely lead to worse results if the fit is worse.

This is fair.  I didn't specify that better means better for the team. I think you know that all the best 5 man lineups have OO in them instead of CC and that was the case the year before as well.  This would seem to suggest OO is the better fit and better player for the Hawks.  But I could be wrong.  Now make your case that the fit with OO is worse. 

(Again, CC can play every minute in whatever lineup best suits him.  This is about whether OO gets more minutes than CC.)

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, terrell said:

Falcons made the right decision IMO... We'll see I guess..

Fans never agree with long term decision making if it means there is some short term sacrifice.  You see it in all sports fandoms, only thing anyone cares about is the coming season or the next game.  

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Fans never agree with long term decision making if it means there is some short term sacrifice.  You see it in all sports fandoms, only thing anyone cares about is the coming season or the next game.  

For the Falcons it is especially complicated because the guy they drafted has already suffered 4 season ending injuries and is already 24 years old and projects to be sitting for two years (26 is very old for a first time starter).  There is also some whiplash after fans were basically told "we're ready to contend right now!" after Cousins was signed and then they see the top pick being someone who won't play for at least 2 years if things go according to plan.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

For the Falcons it is especially complicated because the guy they drafted has already suffered 4 season ending injuries and is already 24 years old and projects to be sitting for two years (26 is very old for a first time starter).  There is also some whiplash after fans were basically told "we're ready to contend right now!" after Cousins was signed and then they see the top pick being someone who won't play for at least 2 years if things go according to plan.

26 inst that old since you can barely touch a QB anymore.. If we get 2 good years of Cousins and 10 yrs of Penix we don't have to worry about the QB position until 2036.. Sounds good to me considering what we've witnessed over the last few years..... lol

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, terrell said:

This could be short team move too if  they feel KIrk isn't the same player as he was before the injury after this season, or if he goes down during the season(knock on wood), We now have a backup plan.. Who the heck wants to see Heniekie again? lol.

Moving on from Kirk in the short term would be an absolute train wreck with $100,000,000 in guaranteed money.  Injury insurance makes sense (although a guy with 4 season ending injuries may not be the best injury insurance on the market).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Moving on from Kirk in the short term would be an absolute train wreck with $100,000,000 in guaranteed money.  Injury insurance makes sense (although a guy with 4 season ending injuries may not be the best injury insurance on the market).

Yeah I was talking about a trade where the other team paid some of his guaranteed $..lol

Falcons can move on easily after 2 yrs though..3 rd yr is just 10 mill..

Yeah Hopefully Penix is over the injury bug..

He's been healthy for the last 2 yrs..

Injuries can happen to anybody though..

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, terrell said:

26 inst that old since you can barely touch a QB anymore.. If we get 2 good years of Cousins and 10 yrs of Penix we don't have to worry about the QB position until 2036.. Sounds good to me considering what we've witnessed over the last few years..... lol

If Penix turns into a franchise QB, it will be a great move regardless of when he steps into the role or anything else.  Star QBs are hard to find so it almost doesn't matter how you do it if you do it.  That said, most QBs are busts and there is no shortage of busts among even first round picks.  If Penix doesn't turn into a stud, this will be a waste of a pick.  That is the nature of all highly drafted QBs but it is highlighted more because the Falcons just signed their QB for $180M.

As far as expectations, remember that this is what Cousins was telling the media and the fans:

"As we talked with Atlanta, it felt like this was a place where, if I play at the level I expect to play, that I can retire a Falcon. That was something that really excited me and that's certainly the goal. You've got to earn the right to do that, but that was exciting to feel like I could get that opportunity here."

The whiplash for fans was understandable and predictable, imo.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

If Penix turns into a franchise QB, it will be a great move regardless of when he steps into the role or anything else.  Star QBs are hard to find so it almost doesn't matter how you do it if you do it.  That said, most QBs are busts and there is no shortage of busts among even first round picks.  If Penix doesn't turn into a stud, this will be a waste of a pick.  That is the nature of all highly drafted QBs but it is highlighted more because the Falcons just signed their QB for $180M.

As far as expectations, remember that this is what Cousins was telling the media and the fans:

KIrk was going wherever he could get the most $.. lol

That's what he's always done..

He's never been known as a "franchise guy" imo

Just a well paid bridge type..

He would've stayed in Minnesota if they would've guaranteed more than 1 yr...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, terrell said:

Meh.. KIrk was going wherever he could get the most $.. lol

That's what he's always done..

He would've stayed in Minnesota if they would've guaranteed more than 1 yr...

I agree.  He has always been about the money.  Just saying for fans this was a quick "we've got our guy and gave him a massive contract and he is talking about winning a Super Bowl and retiring in Atlanta!" to "but if he is still our QB after the next two seasons are over something has gone terribly wrong."

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree.  He has always been about the money.  Just saying for fans this was a quick "we've got our guy and gave him a massive contract and he is talking about winning a Super Bowl and retiring in Atlanta!" to "but if he is still our QB after the next two seasons are over something has gone terribly wrong."

If he's still our QB after 2 yrs, we won a SB or close to it.. lol

They made it basically a 2 yr deal for a reason..

I think AB just wanted to get back to being relevant again when they signed Kirk.. It wasn't just about going "ALL IN".

And then TF and RM fell in love with Penix after meetng and talking with him and just couldn't pass on him.. 

I still don't believe any of those D guys(Turner, Lauitu, etc) would've taken us over the top.. I actually had Trice as a late 1st rdr and Dorlus as a late 2nd 3rd rdr. I think they'll be steals for us.. I didn't know much about Ruke, but my nephew(Nuk Hopkins)who told me AJ was going to be good, had some good things to say about him...Says he's the best run stopper in the draft and strong as an Ox....And he reminds him of a young Grady Jarrett(who he played with)...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1