• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

@NBASupes:  OK.  I'm sold!  Hawks need size, or so says most all Squawk posters, whom I believe.  This player has size, more than any Hawk and more than most NBA players.

So, he's going to be a second-string center.  Many have wanted 0017 to start.  This works.  Capela needs a new home.  Bruno has more than proved himself as center #3.  

Problem:  I read on HOOPHYPE that Trae is likely to be traded this coming summer.  This would leave us with Murray and Bufkin as our 2 PG's unless we plan on trading both Murray and Young!  This would leave us with Trent Forrest and Kobe Bufkin.

Wonder how many 2nd round picks we could get for those two??

🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

@NBASupes:  OK.  I'm sold!  Hawks need size, or so says most all Squawk posters, whom I believe.  This player has size, more than any Hawk and more than most NBA players.

So, he's going to be a second-string center.  Many have wanted 0017 to start.  This works.  Capela needs a new home.  Bruno has more than proved himself as center #3.  

Problem:  I read on HOOPHYPE that Trae is likely to be traded this coming summer.  This would leave us with Murray and Bufkin as our 2 PG's unless we plan on trading both Murray and Young!  This would leave us with Trent Forrest and Kobe Bufkin.

Wonder how many 2nd round picks we could get for those two??

🤔

Lmao, if we trade Trae, we really don't need Edey. Quin's ideal offense really don't spam and they run a lot of actions. Now Quin can play drop with the best of them considering what he did with Gobert but even that's more player based than anything else. 

Assuming we trade Trae. The ideal pick in this range would be Dalton Kneclt, Terrance Shannon, one of the high end wings, or Donovan Clingan. Maybe Flip. But Edey wouldn't be in my top 10 for the Hawks. You kinda gotta spam 5s to really use him to his potential. Murray is not a spammer unless he's hot and he's spamming himself. 

Assuming we trade both, we probably just need to leave the fanbase for good because that's foolish

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

You know one thing he brings that we’ve been lacking….availability. 
Dude missed like one game out of 120-something games. And that was due to the flu. Pretty remarkable for such a big body. 

That's one of the things I love about Trae as well. He generally plays most games. Availability is a skill

• Like 2

On 2/16/2024 at 10:27 AM, AHF said:

I haven't watched him so I have no opinion on him one way or another.  One question though is around the size thing.  There aren't many players who have been 7'4'' in NBA history.  Today's Sabonis is 6'10'' a size for which they are hundreds of successful players but his dad was a real outlier at 7'3'' and was a generational talent (who came to the US too late in his career) with his mobility, touch, and skill at that size.  Jokic is 6'11'' which is quite common.  Nurkic as a 7'0'' player becomes somewhat more scarce but still a good number of guys who have had long and successful NBA careers at that height.

I guess I just don't really think of guys who are 6'11'' or 7'0'' as being in the same category as guys like Bol who are significantly taller many of whom who seem to struggle more with their size.

7'4'' is really rare.  I can think of Rik Smits who made it work by being quite athletic for his size.  Yao Ming was even bigger and the only thing that really held him back was health as he was very coordinated and mobile for his size.  Arvydas was a unicorn as we discussed (nobody had reservations about him - just a matter of him being eligible and available to play).

There is no doubt in my mind that a guy like Edey (if he delivers like Supes and some others suggest he could) would bring something to the table that CC and OO cannot.  I would also guess if he had the tools of an Arvydas or Smits that he would be a no brainer lottery pick so that he probably doesn't have those gifts.  Who would you guys think are the comps for Edey just from a physical tool standpoint (mobility, strength, etc.)?  (And I'm not talking about 6'11'' or 7'0'' guys but the guys who are the true outliers at 7'3'' or higher.)

For comps I would say Zydrunas Ilgauskas - really tall, skilled, not very mobile.

10 minutes ago, Packfill said:

For comps I would say Zydrunas Ilgauskas - really tall, skilled, not very mobile.

Big Z weighs as much as Gobert. Edey is between 300-310. We are talking about major power differences that show up in FTA rate. We are talking Yao Ming differences. 

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Big Z weighs as much as Gobert. Edey is between 300-310. We are talking about major power differences that show up in FTA rate. We are talking Yao Ming differences. 

This is what I'm seeing:

Manute - 200 pounds

Biz Z - 238 pounds

Smits - 250 pounds

Gobert - 258 pounds 

Edey - 300-310 pounds

Ming - 310 pounds

Priest Lauderdale - 325 pounds

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

This is what I'm seeing:

Manute - 200 pounds

Biz Z - 238 pounds

Smits - 250 pounds

Gobert - 258 pounds 

Edey - 300-310 pounds

Ming - 310 pounds

Priest Lauderdale - 325 pounds

I was looking at combine numbers 

43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Where do most mocks have Edey? Highest and lowest?

Early teens like 13 which is Draft Express aka GMs and Head scouts

30 Vecenie aka theathletic which is collective

In the 40s on nbadraft.net which is mainly scouts. 

Which reflects on what I hear

GMs and leads like him

He's all over the place in general 

Scouts don't really like him like that. 

Coaches really haven't gotten involved yet. They generally enter the process after the RS ends. 

Kobe Bufkin was someone who was really loved by our scouts and FO and they were shocked he was at our pick. I was too but that was due to Howard being drafted way too high. Hawkins was always within our range. Him going one pick before us wasn't a shock