• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Eh, I'm out on bigs who can't space the floor nor defend the perimeter.

I've never known you to be in on bigs like this. You always made it clear, you want modern NBA bigs. Switches, can defend in space and on the perimeter, etc. You have never faded from that. JJJ was your guy as well as Jeff Peterson guy. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Nah, I really don’t believe that it’s stuff you throw against the wall it didn’t stick it fell.

Its been mentioned in public our scouting department and the FO loved Kobe Bufkin and were surprised he was there for us to draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I've never known you to be in on bigs like this. You always made it clear, you want modern NBA bigs. Switches, can defend in space and on the perimeter, etc. You have never faded from that. JJJ was your guy as well as Jeff Peterson guy. 

Yep.  I'm much more likely to gravitate towards someone like Kel'el Ware among the bigs.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sothron said:

Its been mentioned in public our scouting department and the FO loved Kobe Bufkin and were surprised he was there for us to draft.

Thanks. Then I hate our scouting  department too, like our front office and owner and all. Ressler is a con man clown 🤡.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yep.  I'm much more likely to gravitate towards someone like Kel'el Ware among the bigs.  

Effort questions

Hustle questions

Injury prone 

Questionable feel for the game. 

Under 230 pounds

That said, he does fit a prototype of the stretch 5 who can rim run, defend the rim and is switchable. He fits an prototype. 

Sarr is probably the player I would figure you would lean to, obviously he's too raw for your preference. But he has the most JJJ of the prospect in this class. 

Edited by NBASupes

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Effort questions

Hustle questions

Injury prone 

Questionable feel for the game. 

Under 230 pounds

That said, he does fit a prototype of the stretch 5 who can rim run, defend the rim and is switchable. He fits an prototype. 

Sarr is probably the player I would figure you would lean to, obviously he's too raw for your preference. But he has the most JJJ of the prospect in this class. 

Sarr is also likely out of range.  He's being projected as a top 3 pick, possibly #1 overall.  I need to listen to the No Ceiling's podcast where they talk about how Sarr is the perfect fit next to Trae.  

It’s kinda funny Edey of all players got a thread on here. I guess maybe warranted cause he’ll be national player of year again but there’s zero inclination the hawks even consider this guy. 

Same things team did to Utah in the playoffs has happened to Edey in the NCAA tournament. Defensively he just isn’t a fit for Quin system. Unless he takes a major fall I don’t expect Edey to even be on their board. Supes makes some good points of why he should be but I still think at his best he’s a backup big in this league. League has moved past this type of big 

45 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Sarr is also likely out of range.  He's being projected as a top 3 pick, possibly #1 overall.  I need to listen to the No Ceiling's podcast where they talk about how Sarr is the perfect fit next to Trae.  

I don't see him as a perfect or even ideal fit but every big gets better with Trae offensively. Primarily 5s which I am not sure Sarr is offensively yet or even in the future.

At the end of the day, I don't believe people understand how valuable BBIQ and feel is to Trae from the center position offensively.  Capela isn't skilled at all but he's made a career in his prime having good feel, being great at big man movement, and screening well. 

The way some people see Trae isn't really what Trae is. 

Edited by NBASupes

22 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It’s kinda funny Edey of all players got a thread on here. I guess maybe warranted cause he’ll be national player of year again but there’s zero inclination the hawks even consider this guy. 

Same things team did to Utah in the playoffs has happened to Edey in the NCAA tournament. Defensively he just isn’t a fit for Quin system. Unless he takes a major fall I don’t expect Edey to even be on their board. Supes makes some good points of why he should be but I still think at his best he’s a backup big in this league. League has moved past this type of big 

Utah only lost one series which was only game 7 to that 5 out bullshit and that was due to Conley being out game 7. That's basically Miami series v. Trae when our bigs were hurt and not anywhere close to 70%. Come on man. This is weak. Minnesota did the best job against Denver of everyone last year. Utah had success in the playoffs with Gobert. Stop assigning one lost as a indicator when it was BS due to an injury.

If Conley played, there would be no way LAC would do a 5 out. It wouldn't work. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't see him as a perfect or even ideal fit but every big gets better with Trae offensively. Primarily 5s which I am not sure Sarr is offensively yet or even in the future.

At the end of the day, I don't believe people understand how valuable BBIQ and feel is to Trae from the center position offensively.  Capela isn't skilled at all but he's made a career in his prime having good feel, being great at big man movement, and screening well. 

The way some people see Trae isn't really what Trae is. 

I haven't looked at him at all since I never thought there would be a chance to get him.  I also agree that Capela's feel for positioning was great for Trae early on.  However, his lack of versatility on offense and defense is a limiting factor for the team.  The team is simply better with Okongwu on the floor even though his ability to shoot the corner three-point shot hasn't manifested in drawing the defender out there just yet.  It will eventually, and the spacing for Trae's penetration game will be much better.  Particularly when you get more consistent catch and shoot players on the wings.  

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I haven't looked at him at all since I never thought there would be a chance to get him.  I also agree that Capela's feel for positioning was great for Trae early on.  However, his lack of versatility on offense and defense is a limiting factor for the team.  The team is simply better with Okongwu on the floor even though his ability to shoot the corner three-point shot hasn't manifested in drawing the defender out there just yet.  It will eventually, and the spacing for Trae's penetration game will be much better.  Particularly when you get more consistent catch and shoot players on the wings.  

OO addition of his range has clearly helped us. That said, there is clearly a gap. OO can be late on reads regardless if it's offense or defense. He doesn't always move into the right spots. He doesn't have a natural feel. Remember when we had Al, it's like his ass never made the wrong decision. Whereas you really can't count on OO. Capela is getting old so he's losing reliability too. I literally watched a game where Capela missed 14 screens in a row. He wasn't trying to slip them either. He just missed them and kept missing them.

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Utah only lost one series which was only game 7 to that 5 out bullshit and that was due to Conley being out game 7. That's basically Miami series v. Trae when our bigs were hurt and not anywhere close to 70%. Come on man. This is weak. Minnesota did the best job against Denver of everyone last year. Utah had success in the playoffs with Gobert. Stop assigning one lost as a indicator when it was BS due to an injury.

If Conley played, there would be no way LAC would do a 5 out. It wouldn't work. 

I mean if you want to say that for gobert that’s fine. Teams killed edey in 5 out last ncaa tournament and defensively is a huge reason teams will not consider him 

fine player but he’s not for the hawks and that’s okay 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I mean if you want to say that for gobert that’s fine. Teams killed edey in 5 out last ncaa tournament and defensively is a huge reason teams will not consider him 

fine player but he’s not for the hawks and that’s okay 

He wasn't anywhere near that good overall last year. He was primarily a short movement and post up guy. 

On 2/20/2024 at 4:15 PM, AHF said:

This is what I'm seeing:

Manute - 200 pounds

Biz Z - 238 pounds

Smits - 250 pounds

Gobert - 258 pounds 

Edey - 300-310 pounds

Ming - 310 pounds

Priest Lauderdale - 325 pounds

I bet Ilguaskas was at least 260 at his peak performance level.  But maybe I am wrong.

My personal belief is that if the Hawks are going to retain the Trae/Murray backcourt and want to invest in another center they need to get one with size and major defensive upside.  Clingan would maybe be a fit but I doubt he is ready to play in year one and he seems injury prone.  

38 minutes ago, Packfill said:

I bet Ilguaskas was at least 260 at his peak performance level.  But maybe I am wrong.

My personal belief is that if the Hawks are going to retain the Trae/Murray backcourt and want to invest in another center they need to get one with size and major defensive upside.  Clingan would maybe be a fit but I doubt he is ready to play in year one and he seems injury prone.  

Clingan is definitely the best fit after Edey. He's top out similar to Clint but he has way more scoring upside. Stamina and health are critical issues for Donovan. 

He also has good defensive potential. 

13 hours ago, KB21 said:

Thats the saving grace for Flip. I really think he's a 4 at the next level. He can't protect the paint to save his life but he can block shots and switch. He's like a better JC without the PnR and movement stuff which doesn't matter as much if you aren't a 5 and you don't have a heliocentric guy like Trae. 

My issue with Flip is his best position is the same as JJ and JJ is better and will continue to be better