• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I've been watching the 2024 NBA Draft class and it's been... weaker than usual

NBASupes

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The Hawks could have wanted Cam but Houston wanted him. It was just for 20. The player I was told Atlanta wanted was Gueye at 20 as well. So it's fair to say, Gueye was and still is sky high on their board

Yeah they high as heck on Gueye. I think they in theory have him penciled as the backup forward for next year especially now that saddiq will miss most of the season 

Tristan Da Silva is a very interesting player I have my eye on for the draft. 6-9 combo forward that’s a high level cutter, can shoot the ball, and excellent team defender. Upper class man too who is ready to contribute early. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Yeah they high as heck on Gueye. I think they in theory have him penciled as the backup forward for next year especially now that saddiq will miss most of the season 

Tristan Da Silva is a very interesting player I have my eye on for the draft. 6-9 combo forward that’s a high level cutter, can shoot the ball, and excellent team defender. Upper class man too who is ready to contribute early. 

He's a good player. I've watched a lot of Colorado being a Prime fan and it carrying over into both women's and men's college basketball. Him and Simpson are good players. 

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

His feel for the game is what’s so good to me. If his defender looks away he cuts. Always moving to the open space. Nice forward to pair with jalen 

I looked at some videos and like what I see. I'd be happy with him at the kings pick. I like him for the same reasons I liked the Kobe pick, smart player that can shoot and plays defense with intensity. The fact that he's 6'9 is huge. You have him and Gueye off the bench and our depth gets so much better if he's ready to contribute.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So who had their bracket busted with the Kentucky loss?

Question - Reed and Dillingham doesn't start for KY? Combined they had 13pts, how come? They're supposed to both be top 5 picks?

Whole SEC going down.  1 - 5 in the tourney so far.  Alabama and Texas A&M in grave danger.

Only the Big Orange survived so far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So who had their bracket busted with the Kentucky loss?

Question - Reed and Dillingham doesn't start for KY? Combined they had 13pts, how come? They're supposed to both be top 5 picks?

If you look at the rankings as prospects coming out of high school, I am pretty sure Calipari promised a few of those guys starting roles.  Our starters routinely dig holes for the team over the course of the season and Cal always gave people plenty of minutes irrespective of how they actually performed as a unit.  If you look at the lineups that were positive for UK, they were consistent throughout the season and you see the same with the Oakland game.  I just don’t think Calipari’s top priority is winning games as much as recruiting top guys and preparing them for the NBA.  I think he gets more out of how many guys end up as first round picks than he does seeing the team win games in the postseason.  While UK has disappointed in recent years, this is an especially bitter loss for the UK fans.  Many are done with Calipari (although with his lifetime contract that doesn’t mean he is done with UK).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Donovan Clingan was flat out dominate last night. You watch Northwestern vs Uconn compared some of these other teams with notable bigs and you jus see how excellent on defense he is. Hawks getting 48 minutes of quality center play is something any Trae team needs and getting a much bigger and different style big to O is exactly what the hawks need

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Donovan Clingan was flat out dominate last night. You watch Northwestern vs Uconn compared some of these other teams with notable bigs and you jus see how excellent on defense he is. Hawks getting 48 minutes of quality center play is something any Trae team needs and getting a much bigger and different style big to O is exactly what the hawks need

He's been balling and is definitely an great fit with Trae. He's balanced offensively and defensively. Like everyone in this draft, he has question marks but I think he should be a top 5-10 in this draft. I think he's perfect for Memphis. Plays 21mpg which falls in line with how they like to use their bigs in rotation. He's also a really good fit for their perimeter centric style like he has at UCONN when Ja is back next year. Love Clingan and he's moved up to a tier 3.5 as well for the next iteration. 

On 3/23/2024 at 11:31 AM, RedDawg#8 said:

As it stands we are looking at the 10th pick before the lottery draft, as well as Sacramentos pick at around #18

I have a hard time seeing them as a playoff team without Kevin but they will play hard.

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's been balling and is definitely an great fit with Trae. He's balanced offensively and defensively. Like everyone in this draft, he has question marks but I think he should be a top 5-10 in this draft. I think he's perfect for Memphis. Plays 21mpg which falls in line with how they like to use their bigs in rotation. He's also a really good fit for their perimeter centric style like he has at UCONN when Ja is back next year. Love Clingan and he's moved up to a tier 3.5 as well for the next iteration. 

I have a hard time seeing them as a playoff team without Kevin but they will play hard.

Yeah I think hawks will have some competition to draft him. Memphis as you mentioned as one spot and then potentially OKC too who desperately need a big and they have the capital to move up like they've done in years past

Just now, Mikey said:

Yeah I think hawks will have some competition to draft him. Memphis as you mentioned as one spot and then potentially OKC too who desperately need a big and they have the capital to move up like they've done in years past

He's a great fit for a lot of teams that prefer drop coverage teams. He doesn't require much touches. Rim running. Even though he has a weak core, he's a good screener in the sense of Bruno where he makes contact, he's always sprinting up and down the court like young Capela. Plus passer. Doesn't really have a very strong motor but it's a nice motor. Gives max effort when he's in actions. Gets tired fast but gives it all out. Good roller. He's clearly better offensively than Kessler but clearly worse defensively as well. 

I think he maybe on about 5 teams radar when it comes down to it. 

Memphis 

Atlanta

Toronto

Washington

SA

I think OKC will also consider him Even thought their defense isn't a drop coverage style. They are very Modern but for 21 mpg, he would help Chet a ton. 

He just fits man. 

His upcoming pro physical, the stamina, the foot, the core strength are the clear issues. Look at his tankathon.com, one of the best we have seen in decades for true 5s. Him, Kessler, and Edey are something else. 

https://tankathon.com/players/donovan-clingan

His is similar to Kessler 

• Like 1

Listening to The Game Theory Podcast this AM and Sam and his cohost are doing a mock draft.  Draft order was determined by a Tankathon sim:

1. Detroit Pistons - Zach Rissacher, SF, France
  2. Houston Rockets (BKN) - Alex Sarr, C, France
  3. Washington Wizards - Nikola Topic, PG, Serbia
  4. Charlotte Hornets - Reed Shepherd, PG, Kentucky
  5. San Antonio Spurs - Matas Buzelis, SF, Ignite
  6. Portland Trailblazers - Ron Holland, SF, Ignite
  7. San Antonio Spurs - Reed Dillingham, PG, Kentucky
  8. Memphis Grizzlies - Donovan Clingan, C, Connecticut
  9. Utah Jazz - Stephon Castle, SG, Connecticut
  10. Atlanta Hawks - Cody Williams, SF, Colorado

Sam says it's an excellent pick for the Hawks.  Talks about how Cody's upside is much higher than his draft position here.  

• Like 1

If Hawks get a lucky bounce of the ping pong balls and end up with a top 5 pick, who would y’all want? 
What are the top five of your draft board for the Hawks?

Rissacher and Sarr clearly up there. IHDK who 3-5. 
Clingan, Buzelis, and Holland or Cody Williams?

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Listening to The Game Theory Podcast this AM and Sam and his cohost are doing a mock draft.  Draft order was determined by a Tankathon sim:

Sam says it's an excellent pick for the Hawks.  Talks about how Cody's upside is much higher than his draft position here.  

EDIT: Update next few picks. They have the Hawks taking Yves Missi at 18.  In discussing the Missi pick, they say it's a lot harder to determine what the Hawks will do with this pick.  They don't want to add another wing player or back court player.  They make the pick of Missi under the premise that Atlanta will move on from Capela this off season, but they aren't sure Atlanta will actually move on.  

8 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

If Hawks get a lucky bounce of the ping pong balls and end up with a top 5 pick, who would y’all want? 
What are the top five of your draft board for the Hawks?

Rissacher and Sarr clearly up there. IHDK who 3-5. 
Clingan, Buzelis, and Holland or Cody Williams?

I'd probably go Holland.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If Cody Williams falls to the Hawks that would be a massive steal.   That said, he is VERY raw compared to his brother, but also keep in mind that his brother stayed 3 years in college before coming out and CDub is just a freshman. Also dealt with a couple nagging injuries this year.

• Like 1

To recap, picks 1-18 in this mock draft:

2. Houston Rockets - Alex Sarr, C, France
  8. Memphis Grizzliers - Donovan Clingan, C, Connecticut
  10. Atlanta Hawks - Cody Willims, SF, Colorado
  11. Chicago Bulls - Dalton Knecht, SG, Tennessee
  12. Oklahoma City Thunder - Kyle Filipowski, PF, Duke
  13. Portland Trailblazers - Tidjane Salaun, PF, France
  14. New Orleans Pelicans - Jakobe Walter, SG, Baylor
  15. Miami Heat - Jared McCain, PG, Duke
  16. Philadelphia 76ers - Isaiah Collier, PG, USC
  17. Toronto Raptors - Tristan Da Silva, SF, Colorado
  18. Atlanta Hawks - Yves Missi, C, Baylor

15 minutes ago, shakes said:

If Cody Williams falls to the Hawks that would be a massive steal.   That said, he is VERY raw compared to his brother, but also keep in mind that his brother stayed 3 years in college before coming out and CDub is just a freshman. Also dealt with a couple nagging injuries this year.

If he doesn't physically grow, his bust potential is off the charts. He just isn't athletic enough as 2 and is way too small for a 3. That said, he's high risk. 

• Premium Member

I'm sold on Tristin da Silva, that's a high level glue guy whose not afraid to let it fly, a great team defender, plays great off the ball, makes timely decisions, and keeps the ball moving. You have him and Jalen on the court with Trae and teams like Miami are no longer a problem.