• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I’m not doing this again lol. Picks are good. You can speculate where they end up but New Orleans has a bunch of picks; their own, Milwaukee, and a lakers pick. Any choice of them is good and I view Murray as a stepping stone to make another deal. Murray straight up for a star or impact player is very unlikely to happen (could but unlikely). 

This season is a wash. They could get 7 seed and maybe make a fluke run but getting assets in a Murray deal to use to facilitate the next deal is not a bad thing. Grade the trade however you want for the short term but when those assets are flipped for player x I think you’ll change your mind 

When you show me picks that will actually move the needle to get the next player I'll be excited.  Things like the 2029 Lakers pick won't be enough.  (Obviously if it was the Lakers would have already flipped it for that kind of player.)  This is the whole point of the discussion.  Will the picks we get be enough to motivate a team to deal us a star.

This is what I'm seeing that New Orleans has:

2024 Lakers Pick* - Projected at #14 - Mid value due to weak draft and good odds of ending up outside the lottery

2024 Pelicans Pick w/ Mil Pick Swap - Projected at #21 - Low value due to weak draft and position  (ability to swap with Bucks in 2024 is worthless)

2025 Bucks Pick - Projected mid to late 20's - Mid value due to strong draft combined with bad projected position

2025 Pelicans Pick - Projected mid 20's (with DJM) - Mid value due to strong draft combined with bad projected position

2026 Pelicans Pick w/ Mil Pick Swap - Projected to be late pick but real upside - Mid to solid value due to possibility that either NO or Mil has a terrible season

2027 Bucks Pick - Hard to project - Solid value due to uncertainty about the future of the Bucks discounted for being 3 years away

2027 Pelicans Pick - Hard to project - Solid value due to uncertainty about the future of the Pelicans discounted for being 3 years away

This is how I view them as a baseline for value.  Any protection of these picks reduces their value beyond that.  What is good about New Orleans is they have a real volume of assets and as you get a few years out that opens the door to one of these picks being a lottery pick.  

This is why I'm asking which picks.  Because it makes a HUGE difference which picks we are talking about for how likely those picks are to land a star.  It is not like "two first round picks" are just inherently equal in value.  For example, if you are talking about the Pelicans 2024 pick (with added protection for top 15; converts to two seconds if doesn't convey) combined with the Bucks 2025 pick these don't add up to a lot of trade value because (a) you can fairly reliably project where the Pelicans will finish this year and how strong the Bucks will be next year and (b) the 2024 draft does not have a lot of value.  If you are talking about unprotected 2026 and 2027 picks then those have much more value since the spectrum of reasonable performance expectations is much much wider.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Also stop putting Trey murphy in your trade packages. That is a not even a conversation starter

It's not. That's what's so funny. Trey hasn't ever been on the table. Atlanta and NO are really far away but both teams have a lot of players the other team covets. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

3rd in the west?  Really?  

None of us know IF they are going to trade, but reports say they want OO and DJ so they have to at least match those salaries.  Doesn't mean they trade BI or Zion but they have to trade someone if the report is true.  

My Bad.. They have dropped to 7th in the West with a 29-21 record.  They were 5th yesterday behind Denver.  It's a dogfight in there with then the Kings and the Suns.  Point is... Just like nobody is saying that the Kings want to make big moves, the Pels are not in the NEED to make big moves unless it is to move BI because he asked for a trade this summer (Even if that's real). 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say there's a negative chance of us trading OO unless we have a plan locked in for our Center of the future.

Is OO really the center of the future anyways?  He's a weird tweener imo, does some center stuff well, does a little PF things but not really, just awkward size/skillset combo.  Love him though.  Ingram would be really interesting if they had any appetite to move him.

But I cannot see NO making more than fringe moves -- most of these conversations would likely have to continue into the offseason.  They're playing good ball right now and their team is healthy.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Also stop putting Trey murphy in your trade packages. That is a not even a conversation starter

Wait so what is the deal?  Herb Jones and picks for DJ?   How is that attractive to us?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Is OO really the center of the future anyways?  He's a weird tweener imo, does some center stuff well, does a little PF things but not really, just awkward size/skillset combo.  Love him though.  Ingram would be really interesting if they had any appetite to move him.

But I cannot see NO making more than fringe moves -- most of these conversations would likely have to continue into the offseason.  They're playing good ball right now and their team is healthy.

Makes you wonder if they'd push all their chips in because Zion is actually healthy.  It might be one of their only opportunities to cash in on that.  I was invited to a Pels game in a suite.  It was Ja's return game and their crowd was rowdy.  They showed up and showed out.  They are a mid-market team that isn't a FA destination so just like ATL after that ECF run, you sometimes do questionable long-term things to cash in on the short-term.  Sometimes they pan out.  Sometimes they don't.  Shoot your shot NO.  Overpay for DJ and OO. 

I also question how the org views OO as the long-term plan at Center. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Wait so what is the deal?  Herb Jones and picks for DJ?   How is that attractive to us?

Jones is a long, athletic defender that's hitting 40% of his 3's.  If we are going to build around Trae, you need defenders with length that can hit open shots.  With his creation skills, you'll get shots. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This is my sentiment also.   The only real way to make OO work is to put him beside a 7 footer who has an outside shooting game.   For instance, he would work well with Porzingis.   KP and OO would be a 5 and 4 combo that would bring the big man back.    Now if it ever became possible to trade OO, DJ, filler for Brown it would be a win win for everybody. 

KP, OO, Tatum, DJ, and White would be a dangerous starting 5. 

The Brown and Trae Backcourt would be hellish.  I mean Trae, Brown, Hunter, JJ, and CC (Clint for now)... would be Murderous to teams because JJ can handle the ball.   Never let Brown run the offense. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Then we are throwing in OO too just for shits and giggles???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

When you show me picks that will actually move the needle to get the next player I'll be excited.  Things like the 2029 Lakers pick won't be enough.  (Obviously if it was the Lakers would have already flipped it for that kind of player.)  This is the whole point of the discussion.  Will the picks we get be enough to motivate a team to deal us a star.

This is what I'm seeing that New Orleans has:

2024 Lakers Pick* - Projected at #14 - Mid value due to weak draft and good odds of ending up outside the lottery

2024 Pelicans Pick w/ Mil Pick Swap - Projected at #21 - Low value due to weak draft and position  (ability to swap with Bucks in 2024 is worthless)

2025 Bucks Pick - Projected mid to late 20's - Mid value due to strong draft combined with bad projected position

2025 Pelicans Pick - Projected mid 20's (with DJM) - Mid value due to strong draft combined with bad projected position

2026 Pelicans Pick w/ Mil Pick Swap - Projected to be late pick but real upside - Mid to solid value due to possibility that either NO or Mil has a terrible season

2027 Bucks Pick - Hard to project - Solid value due to uncertainty about the future of the Bucks discounted for being 3 years away

2027 Pelicans Pick - Hard to project - Solid value due to uncertainty about the future of the Pelicans discounted for being 3 years away

This is how I view them as a baseline for value.  Any protection of these picks reduces their value beyond that.  What is good about New Orleans is they have a real volume of assets and as you get a few years out that opens the door to one of these picks being a lottery pick.  

This is why I'm asking which picks.  Because it makes a HUGE difference which picks we are talking about for how likely those picks are to land a star.  It is not like "two first round picks" are just inherently equal in value.  For example, if you are talking about the Pelicans 2024 pick (with added protection for top 15; converts to two seconds if doesn't convey) combined with the Bucks 2025 pick these don't add up to a lot of trade value because (a) you can fairly reliably project where the Pelicans will finish this year and how strong the Bucks will be next year and (b) the 2024 draft does not have a lot of value.  If you are talking about unprotected 2026 and 2027 picks then those have much more value since the spectrum of reasonable performance expectations is much much wider.

I don't know which of the 2 picks it is but I do know it is not the 2024 picks. Would assume its a pels pick in 2025/2026/2027 and one of the bucks picks

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Jones has less self creation skills than Dre. You really want that for Murray who's an elite #3. 

Exactly.  I like Jones but not as a swap out for DJ.   I mean what are we doing here.  The guy has started almost every game of his career and averages under 10 points.  Yeah we need defense but we need creation, especially in the clutch. 

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm guessing something like Vuc+Herb + pick(s)

Just now, macdaddy said:

I mean what are we doing here.

Hawks are negotiating.  There's no deal signed so I think that is the answer to your question lol

• Haha 2